sex.com goes tits-up

Guest W***ledi*Time

There is a big market for premium domain names. If any of you have some spare change lying around, you may be interested in an auction scheduled to take place 18 March 2010 at the New York offices of Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP. Bring a certified cheque for $1 million just to gain admittance. For sale: sex.com.

The last time the name sex.com changed hands, it was for $14 million in 2006. The name was used as collateral for a loan which is in default.

With Internet companies also being affected by the recession, will Sex.com fetch at least what it cost the last buyer?

.... the site receives a total of 120,000 unique visits each month so its easy to assume that the site is not making the kind of money that would justify a $14 Million selling price. However, it is also one of the most wanted properties on the web and there is a chance the new buyer might be able to turn it around. Previously, Toys.com was sold for $5.1 Million and Candy.com sold for $3 Million.

More at:

http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/sex-com-up-for-sale-can-it-fetch-14-million-again.html

Guest s******ecan****

I'm really not surprised this venture failed. I mean everyone knows sex doesen't sell. There is nothing really "sexy" about sex. Sex is so 1950's. I'd sooner meet with my insurance agent than have sex.

My advice if you have the $$ stick to something hot.... like potato futures.

I doubt I have enough spare change in my sporran for this purchase unless I can manage a leveraged loan.

And, as I recall, the efficiency of a lever depends on its length. So no chance there either.

Mind you, if I was the owner there would be no chance of it going "tits up".

Can businesses go "nipples up"?

Google's brilliant search engine killed any notion that you had to have a very specific name to type in the address bar. Plus, anyone that has the cash to buy the domain name for sex.com will inevitably make a shitty vanilla website that costs too much and offers very little.

Anyone remember the much ado about nothing that was the .tv bidding? When was the last time you visited a site with that suffix?