Do's and Don'ts before getting intimate

I read from someone who had spoken to a relative that is in health care, that brushing teeth before encounter should be a no-no because of the risk of bleeding gums that will allow a possible unwanted bacteria into your body. So it would be like an open cut. It is advisable to brush your teeth and wait at least an hour before encounter and then after brushing and before encounter, use mouthwash if you like.

Good advice I think because I always knew you shouldn't brush to soon before but was not sure of the time lapse that would keep you safe.

Does anyone else have advice about grooming etc that will you keep you as safe as possible?

• Like 3

I brush my teeth at the beginning and end of each day and mouthwash before and after each client visits... Not brushing immediately before or after lowers your risk of infection and HIV transmission is what I was told by the health unit staff.

All new tattoos, piercings and body mods should be covered for the first 10days during an encounter. After that avoid direct contact with bodily fluids.

I always have a shower before a client and make sure to wash afterwards as well. Do not use regular soap on your genitals however. This can lead to a PH imbalance, BV and yeast infections. I like to go with the intimate wash from Summer's Eve (I get it at shoppers)

Also use one hand on you and one hand on them I never apply lube to me with the same hand I applied to them. This helps prevent the spread of bacteria and sti's. Super easy steps that I have seen a lot of people miss. I also ask clients to avoid touching my intimate areas if they have touched themselves.

Put out some sanitizer! I didn't do this for the first year I worked as an SP and was constantly getting sick. Colds, flu, viruses, strep... Bleh. Put out a bottle of hand sanitizer and boom! No more sick Kate! Saved me tonnes of time off and lots of money on prescriptions.

• Like 4

The suggestion to not brush your teeth before an encounter is interesting as I learned from a very wise lady that having fresh breath is not a nicety but is a requirement... As a result of learning that I have always kept a toothbrush... toothpaste and mouthwash in my car for use immediately before seeing the lady.

I have to admit the idea of not irritating your gums to reduce chances of HIV transmission kinda makes sense... I would love to her some more Ladies comments.

Mouthwash!!! But not the cheap stuff. I go to the dentist every 4 months (yup, a bit anal) she gave me a hard time because I used it too often. Her reco was Listerine total care. I am on the bandwagon of not brushing just prior to an encounter. If your teeth are in good condition, brushing in the morning and before bed is sufficient. If you have eaten something that could be offensive...breath mints?..excel!

• Like 6

You should not brush or floss your teeth shortly before having sex. Instead use a mouthwash, breath mint or gum. Brushing or flossing your teeth can cause small amounts of bleeding on the gums. Since blood is a bodily fluid, this increases the risk to your partner. Simultaneously, it presents a risk to you since you now have an opening in the mucous membrane of your mouth through which infection can enter. Most sources I've read suggest a minimum of 30 minutes between brushing or flossing and having sex. This particular source is more conservative and recommends 2 hours.

I should add that the risk of HIV transmission from oral sex is very low. In addition, there doesn't appear to be any certainty around the number of infections in which teeth brushing/flossing was the sole risk factor. Having said that it's an easy risk factor to eliminate simply by using mouthwash etc.

I've attached a fact sheet on HIV and factors affecting HIV transmission. Here's a few essential quotes relevant to teeth brushing/flossing.

HIV can get into the blood through breaks in the skin (for example, wounds or open sores) or by passing through a mucous membrane.

Mucous membranes are tissues that line the surfaces of body cavities, such as the nostrils, mouth, throat, vagina, urethra, anus and rectum.

Brushing or flossing teeth can cause minor cuts, abrasions and inflammation, which can increase the risk of HIV infection. It is advisable to avoid performing oral sex for up to two hours after brushing or flossing so the gums have a chance to heal.

http://www.catie.ca/en/fact-sheets/prevention/hiv-transmission-overview

Edited by cyclo
Clarify that risk factor is low.
  • Like 8

The suggestion to not brush your teeth before an encounter is interesting as I learned from a very wise lady that having fresh breath is not a nicety but is a requirement... As a result of learning that I have always kept a toothbrush... toothpaste and mouthwash in my car for use immediately before seeing the lady.

