Screeched in St Johns..

I didn't understand what that ment, until I accompanied a sexy client to a pub on George street, where he then "screeched me"

So I ask you all that live here, or have visited, did you partake in this Newfoundland ritual?

• Like 2

I did and I was pretty disappointed. Went to Trapper John's and was given a shot of Screech and kissed a dirty stuff animal and given a nice certificate for about $15. I don't know what I was expecting but a stuffed animal and an uninhibited bartender wasn't it. Maybe it was a bad night.

I visit NF for business often so I'm not a local.

• Like 1

Well people born in Newfoundland don't get Screeched In as they are already Newfoundlanders... by getting Screeched In you join the order of Honory Newfoundlanders. That said I am glad to see you are enjoying your time in NL... kinda wish you had not been busy when i contacted you :

Been screeched more than once, first time I went over to participate in a curling tournie back in the seventies. They're great hosts, but beware that demon screech, it can be rough if drunk in excess.

• Like 3

I was screeched in 6yrs ago at a wedding. Was way more fun! Had to wear a sou'wester, say a NL phrase correctly, kiss a frozen whole cod, take a shot of screech and get a paddle on the ass. Lol hilarious!! Good fun! I've heard great things about George Street! Glad to hear you're having fun :)

• Like 4

Amelia, I'm glad you had a time. Scott125, I'm not sure why you were charged $15 for the screech in process though. I've never witnessed a screech-in from the down town scene in St Johns though. You need to go out around the bay, get away from those townies, lol. Sounds like Miss S Lane did it right in kissing the cod, and the sayings are the true way to do it, not a stuffed animal, lol.

• Like 2

I was Screeched in just like my pal Miss. Lane, the only thing I had to do as well was kiss a puffin butt, may be they were pulling one over on me but hey I kissed a fresh cod too (it was just caught and very fresh) and I was game for almost anything and good fun (we chatted about it during dinner together in Halifax).

It was during a 2 week family visit/vacation to Badger's Quay about 7-8 or so years ago.

Best 2 weeks and the most fun, peaceful beautiful vacation thus far.

Can't wait to go back someday.

• Like 3

Savannah, Lexy,

It sounds like I missed out on some good fun during my only two visits to NL. I'm thinking I should go back for the Screech and to be officially Screeched-in.

Can I brake the tradition of kissing a cod and kiss the two of you instead?

icon10.gif

• Like 3

Savannah, Lexy,

It sounds like I missed out on some good fun during my only two visits to NL. I'm thinking I should go back for the Screech and to be officially Screeched-in.

Can I brake the tradition of kissing a cod and kiss the two of you instead?

icon10.gif

I think 3rd time will be lucky especially if you include Savannah and Lexy.... that said don't leave the poor cod out or for that matter all us NL guys who would be delighted to kiss you.

• Like 1

No, we save it for the visitors darlin. lol!

I've had many friends that have been screeched. One time, the fish was frozen. Not sure if that qualifies as being screeched.

The little newfie

• Like 1

My cod was freshly caught. ( Yuck,lol) The certificate Im going to keep for memorie sakes. Was such a blast. I didn't know it was for visitors only so I've learned something today. Lol.