Broken Plasma TV

Hey guys (and gals) I got a busted plasma off a friend of mine who was going to throw it out. I had him drop it off at my incall with the intent of getting it fixed (if it is fixable and worth fixing).

So here's the deal: it's a Digistar HDTV plasma. I have no idea what year or model, and I don't know the screen size, but I'd guess high forties. She's a big 'un. I have no electronics to plug into it (ie. video console, dvd player, etc.). When I plug it in, there's a little red light that comes on that lets me know it registers being plugged in. When I push the power button I hear a little click and the light goes blue. But the screen stays black. So the problem I think is probably something to do with the way the screen is lit.

I know nothing at all about electronics, so I'm going to ask your knowledge on this. Is this a problem that is fixable, and is it worth getting fixed? If it is worth getting fixed, where is a good place to call?

Thanks everyone!

A lot of TV's mute with no video signal going into them, bring your DVD player from home and hook it up to see if the various inputs work.

If they don't work it's probably not worth getting fixed. It's sad to say but in today's disposable society the cost of getting it fixed would be the same or more than a new tv. You can get fairly decent refurbished lcd or plasma tv's at Xscargo or factory direct for around 500 bucks for 42"-50" screen size.

This week best buy has a 50 samsung plasma for 850, brand new, I paid considerably more for my 50" lcd just 3 years ago. With the advent of LED tv and 3d LED tv on the way Plasma tvs are quickly on their way out and can be found for cheap.

Guest s******ecan****

If they don't work it's probably not worth getting fixed. It's sad to say but in today's disposable society the cost of getting it fixed would be the same or more than a new tv.

So true, for the TV as well as many other products. The ers of the local appliance repair shop is well and truly behind us.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I consulted a tech whiz friend of mine who advised me that it's not worth fixing.

And being that I'm not here much, and don't really sit idle when I am here, I think a refurb for this apartment would suit just fine! Thanks CK!

Had my choice on an upgrade a few months ago... chose a 240Mhz refresh rate on a 55" LCD. It is so crisp it makes old movies look like live TV.

Keep an eye on the super slim LEDs as well... they practically hug the wall and the picture is amazing.

Just a couple of suggestions...

I know a guy that repairs plasma and lcd televisions and his job is mostly to just bring a replacement television. He says to always buy the extra warranty on these new TV's.

Speaking of that, anyone know a old-school repair guy that will work on old tube stuff?

Adam Electronics Ltd

Phone: (613) 749-3030

456 Av Mcarthur, Ottawa ON K1K 4B5

He said he would love to work on older stuff... he was salivating when I told him that I had a 1949 Philco Porthole TV for him to get working again....

Cool! Thanks Old Dog, I will definitely give this guy a call and see if he'll work in MY old stuff.

Adam Electronics Ltd

Phone: (613) 749-3030

456 Av Mcarthur, Ottawa ON K1K 4B5

He said he would love to work on older stuff... he was salivating when I told him that I had a 1949 Philco Porthole TV for him to get working again....

Thanks for the tips, guys! I consulted a tech whiz friend of mine who advised me that it's not worth fixing.

And being that I'm not here much, and don't really sit idle when I am here, I think a refurb for this apartment would suit just fine! Thanks CK!

If you didn't already recycle the plasma screen, keep a look out for trade-in promotions = Best Buy had one a few weeks back where you could get at least $100 back for an old TV when buying a new one... a 32" flat screen LED would probably be big enough for your boudoir wall and they have a really bright sharp picture

Hi-Tronics on Wellington.

He's an independant. If it can be fixed he can fix it.