Question for MOD!!!

I was wondering if you could offer a service where a member can subscribe to cerb via sms (am I using the proper terminology?)

I think it would be simpler if I could reply to my private messages with my cellphone without having to visit the website.

It would be a lot like getting notifications from facebook by means of your cellphone.

Thank you!

Edited by belladonna
hmmm.... what happened to my post?

Yeah...good luck on that one! I think it would require some funky programming and it could also reduce traffic on the site which would subsequently lessen potential for ad revenue. Maybe I'm way off in those assumptions but, if not, it wouldn't make that much sense to spend money to make less.

I know some tricks you can do to make your cell phone smarter and might make things easier for you. Just send me a pm and I'll tell ya ;)

1. It is possible to view this site using a phone's browser using a data plan.

2. To establish a SMS presence this site will have to rent a short code associated with a major carrier. Major carrier tend to shy away from anything related to 'adult' content. Rental of this short code cost money.

3. For every SMS message sent/receive there is an associated cost. A SMS message is restricted to 140 characters, longer then 140 would result in multiple messages sent. i.e. increasing costs.

Technically do-able. Financially....buggernot is on the target.

Etasman (as usual) is right on the money with the technical stuff. I have friends who do adult chat sms stuff however so the adult stuff we could get around but the costs are WAY tooo high.

We would need to have what is called a SMS gateway and the cost per text message would need to be very high to cover the costs for such a low volume usage as we would have here.

For a non-profit site like this it would not even be something we could consider at this time.

This site is set up to access from a cell phone so get a blackberry or palm or iphone and you won't need to worry about SMS or anything like that. Just bookmark your PM area on your phone browser and set up email to text message notifications so if something of interest comes in just open your phone web browser and away you go.

The dataplan on your phone is WAY cheaper then using a SMS gateway as it would be at least 1.50 per text message send through the site in order to just cover the costs I bet.

Speaking about the mobile website . Is there plan to add or update the look for iphone / black berry users ? I would like more info when I click on someone profile like pictures / contact info ? on the mobile site that is .

Do you think the Iphone or BlackBerry should see the normal website? I don't have a Iphone (I have a palm) and the mobile setting for the palm is great.

I know with BB you dont see pics and that user info would be good as well I had Palm before it was better than BB

Why don't you see pics on the black berries? Is it a specific model? They should get the same stuff as the palm and iphone get I would think... maybe it cuts the pics out to save bandwidth.

Am talking about when I click on someone profile we dont get much options other then pm them . If you don't have an iphone you can use a Itouch on wifi ?

Why don't you see pics on the black berries? Is it a specific model? They should get the same stuff as the palm and iphone get I would think... maybe it cuts the pics out to save bandwidth.

Ok, I hacked in the ability to view album photos in each persons profile VIA mobile device. Now remember I don't have a iphone or BBerry ... just a palm and the battery is dead right now so I can't even look at it myself (I just viewed it on my computer) but it looks like it is working. Let me know if it works or causes problems for anyone please.

The guestbook wall you mean? Not at this time... what did you mean by the "Info Panel" the "About Me" tab?

On the sign my Guest book tab there about me , statistic , Friends , Contact info .

Just wondering if we could see any of thoese tabs like contact info and statistics ?

Will see what I can do... those may be a little more tricky and we don't want to overload the mobile version

I actually dont know, that is a good point however as I should have some tracking for that.

Sorry for bumping this old thread but just noticed this new feature. I really like the ability to see the

albums when selecting the user. Works great from my iPhone.

Thanks again Mod.

Posted via Mobile Device