Very sad.

The issue of female self immolation is increasing in prevalence in the region close to the border with Iran, as tensions rise between the traditional subordinate role of women and the increased awareness of women's rights in the wider world.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=97967452&EditorialProduct=News

I had to look this word up. To everybody else, like myself, who does not know the definition, it means:

to offer or kill as a sacrifice.

This is most disturbing. Bella thanks for bring this to my attention. I can not imagine how a woman could end up in the state of mind, where one's sense of worth has been so eroded that this is all that is left in life.

Very sad indeed.

Self-immolation is often used to refer to suicide by fire.

Horrible way to go. :(

I had no idea what the word meant until I read this thread. I feel sad for those woman, and it also makes me shake my head. :cry: I too also can't imagine what life would be like to feel like that was your only option.

Its seeing things like this that make us realize how lucky we are to call Canada home. It is far from perfect, but far better than what these women are forced to endure.And the scary thing is, there are women who are treated just as bad or even worse in so many parts of the world. Makes you wonder, if there is a God, does He have a soul?

Having served in both Afganistan and Iraq, I have seen the results up close of self-immolation. It is heart wrenching to see, and a strong reminder how lucky we are. This is also a wake up call for those who have no idea of the plight of women in other countries!

WTF!?! That is absolutely brutal!!!

Forgive my ignorance, but am to understand that these women are doing this to themselves in protest???

If I am understanding this correctly - I can't imagine what someone must be feeling to believe that this is going to help them. That's seriously insane.

I must be misunderstanding something though... really... Wouldn't it make more sense to do that to the bastards responsible? Seriously, light him up in his bed while he's sleeping... that'll make a point... Every woman do it to every single abusive SOB... that'll really get someone's attention.

Are these women protesting for or against women's rights? Are these women so oppressed that they're afraid to do anything to anyone other than themselves?

Please, I'm not being a smart ass, I really don't understand why these women would do this to themselves. Belladonna, do you have more information you could share on this?

WTF!?! That is absolutely brutal!!!

Forgive my ignorance, but am to understand that these women are doing this to themselves in protest???

If I am understanding this correctly - I can't imagine what someone must be feeling to believe that this is going to help them. That's seriously insane.

I must be misunderstanding something though... really... Wouldn't it make more sense to do that to the bastards responsible? Seriously, light him up in his bed while he's sleeping... that'll make a point... Every woman do it to every single abusive SOB... that'll really get someone's attention.

Are these women protesting for or against women's rights? Are these women so oppressed that they're afraid to do anything to anyone other than themselves?

Please, I'm not being a smart ass, I really don't understand why these women would do this to themselves. Belladonna, do you have more information you could share on this?

I am not 100% sure. But if a woman attempts to fight back (set SOB on fire), her extended family will be dis-honoured. Her kids, parents etc could be also blamed for her actions. This is the most desperate form of protest. The issue runs deeper than what is presented here. Sadly!! HUMAN RIGHTS is not in their vocabulary.

SNS724

Might I add that the more horror there is, the more we notice it. We need to start noticing what's going on outside of our own spaces, countries, cubicles....

If only I knew what I could do to help.

This is very sad. Is there a website with more information? It brakes my heart to think that I have all this freedom and women out there are fighting for their lives. At sexapoloza there was an informational booth about how children have their genitals deformed in brutal ways. They also had a donation section and a website. (I don't know what it is called now) Is there anyway we can donate, money, clothes or food for these deserving people? Remember when you are in a desperate situation. You have to go to great lengths to prove yourself. For example: hunger strikes, the french revolution and I can go on and on. I hope these women get to have rights that we so much enjoy. Also a thank you to the brave solders to go out fighting and helping these people.