Anime Geeks!!

C'mon... I can't be the only anime nerd on here. So let's see a show of hands!

There are thousands of anime series out there and I always love to talk with fellow otakus to learn about series that I hadn't discovered yet.

But surely everyone - even non anime-geeks - has heard about the new Sailor Moon Crystal series? As an old-school Sailor Moon fan, I was really looking forward to the new series. I like that they have kept true to the old series, but made some changes in plot. And holy smokes, I LOVE Jupiter and Mars' new transformations!

• Like 3

I don't quite qualify 'cause I don't keep up with it; but I have an interest.

Mostly my experience has been with films: I remember being suitably impressed with AKIRA waaaaay back in the day, and absolutely transfixed by GHOST IN THE SHELL a few years later. (For the uninitiated, we're talking 1988 and 1995... well, plus the couple of years it took for such things to reach North America at the time.)

I also watched a good chunk of Cowboy Bebop last year (led to it by "it's like Firefly in Anime!").

But that's hardly the leading edge; I've basically got an interest, but I haven't really taken the full dive yet. Don't really have a guide to help me sift through the mountain and find the gold.

Any suggestions for good stuff to start with these days?

Well, you've seen some of the classics!

Good stuff depends on what you're into. There's a genre for everything. Do you like mecha stuff and sci-fi? Do you like thrillers or horror? Fantasy/adventure?

Time of Eve is a great anime movie. It's about a time when we have real androids who are among us as caretakers. They all have to have a ring projected above their heads so you can tell them apart from humans. It's got some powerful subtext and it's a great story. I definitely recommend it to anyone - anime fan or not.

As for series, I can only recommend ones that I have seen and enjoyed - and I like mostly horror/demon/fantasy stuff.

Death Note. This is a very well known anime series. It's about a kid who finds a shinigami's (Death God's) note book. There are rules about how to use the book. You can specify the exact time and nature of someone's death, and so on. It's a pretty good psychological thriller. Honestly, about half way through it seems the plot is going awry and I almost stopped watching it, but I was glad I kept with it because of the big twist near the end. If you enjoy suspenseful, slightly dark stuff then you'll enjoy Death Note.

I also frequently recommend Black Butler or Kuroshitsuji. It's also a sort of psychological drama, but with more silliness and comedy thrown in. A boy is the heir to a candy empire - set in Victorian London - and his family was killed. Long story short, he made a deal with a demon to get revenge, and this demon became his butler. Ciel - the boy - is called The Queen's Watchdog, among other things, because he is often called upon to investigate things in and around London. So each episode deals with whatever he's investigating, but overall there's a clear reminder that Sebastian - the demon butler - is only in this to eat Ciel's soul. In the end, there is a great twist and Ciel outfoxes the demon. They just rebooted the series as Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus. It's a bit campier than the original series, so I won't recommend it to start. But if you enjoy the original Kuroshitsuji series, you will enjoy the new Book of Circus.

Log Horizon is good. People get trapped in RPG they're playing. There's some comedy as everyone figures things out now that they're living in the game and start doing some minor adventuring. Then it gets a bit more serious as they realize the implications of all the NPGs and the lack of laws and government to keep the players from running amok.

Blood Lad is hilarious and had me in stitches most of the time. It's got some funny references in the first episode about Final Fantasy and Dragon Ball. The protagonist is a vampire from nobility in the demon world, but he hates being a noble due to a falling out with his older brother. This vampire is a HUGE real-world fan, obsessed with anime, video games and otaku culture in the real world. Of course, a human female finds her way to the demon world, and he vows to help her return. Hilarity ensues.

Bleach is a huge franchise, and one of the longest running anime series. It's over now, but I believe the manga is still going strong. It's worth looking into, though it's not everyone's cup of tea. I enjoyed in for the most part. The plot starts with Ichigo, a human who has a natural ability to see spirits. He sees a shinigami who is slaying Hollows (when spirits go bad and become monsters, feeding on other souls) in the human world. He sees her, and shit happens and he gets her powers. The first dozen episodes are developing the relationship between Ichigo and Rukia (the shinigami) and Ichigo's friends in the real world, who turn out to have powers of their own. Shit is happening in Soul Society - Rukia's world - and Ichigo helps out. It's hard to explain because it's such a long-running series. Best to wikipedia it for a more succinct breakdown. But it's good. Because it's such a long series, you really get to know all of the characters, and there's a huge number of them. If you really want to delve into a different world and spend a lot of time there, Bleach is a great option.

