In Private

I, like many hobbiest's, have to use a family pc to access CERB. Does anyone have any info on the reliability/ security/safety of using internet expoler's InPrivate Browsing system. Does it really erase cookies and temporary files and browsing history like it says it does.

Lloyd21

Guest C**Tra****er

Another nod for Firefox. Use the 'Private Browsing' mode and it will not save any passwords, history or cookies, unless those sites were opened in non-private mode.

Regarding, "I only use Firefox now, it erases browser history upon closing."

I suggest, checking your settings to be sure.

Tools=> Options==> Privacy=> check the desired box, Test.

Although erasing the "history upon closing" will prevent people from casually finding out what you have been up to. If someone does a bit of work you could still be found out pretty easily.

A much better way is to use Portable Apps running out of an encrypted of drive.

First step would be to download something like Truecrypt from http://www.truecrypt.org

Truecrypt allows you to do a bunch of different things. For our purposes create a 1GB encrypted container. You can decide if a regular or hidden (gives you plausible deniability) volume suites your prupose.

Once the volume is created, you mount it using the software and it shows up as a drive on your computer.

Next step is to go to http://portableapps.com/download and download the "Suite Light" or "Suite Standard" if you prefer.

Once it's downloaded, run the installer and have the applications install to the encrypted drive. When it's done there will be a shortcut "StartPortableApps - Shortcut" in the root directory of the encrypted drive.

Double-Click that shortcut and the Portable Apps Launcher will come up. One of the apps in Suite Light and Suite Standard is Firefox.

Click on the icon and voila, you have Firefox from the encrypted drive running.

A couple of things to remember. If you already have Firefox installed on your computer you cannot run that one and the Portable Apps version at the SAME time. Also, any Add-ins, like Flash, will need to be installed on the Portable Apps Firefox even though they are on your existing copy.

Other Option:

Truecrypt does not have to be "installed" on your machine. One of the options is to run it as a standalone program. This allows you to put Truecrypt and the encrypted file on a USB stick. Makes the whole setup portable.

Check out some of the other Portable Apps. Thunderbird for email, Pidgin does IM for MSN, Yahoo and others, KeePass for password management,...

Caveats:

This does not prevent someone from finding you out if they are logging your keystrokes or visited IP's using an application like Cybersitter or a keylogger. That's a whole different discussion.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I have ccleaner it is great i have 2 puters running ie8 cc will completely clean on one but not other I have tried everything it keeps one page that I cant clear mind boggling

For those using the InPrivate mdoe in IE8, ensure you enable the option "Do not collect data for use by InPrivate Filtering". It's in the Privacy tab in Internet Options.

Although erasing the "history upon closing" will prevent people from casually finding out what you have been up to. If someone does a bit of work you could still be found out pretty easily.

A much better way is to use Portable Apps running out of an encrypted of drive.

First step would be to download something like Truecrypt from http://www.truecrypt.org

Truecrypt allows you to do a bunch of different things. For our purposes create a 1GB encrypted container. You can decide if a regular or hidden (gives you plausible deniability) volume suites your prupose.

Once the volume is created, you mount it using the software and it shows up as a drive on your computer.

Next step is to go to http://portableapps.com/download and download the "Suite Light" or "Suite Standard" if you prefer.

Once it's downloaded, run the installer and have the applications install to the encrypted drive. When it's done there will be a shortcut "StartPortableApps - Shortcut" in the root directory of the encrypted drive.

Double-Click that shortcut and the Portable Apps Launcher will come up. One of the apps in Suite Light and Suite Standard is Firefox.

Click on the icon and voila, you have Firefox from the encrypted drive running.

A couple of things to remember. If you already have Firefox installed on your computer you cannot run that one and the Portable Apps version at the SAME time. Also, any Add-ins, like Flash, will need to be installed on the Portable Apps Firefox even though they are on your existing copy.

Other Option:

Truecrypt does not have to be "installed" on your machine. One of the options is to run it as a standalone program. This allows you to put Truecrypt and the encrypted file on a USB stick. Makes the whole setup portable.

Check out some of the other Portable Apps. Thunderbird for email, Pidgin does IM for MSN, Yahoo and others, KeePass for password management,...

Caveats:

This does not prevent someone from finding you out if they are logging your keystrokes or visited IP's using an application like Cybersitter or a keylogger. That's a whole different discussion.

What a great reply.

Well done to say the least.

Visiting Ottawa , And my Daughter has lost her Black beery , Months ago

She has not budged me for a new one.. I thought I get a (used) cell while I'm here.. Any help on where I can Look??

Thanks

Guest Ou**or**n
Visiting Ottawa , And my Daughter has lost her Black beery , Months ago

She has not budged me for a new one.. I thought I get a (used) cell while I'm here.. Any help on where I can Look??

Thanks

For used cells checkout either eBay or Kijiji if you want something local and fast.