Iphone Unlocking

Are there any reliable places here in Ottawa, that I could get my iphone unlocked and jail breaked?

I googled it, and thought about doing it on my own, but I am not that tech literate:lol:

Should I get this done or not, I have heard that it can also really mess up your phone!

If you do this none of the OS updates would work... I don't know of any PAID place that would do this as I beleive doing this would break the TOS (Terms of service) I think this is something you probably have to do yourself... and if you break it your pretty much SOL.

Why do you want to jailbreak it? Is their an app you want that is not available in itunes as it was not approved? Any "Adult" app now requires a jailbreak phone unless apple put back the adult section (The took it away last I heard)

If you do this none of the OS updates would work... I don't know of any PAID place that would do this as I beleive doing this would break the TOS (Terms of service) I think this is something you probably have to do yourself... and if you break it your pretty much SOL.

Why do you want to jailbreak it? Is their an app you want that is not available in itunes as it was not approved? Any "Adult" app now requires a jailbreak phone unless apple put back the adult section (The took it away last I heard)

As far as I know, it would be legal to get it unlocked?! as for the jail breaking, I thought that was something you should have done as well, if its not necessary, then why do it:confused:

Jailbreaking is only necessary if you want to do things with the iphone that apple does not let you do.

For example

-if you want to install a 3rd party app that is NOT in the Itunes store such as an adult application or maybe a app like cycorder that turns the camera into a video recorder

-Unlocking it from a locked cell phone provider (sprint,rogers,bell,etc..)

-Change the skin (The look and feel of the main iphone menus - customize it more)

-run unix application (For the hard core geeks)

-etc...

The average person should never need to jailbreak the phone and the most common reason is to switch providers without having to buy a new phone.

Jailbreaking is only necessary if you want to do things with the iphone that apple does not let you do.

For example

-if you want to install a 3rd party app that is NOT in the Itunes store such as an adult application or maybe a app like cycorder that turns the camera into a video recorder

-Unlocking it from a locked cell phone provider (sprint,rogers,bell,etc..)

-Change the skin (The look and feel of the main iphone menus - customize it more)

-run unix application (For the hard core geeks)

-etc...

The average person should never need to jailbreak the phone and the most common reason is to switch providers without having to buy a new phone.

Thank you for taking time to explain it. I am not much for customizing the apps, I would just like to get it unlocked, and use it on other providers, such as Telus (this is now currently with Bell)

Guest Ou**or**n

Hi Angela:

First, you have to jailbreak an iPhone before you can unlock it. An iPhone is more complex than your average cell phone and cannot be unlocked easily.

There is also the issue of whether your iPhone can even be jailbroken right now. You'll have to check what version of the iPhone OS and firmware you are running.

Go to the Settings application -> General icon -> About -> Version. If you are at version 3.1.3 (the latest iTunes version) then you cannot jailbreak and unlock the phone at the moment. No jailbreak exists although there will be one in the future.

If you at an old version of the OS (< 3.1.3) then it can be jailbroken (and then unlocked). When you jailbreak you risk losing all your contacts. You can back them up in iTunes first but there is no guarantee they will reload when you are done. Everything on the phone will wiped out and you'll have to reload / re-sync everything from iTunes. You may lose progress and save points in games.

On the other hand you cannot damage the phone and if something goes wrong you can always do a full 'restore'. I used to have mine jailbroken and it totally crashed after I installed umm a 'trial' application and I had to do the restore process. I no longer have mine jailbroken.

If you still want to go ahead you can try it yourself or find a tech savy friend to help you. I don't know of any companies that do jailbreaks but you can google it to find out.

Good luck,

OFF

Hi Angela:

First, you have to jailbreak an iPhone before you can unlock it. An iPhone is more complex than your average cell phone and cannot be unlocked easily.

There is also the issue of whether your iPhone can even be jailbroken right now. You'll have to check what version of the iPhone OS and firmware you are running.

Go to the Settings application -> General icon -> About -> Version. If you are at version 3.1.3 (the latest iTunes version) then you cannot jailbreak and unlock the phone at the moment. No jailbreak exists although there will be one in the future.

If you at an old version of the OS (< 3.1.3) then it can be jailbroken (and then unlocked). When you jailbreak you risk losing all your contacts. You can back them up in iTunes first but there is no guarantee they will reload when you are done. Everything on the phone will wiped out and you'll have to reload / re-sync everything from iTunes. You may lose progress and save points in games.

On the other hand you cannot damage the phone and if something goes wrong you can always do a full 'restore'. I used to have mine jailbroken and it totally crashed after I installed umm a 'trial' application and I had to do the restore process. I no longer have mine jailbroken.

If you still want to go ahead you can try it yourself or find a tech savy friend to help you. I don't know of any companies that do jailbreaks but you can google it to find out.

Good luck,

OFF

Many thanks for the heads up, not quite sure know if I will get it unlocked or not.:shock:

There's guys advertising on Kijiji and CL and places like that, that will do it for 20 or 30 bucks.

Hi Angela,

Have a look at the firmware number and baseband number for the iphone. Currently, the 3.1.3 firmware can be jailbroken but it depends on the baseband number if the iphone can be unlocked. If the baseband is 5.12.01 then the iphone cannot be unlocked at the moment. I'm in this situation :cry: There is a unlock out there but certain people have yet to release it to the public.

If you like more help feel free to message me.

Hi Angela,

Have a look at the firmware number and baseband number for the iphone. Currently, the 3.1.3 firmware can be jailbroken but it depends on the baseband number if the iphone can be unlocked. If the baseband is 5.12.01 then the iphone cannot be unlocked at the moment. I'm in this situation :cry: There is a unlock out there but certain people have yet to release it to the public.

If you like more help feel free to message me.

I am in the same situation as you, looks like it can't get unlcoked, I just checked the specs:oops: I guess that will teach me to look and then ask eh? :lol:

I am in the same situation as you, looks like it can't get unlcoked, I just checked the specs:oops: I guess that will teach me to look and then ask eh? :lol:

lol...i bought mine before knowing as well. The same day i bought it i checked out the firmware and...d'oh...cannot unlock the phone. Not a happy camper at the time, so just playing the waiting game now.

I will say, jailbreaking the iphone will allow you to do ALOT more on the iphone than just what Apple offers. But it's not for everyone.

cheers.

There's guys advertising on Kijiji and CL and places like that, that will do it for 20 or 30 bucks.

It takes about 10 minutes to hack. An additional 3rd party installer is required for the third party apps.

The video and voice recorders are decent quality.