Trinity Blood is another favorite of mine - and of many. It's post-apocalyptic where vampires and humans are at war, but many are trying for peace. It's another one that's a bit hard to describe, so wikipedia is a good place to get a better description.

Those are some I would recommend to start. :)

• Like 2

Good stuff depends on what you're into. There's a genre for everything. Do you like mecha stuff and sci-fi? Do you like thrillers or horror? Fantasy/adventure?

Any of those is fine. (Re. fantasy/adventure I remember seeing Ninja Scroll and being really impressed. But oboy am I ever dating myself severely.) I'd say anything with a few layers of meaning will hold my attention, and let the artist tell that story in the genre that works for them. I'm adaptable.

Time of Eve is a great anime movie. It's about a time when we have real androids who are among us as caretakers. They all have to have a ring projected above their heads so you can tell them apart from humans. It's got some powerful subtext and it's a great story. I definitely recommend it to anyone - anime fan or not.

BOOM: Done! That sounds tailor made for me. :)

I'll look into the other things on your list -- thanks again! But I'm looking into getting Time of Eve *right now*.

• Like 1

When in doubt, just Google search for animes you're interested in. There are scads out there.

I saw SAO, but liked Log Horizon better. To each their own.... :)

Hrm... I'll put down a list but am too tired to expand on it aside from name. They are ones that I recommend though.

Bleach is a good show... I just wish they actually ended the anime properly instead of ending where they did.

Fighting anime akin to above:

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Attack on Titan

Black Bullet

Sword Art Online

Ben-To

Samurai Champloo

A bit more silly but still with the fighting:

Naruto

Fairy Tail

Katekyo Hitman Reborn

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Realistic:

Hajime no Ippo

Initial D

Ecchi:

High School DxD

To Love Ru

Sekirei

High School of the Dead

• Like 1

Ha ha! I have most of those myself, and definitely recommend Attack on Titan!

Fairy Tail and Hitman Reborn are awesome!

Bleach did end kind of lamely. The Bounto arc and the last arc were really not highlights for me. Though I did enjoy the zanpaktou arc, which many did not. I will always hold a special place in my .... heart ... for Ulquiorra. So badass! And Yumichka and Ikkaku still crack me up! ^_^

I have Black Bullet, as well as almost a full terabyte of others (yeah, I'm a mega anime geek!!), but I haven't watched it yet. Currently watching Hataraku Maou-sama! and it's pretty enjoyable.

To add to your ecchi list: Demon King. Super ecchi! But not bad!

I admit I'm nerdy & geeky sometimes lol. I used to watch lots of animes in my spare time.

I personally like the artistic side of animes, the interesting characters and the build up of tension

I tend to prefer good action/psychological/thriller type of anime

Here are some of my all time favorite:

Claymore (excellent !! probably the best anime out there, very hard to duplicate)

Death note (excellent, a must see)

Speed Grapher (very good)

Attack on titan (very good)

All of them are very good ! Once you watch a couple episodes, I'm sure that even those who don't watch animes will find them interesting. ;)

• Like 1

Guest M****ella's C****s (retire

I'm like to indulge in a little anime every now and then. I've watched most of what was mentioned already in the thread so I wont reiterate.

However in terms of movies I pretty much love anything by Hayao Miyazaki or that Studio Ghibli produces. They are fun, lighthearted, and filled with whimsy. I've more or less seen them all. And love them all.

I still love all the Disney classics and most of the new animated movies that have come out over the past 10+ years. So this is right up my ally when I'm in the mood for a good movie that makes me smile.