I have to admit the idea of not irritating your gums to reduce chances of HIV transmission kinda makes sense... I would love to her some more Ladies comments.

other ladies comments will not reduce transmission of sti if your gums have been irritated. It was a HEALTH CARE WORKER that said brush at least an hour before encounter. Otherwise, use mouthwash and/or chew gum before if you are worried about bad breath. If your breath gets that bad that mouthwash or gum won't do anything, then start flossing (as a daily routine) and seeing your dentist more often. Or you are could be having digestive problems. So a clean mouth won't do anything for that.

But it is nice to know that some people will brush to start an appt and could be irritating their gums or make them bleed, which makes even kissing a higher risk activity.

• Like 2

It is true, brushing/flossing within, actually, 4 hours* of intercourse may facilitate unwanted fluid transfer. Chewing gum may also cause small tears, as well. Also, keep in mind that in order to transfer HIV to a partner, there usually has to be significant amounts of fluid exposure. Delayed tooth-brushing is a practice to prevent general fluid transfer, as opposed to solely preventing HIV.

You are correct, Ice4Fun, fresh breath is always of utmost importance. If you are worried about your breath prior to appointment, breath strips and mouthwash are always your safest bet. And never turn down the offer of mouthwash when you enter the room!

Also, shaving and/or waxing close to an appointment creates the same issue. Allow at least 4 hours for any micro-tears to heal.

And don't forget, there is also the much-overlooked hangnail. If you or your partner has damaged cuticles on your hands, and use uncovered hands during digital penetration, you may run into the same fluid-tranfer issue.

*Source: my dentist

• Like 4

Ok this is going to sound disgusting but pin worms are very easy to get from certain activities from mouth contact in the very low nether regions and then if you kiss the person. These worms lay their eggs in that area and people get very itchy ass at night. I always discourage anything to do with that area esp if kissing is involved.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 5

Ok this is going to sound disgusting but pin worms are very easy to get from certain activities from mouth contact in the very low nether regions and then if you kiss the person. These worms lay their eggs in that area and people get very itchy ass at night. I always discourage anything to do with that area esp if kissing is involved.

Posted via Mobile Device

I was going to talk about anti-acids. Kind of related in that 'area' of the body. If you are taking anti-acids, it actually reduces you natural defenses to fend off what might be normal things (like bacteria and such) in your stomach. And could cause you to become sick.

Stomach acid is there and is useful for keeping us well (as i believe it does a good job killing the offenders) and if you take ANTI-acids that will reduce your ability to stay well when confronting a bacteria (or whatever) when your stomach is in a normal state.

And thank you for advice about pinworms. I never thought of that. Do you think 'covered' activities for that are ok? like a dental dam?

• Like 1

I was going to talk about anti-acids. Kind of related in that 'area' of the body. If you are taking anti-acids, it actually reduces you natural defenses to fend off what might be normal things (like bacteria and such) in your stomach. And could cause you to become sick.

Stomach acid is there and is useful for keeping us well (as i believe it does a good job killing the offenders) and if you take ANTI-acids that will reduce your ability to stay well when confronting a bacteria (or whatever) when your stomach is in a normal state.

And thank you for advice about pinworms. I never thought of that. Do you think 'covered' activities for that are ok? like a dental dam?

I just found an article related to oral and pinworms. Anything that has to do with fecal matter in that region can be spread through the hands and mouth. It may take some time to pass through but pinworms lay their eggs in the anus which is why people get itchy down there. They usually come out at night. Pardon my language but anything from ass to mouth is how this spreads when people get intimate.

http://advocatesaz.org/2012/01/03/sti-awareness-intestinal-parasites/

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

I would think a dental dam would be okay but don't quote me on that.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

Guest Na****a***mers (RETIRED)

Probably a #1 advice:

Stay home if you are sick or feel like you are coming down with something!

How about DO get comfortable and be open. It allows for discussion, if necessary, about the personal things you will be doing together. And staying (sexually) safe through the time spent together.

I have been in relationships where being intimate was the 'no talking' zone. And now I realize that was the wrong way to do things. I am much more open now. And if I have a question, I am comfortable enough to ask it. And it has resulted in much more fun for me. And my guy too!