Canada Goose

I also had the same idea, but wonder if the quality and reputation will be the same with the company being sold to Bain Capital. Remember it was Mit Romneys old firm.

• Like 1

I came close to buying last year but I ended up at Mark's Work Wearhouse and bought a parka there. For $250.00 I got a Dakota winter parka which kept me toasty warm...and last year was a bitter f*ckin cold winter. Canada Goose I think is good quality and warm, but also pricey. If you want Canada Goose because of the brand, go for it

If you're looking for good quality winter parkas, Mark's carries them, a lot less expensive too

A rambling

RG

• Like 1

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

I have a Canada Goose parka and it was well worth the money. I bought it about 10 years ago and it continues to serve me well. This was long before the counterfeits hit the market...bought mine at Le Baron when they were in Bells Corners.

Like RoamingGuy said, go to Mark's, better and cheaper.

If you want something fancy I have two Descente parkas and a Descente Coach Coat. They are the best bar none. They have a website you can order from directly.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am an Eddie Bauer fan. I have a parka that I still use for my Winter Chores outside(shoveling,shoveling,shoveling) that is over ten years old. The wolf fur edging on the hood has disappeared but the coat is still very functional with all its goose down insulation.

I think it depends what you want it for? If you live in Toronto probably don't need one as TO doesn't get cold like other parts of the country. But if you want it for style, then go for it.

I know for myself I see lots of people wearing them here in Ottawa and for my tastes I like to be different, and get something different. Plus I don't need an 800 dollar jacket so I'll get something half the price and just as good.

A store to check out would be Sail, carry lots of quality brands... Can't go wrong there.

• Like 1

In Winnipeg a warm coat is a matter of life and death!

My Coach Coat goes past my knees and kept me so warm it was well worth the price...about $600.

• Like 1

Guest Cr**gCa***ng
In Winnipeg a warm coat is a matter of life and death!

My Coach Coat goes past my knees and kept me so warm it was well worth the price...about $600.

I think I paid about $600 plus taxes for my Canada Goose parka 10 years ago. Ottawa winters are nowhere near as cold as the Peg but are often damp and windy. I only wear mine on the coldest of days and stay outdoors with it. I can't wear it to the stores/mall etc or I sweat to death in it. Normally, I only have a t-shirt on under it too. It looks new and I've had it dry cleaned a couple of times and it looks great. If you buy one of these and care for it I am sure it will last you a lifetime or longer. Lots of pockets inside and out with an internal snap in feature to keep the cold from rising up to your torso. If you drive a small car you may find yourself a little scrunched in while driving with it on. I have a large pickup truck so I'm good but if you have a Honda Civic or something like that it will get a little tight behind the wheel. Anyhow, Canada Goose parka and Sorel boots for the coldest days and you are good to go! The hood is awesome too as you can pull it forward and your face is well protected. Get one!!

If you want a warm coat.......take the advice from the WINTER-PEGERS who know what winter is.

Posted via Mobile Device

One thing, I mentioned a Dakota parka at Mark's Work Wearhouse. Don't look in the Men's section (or ladies section if you're a woman) for it. Look in their workwear section. It carries clothes designed for people who have to work outdoors, even in winter, and that's the section I picked my parka up

Good Luck

RG

• Like 1

Personally I like Hoodlamb coats if you are looking for that style, just another option and they don't use real fur or down.

Of course if you are looking for something that is warm and durable for sport something with Primaloft fill (like The North Face "Thermoball") will be good in humid and wet conditions which let's face it winter can be. :)

http://www.hoodlamb.com/

• Like 2

The Coach's Coat has a zip out liner so you can wear it as a trench coat in fall and spring without overheating.

• Like 1

Before considering to buy a Canada Goose coat, I suggest that you read the following article:

http://furbearerdefenders.com/what-we-do/anti-fur-campaign/debunking-canada-goose

#animalcruelty

trapping and killing of wildlife for unnecessary

Ahhhh..... good ol Wiley Coyote ! They are wiley fuckers to say the least.

Come live in my world. If you don't trap or hunt coyotes in the country in western Canada..... ?? You best not have any cows, horses or dogs etc... that you care about. They run in packs, and get bigger and bigger and bigger .... "HOWL" "HOWL" They circle, they are miserable, merciless and they kill and they kill. If you were caught in a trap they would likely circle and howl and let you suffer. Then eat you. Then they get the mange and or rabies and are more dangerous than ever.

