Pilates and boxing class

There are many studios that provide the services you are looking for. I like taking a class versus just going to a gym. Open classes are semi-private and if you go to a smaller studio, you will get quite a bit of one on one time (so much cheaper than a personal trainer). There's also studios that have a selection of classes for variety. I say check online for a studio near you. Type in semi-private gym classes and add the type of class you want to take, if you wish. Just like any gym you will have to pay for a membership. It will vary from gym to gym to the length of time you have to pay. However, most gyms will allow you to pay from month to month. I find semi-private gyms are warm and friendly and they go out of their way to help you/make you feel comfortable.

Also, bigger gyms like Good-life have classes but I find them a bit crowded.

Personally, I like working out at home and use beachbody.com videos.

Click here for a great video.

I hope this is helpful.

XoXo

Peachy/Val.

Thanks a lot, your post is very informative.

I went to Planet Fitness, it was great but there are too many machines, they make me feel overwhelmed ! Love to do pilates because it seems you move all your body and control your breath. Well I have to go to studio or a gym to have motivation lol

Crossfit will be more efficient than and get you into better functional fitness than two separate classes of other sports.

I would never recommend any large commercial gym. Planet Fitness has a particularly bad reputation. Many fitness forums have disturbing threads about them.

You should never feel overwhelmed at a gym. Instead of a commercial place you could try a community owned gym or the YMCA. Winnipeg has a lot of city gyms and they are fine. Staffers will explain all the machines. I train at an excellent university fitness facility. If you want advice there is nobody better than a phys ed or kinesiology student.

• Like 1

Contact sports a really not a good idea, if you want to avoid bruises.

There's a lot of combat sports, where you can learn to defend yourself, that are very smooth, but can be very efficient.

AïkiBuDo and TaïChi are somewhat similar to Pilates or Yoga, and are excellent self-defense!

You have numerous good gyms around, and some classes are also given outdoors.

There's a boxing gym in the exchange that I've heard good things about.

Personally, I prefer following along with videos and working out on my own, but obvs that's less effective if you're hoping to practice sparring/self defence.