B.C. community latest to consider outing johns

B.C. community latest to consider outing johns

( http://www.montrealgazette.com/community+latest+consider+outing+johns/2703953/story.html )

By Douglas Quan, Canwest News Service March 19, 2010

Collectively, they are known as "johns."

But men who are caught hooking up with prostitutes in Merritt, B.C., could soon be known by their real names.

Police in the small town about 250 kilometres east of Vancouver say they are considering joining scores of other law enforcement agencies across North America, including ones in Alberta and Ontario, that have turned to public shaming as a way to deter prostitution.

The plan is to release to local media outlets the names of accused johns once they've been charged, said Staff Sgt. Scott Tod, commander of the RCMP detachment in Merritt.

"The reality is we live in a small town. Everyone knows each other. Seeing your name in the paper has far more impact," he said.

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is opposed to the practice.

It punishes the person before they've been convicted, said Nathalie DesRosiers, the association's general counsel.

"What if they're not guilty? They will already have been punished," she said.

Kate Gibson, executive director of Vancouver's WISH Drop-In Centre, which provides services to female sex-trade workers, said she worries such a tactic could drive prostitution further underground.

"It surprises me that there are people going in that direction. What does it serve to do?" she said. "If there's a problem with public disorder, then there's probably more imaginative ways of coping with that and supporting those in need."

In Lethbridge, Alta., where the police department started identifying accused johns and prostitutes last October, there has been some backlash from relatives of those named, said Chief Tom McKenzie.

But the practice is no different from the department's practice of identifying people who've been charged in connection with property crimes, impaired driving and other offences, he said.

McKenzie said he thinks the naming policy has probably made men think twice about soliciting prostitutes.

"If people think, 'My name will appear in the paper,' it will deter behaviours," he said.

McKenzie added that smaller communities like his lack the resources and social agencies to help prostitutes and their clients.

The police department in Belleville, Ont., started naming johns and prostitutes last August, and it seems to have had the effect of reducing demand, said spokeswoman Sgt. Julie Forestell.

"Business is all about supply and demand. If there's no demand, maybe suppliers will have to go to another business," she said.

In the U.S., some municipalities have gone further by publicizing the names of accused johns on local television programs and websites.

Last year, the city of Minneapolis beefed up its approach dealing with johns.

In the past, a convicted john there could waive that conviction if he agreed to go through a restorative treatment program, or "john school." But now, they can no longer waive that conviction and are required to go through treatment.

Plus, their names and pictures remain on a website, www.johnspics.org.

Councilman Gary Schiff said the city has seen a dramatic reduction in prostitution. It takes police twice as long to make an arrest now when they conduct a sting, he said.

Michael Shively, senior associate at Abt Associates in Cambridge, Mass., is doing a study on prostitution intervention programs across the U.S.

He says he's aware of about 350 cities and counties that routinely publicize the names ? and, in some cases, pictures ? of accused johns. Though not totally proven, he said such a tactic probably does have the effect of deterring some men.

The one downside, he said, is "collateral damage" to spouses and children.

Shively said the best approach for dealing with johns is one that combines punishment with education ? teaching johns about health risks and exposing them to stories of the lives of prostitutes.

Normally when you read these articles the attachment is to SW's, (that is my take on it).

How often do read in your paper a raid for bawdy house, there was 1 in Ottawa recently. That has been about it in the past year, so I would say they more after the SW's.

I know in in our town there is areas they continue to try to "clean up the areas" But the SW's are always right back in those areas, day's or even a day later.

Normally when you read these articles the attachment is to SW's, (that is my take on it).

How often do read in your paper a raid for bawdy house, there was 1 in Ottawa recently. That has been about it in the past year, so I would say they more after the SW's.

I know in in our town there is areas they continue to try to "clean up the areas" But the SW's are always right back in those areas, day's or even a day later.

They did have a massage parlor bust a year or so back that made the news (and was posted on other review boards). Related to "human trafficking" Turns out, hardly any where "trafficked"

Come to think of it, it IS the SW that carry the most heat, and are on the presence of LE radar. Never had a problem anywhere here working as an independent.

I can only imagine how that scheme is going to ruffle feathers, and shit will fly to speak, if they do go with it. Far as I know, there isn't any place in BC that does that practice of outting the john's.