I have had a trappers license since I was 12 years old. I don't trap but I shoot. A lot. I help to control the zone around me..... but believe you me folks............trapping in a necessity, has been and will always be a huge part of controlling our animal population. Certain species. I used Coyotes as an example.

And coyotes apparently make a nice hoodie on a Canada Goose ! ;)

Okey dokey. I need a beer now. Phew.

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

We have them up here too. The kill our livestock here and they go after our children here . They will eat your pet cat and dog too. Like the black bear problem up here we have to cull them to keep them in check.

They are moving into urban areas now, they are in Vancouver.

A lot of "wild" animals are becoming accustomed to humans and losing their fear of us. Coyotes killed a woman on Cabot Island in 2009.

They are moving into urban areas now, they are in Vancouver.

A lot of "wild" animals are becoming accustomed to humans and losing their fear of us. Coyotes killed a woman on Cabot Island in 2009.

To be clear they always were in Vancouver, we have just been spreading out into their habitat and with habitat loss they are being forced to adapt and integrate. As we Canadians are deforesting at an alarming rate, (We're number one, we're number one!! oh wait... :icon_frown:) conflict with wildlife will continue to rise and we will need to adapt just as the animals are. We cannot live without them, they have an

and we cannot be the sole gatekeepers of the earth and all of it's habitats/ecosystems, that would be hubris on our part.

In regards to the one woman that was killed by a coyote 5 years ago, ummm... ? Yes it's sad but that is all it is, let's not look to much into it or try to draw meaning from it where there is none. From what I could find you have about 800 people killed by sheep in a year so perhaps we should watch out for the lowly sheep, they are menacing and vicious, sneaky and evil. :icon_wink:

Or perhaps more importantly we can recognize that all human and non-human animal interactions require caution and care but it doesn't mean the animal is bad when someone is injured or killed. Predatory behaviour doesn't actually equal aggression, it's predatory behaviour and there is a difference, respond appropriately and you just might survive (assuming you aren't appropriate prey) but if you act like prey then you might find yourself in trouble. Of course if you respond with aggression then you will escalate a situation, this is true when dealing with anything in life, people or animals as aggression is aggression and we all fight for survival. We like to think we as humans are the ones that will win these interactions but the fact is when you take away our guns we are just poo flinging apes and pretty weak ones at that, not a great match for bears, sharks, wolves and coyotes.

*Now this thread was about coats, perhaps someone has a great coat recommendation for the OP. I'm still on the Hoodlamb ones but Vaute Couture just came out with this one with a Primaloft fill which I think is quite stylish too, definitely a lighter jacket than the Hoodlamb ones but a good around the city jacket. (they also have some nice dress jackets for men)

http://vautecouture.com/collections/men/products/the-derek-in-quilted

Edited by Kyra.Graves
  • Like 2

I have a Canada Goose parka that was a gift from a wealthy cousin that has lived in Yellowknife his whole life. Very warm. He swears by them and is all he buys.

My main winter jacket is a Klim Klimate Jacket from Cabela's. Very very warm but not bulky. I believe it was around 300 bucks. It is not a long jacket though if that is what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Any down jacket I have had lost it's loft of bulk after a couple of years. All the down is in a lump at the hem.Synthetic insulation keeps it's shape longer in my experience.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

While quite happy with my Dakota parka, I wish I still had my parka from my days in the Armed Forces (circa late 1970's) mind you it wouldn't fit now LOL...their gear is damned warm on a cold day

Something else I used for a few winters (but I don't think it would work on a really cold bitter winter day) and it kept me warm was a Bass Pro Shops

100 MPH Rain Jacket. It's Gore Tex, blocked the wind and when worn over layers was warm on a moderate cold winter day...on a bitter cold winter day never tried it

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-100MPH-GORETEX-Light-Jackets-for-Men/product/10210258/

Just thrown out there

RG

• Like 1

Having lived both in the east and west, I can offer the following. In the west there is no question that down filled is the way to go (much warmer overall). But in the east, particularly on the east coast, the dampness and moiture here almost make the down useless as it clumps so quickly and therby loses itsd insulating abilty.

• Like 1