I wish I could have a gigantic Totoro, a cat bus, a flying broom with a talking cat, a walking house I share with a wizard and fire demon, find a castle in the sky, the ability to communicate with forest animals and ride on the back of wolves. To travel to a city and live with spirits, be a tiny fish that runs away, stop a village from enraging giant mutant insects, be a tiny person who is full of adventure... Sigh, I love anime, it's so great. Visually stunning, amazing story plots, packed with bits of humor, adventure, horror, suspense, sadness, grief, and magic....Its a great way to get lost into a whole other world for a little bit :)

I will recommend that anyone watch a Hayao Miyazaki movie. I think they are amazing.

Another recommendation is for Grave of the Fireflies. It's also a great movie.

Miyazaki is a God. And he'll be missed as he put out his last film earlier this year. It's a touching story. His work is always so elegant.

I agree that anime generally has better plots and character development. The psych aspect is present to a greater or lesser degree in the majority of manga/anime, and I really enjoy that aspect of it. And you know... anime men: SMOKIN' HOT!! Jussayin'...

How could I have forgotten Claymore? Yes! That is a great series!

He really is! I was so sad to hear this would be his last film, but he made so many wonderful pieces that I can't be sad or upset for too long. He has left us an amazing legacy to look back on. I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch his last movie :( but I suppose I will have to before the year ends. I think I will always hold a special spot in my anime heart for his works.

And I also agree, anime men are super hot!

Claymore is a great series :)

Miyazaki is a God. And he'll be missed as he put out his last film earlier this year. It's a touching story. His work is always so elegant.

I agree that anime generally has better plots and character development. The psych aspect is present to a greater or lesser degree in the majority of manga/anime, and I really enjoy that aspect of it. And you know... anime men: SMOKIN' HOT!! Jussayin'...

How could I have forgotten Claymore? Yes! That is a great series!

If you like smokin' hot anime men, have you seen the series Uta no Prince-sama? It's totally for the ladies! Or the classic romance series Kaichou wa Maid-sama?

I'm pretty sure I've seen the second, but not the first. From the look and sound of it I may need to invest some time watching it...for research purposes of course, not the drool worth anime boys...Thanks for the recommendation!

I used to be SO into Anime But haven't watched much new in a While. I watched Girls Bravo a little while ago. it was a cute and zany Anime.

But as Total Sailor Moon fan. I will have to check out the crystal series t4518.gif

Altough I don't watch much anymore. I still have Tons of Anime style art on my comp

I'm bumping this up 'cause there's some awesome stuff going on in the anime world!!

Firstly, has anyone else been enjoying the new Sailor Moon Crystal series? It's awesome!! Similar to the original, but better, I think.

Also: they have announced a new Dragon Ball series to start in July. I am beyond excited for this!! Goku and the gang are back :D :D

My fave series from this past winter season:

Death Parade

Assassination Classroom

Akatsuki no Yona

Durarara!! X2

New series for the spring season I am enjoying so far:

Re-Kan!

Owari no Seraph

It's a good time to be an otaku!

Also, if you're curious, you can look up what's airing here:

https://www.livechart.me/spring-2015/tv

As for downloading, kickass torrents is my recommendation. :D

I've always been a fan of anime movies, but I have to admit it used to feel like some of the television series lost a bit in translation. Then I saw "Attack on Titan" and I basically lost my sh*t and devoured all 25 available episodes in a very short period of time. I can't remember the last time I found something so terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

I'm so impatient waiting for the next slew of episodes (still a year away) that I ordered the mangas! Very interesting, and challenging to the brain, to read everything right to left, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

You can get English translated manga if you're not into learning the hiragana and katakana.

AoT is a popular anime, for good reason. They're not all created equal and every now and then you find one that is just amazing. I haven't watched AoT yet as I have so many other anime I am catching up on or just starting to watch. But I don't mind being behind since I won't have to wait a week between episodes that way :D

Wow, there are a ton of solid recommendations on here. I didn't realize how far behind I had fallen in the world of anime!

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned what is probably my favorite anime film, Princess Mononoke, which is both super interesting and visually stunning. Though I guess the people gushing about Miyazaki are probably fans :)