200-year-old sex toys sold at auction

Guest W***ledi*Time

Not an important point, but appears to me more like ebony, very black.

Rosewood is usually dark brown (sometimes with purplish tint)

Both woods are very hard, dense and polish up very smooth.

Edited by W***ledi*Time
spelling

Guest W***ledi*Time
... appears to me more like ebony, very black.

Rosewood is usually dark brown (sometimes with purplish tint)

Both woods are very hard, dense and polish up very smooth.

Thanks, SR -- you're no doubt right. There was only one news story that stated they were Rosewood:

http://www.anorak.co.uk/243694/the-consumer/in-pictures-those-18th-century-recycled-rosewood-sex-toys-are-sold-in-essex.html

Now that I check the auction catalogue, the auction house itself doesn't make any claim about the type of wood:

Erotica. An extraordinary and exceptionally rare 'Travel Godermiche' being a pair of wooden phallus contained within a fitted kid leather covered Treen case with strap fleurs-de-lys decoration, one phallus 10 inches and with testicles and the other 11 inches and without testicles. The case, although having a re-lined interior appears to have age commensurate with those of the phallus and both are thought to date from the late 18th century and are probably French.

http://www.brentwoodantiquesauction.co.uk/product.php?product_no=340&prod_no_lt=

Worked a few years in a custom furniture shop. I was given all the fussy jobs, like repairing a set of of ornamental solid rosewood chairs, broken in transport from India. After hours I built guitars.

My Profile Pic is my "piece de resistance", rosewood, koa, ebony, macassar ebony and curly maple

Some say guitars are phallic symbols. (but also functional art)

The key to fine woodwork (like sex) is patient stress relief of the raw wood(y) !

I saw items like this in the Sex Museum in Amsterdam (among other stuff....LOTS of other stuff). Did they carbon date these or what? How can you tell if a wood dildo is 200 years old? DNA test the stains on it? :)

Guys discussing wood. (Wonder what the girls think.) :roll:

All wood is porous, so how could it be sanitary ?

No problem, according to -

http://www.jildos.com/

"We leave no tool marks that could harbor bacteria. Jildos are then sanded numerous times in progressively smaller increments (you will NEVER get a splinter from our Jildos!) before being completely sealed. We apply multiple coats of the best, food safe finish available. This is literally the same finish used in salad bowls and tongs. Jildos are then polished with carnauba wax, used in the pharmaceutical industry to coat many pills."

"Caring for your Jildo is simple. After each use, wash with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth. You can also disinfect your jildo with alcohol. Your jildo is safe with all personal lubricants, too. Use the wax packet provided to restore your Jildo?s natural glow. Just rub on and buff off."

Yes I agree, buff your wood regularly.:)