Webcam Without Drivers

I picked up a web cam last night, lo and behold it didn't come with the driver disk, is that the norm these days? It is a basic model, works just fine, plugged it into the USB and I was rolling. Weird if you ask me:lol:

Many USB devices do not need driver disks... but most camera's come with some specific software for that particular camera. If you go to the manufactures website chances are they have some download stuff for the product. Was this a new camera or used and the person did not have a disk still?

You can usually google the drivers for the webcam. it depends on the model number do you have the box on there will have the model number and company name of the webcam so you can install its' drivers.

I suggest in the future to get a logitech webcam because no matter which one you have it will work wtih the logitech software.

Many USB devices do not need driver disks... but most camera's come with some specific software for that particular camera. If you go to the manufactures website chances are they have some download stuff for the product. Was this a new camera or used and the person did not have a disk still?

Brand new, from Wal-Mart as of last night. This is the first time I have ever encountered a web cam WITHOUT a driver disk, it was just PNP (never knew they made them like that)

the windows and max can auto detect and find the driver for all the popular manufacturers.. true plug and play

More than ever with vista and Windows 7 it is not required to have a separate driver disk

usually the bundle additional software that let's you do weird things like put a cartoon hat on you and stuff like that.

Consider yourself lucky not having to install anything.

Posted via Mobile Device

Consider yourself lucky not having to install anything.

Posted via Mobile Device

That's exactly what I was thinking last night, I don't think the CD ROM on this computer even works:lol: Thank you for all of the replies, both ladies and gents. The webcam DOES work, this was the first time I ever bought something that didn't come with a driver disk.

Although, I think I will upgrade for a better model soon.

That's exactly what I was thinking last night, I don't think the CD ROM on this computer even works:lol: Thank you for all of the replies, both ladies and gents. The webcam DOES work, this was the first time I ever bought something that didn't come with a driver disk.

Although, I think I will upgrade for a better model soon.

When you decided to upgrade go with a logitech. I talk about them on my other site camgirlhandbook.com

I agree... logitech cams are good for the price for sure! They have HiDef cams now as well. The other popular cams are microsoft life cams. (The software for most webcams do often have conflicts with other stuff so you never know if the install of a webcam will be smooth or not).

When you plugged in your USB webcam it did install a driver in the background. It obviously uses a generic driver included in windows so the system was able to identify the device and install it without the need for a install disk or download. I think this is better as the "Software" that comes with most of these webcams causes the majority of the conflicts.

For example... if you install a webcam and run the software that came with it and while that software is running you try to use something like Skype or MSN Messanger chances are it will not work. You will need to CLOSE the software that came with the webcam and than go into Skype or MSN as the video input source (USB webcam) can only usually be used with ONE software platform at a time.

Many people buy webcams, install the software and think they have to run the software that came with the device first in order to use MSN or SKYPE or any video capture stuff... This stumps a LOT of people!! I have fixed COUNTLESS computers for people as they tell me that skype or msn will not work with the webcam. Some tell me the audio works and not the video (That is usually a sure sign it's the software that came with the cam - the microsoft life cam software and the older logitech cams are famous for this issue).

Not sure about the newest stuff but most people buy the cheap 35 or less dollar cams and these seam to be the ones that have issues like this.