Sign in to follow this  

Brothel Busted In Vancouver

Guest s******ecan****

Not to ignite a firestorm on the site but all CERB members should give careful consideration to how they vote in the inevitable upcoming federal election. The Conservatives are modeling their electoral strategy on the the US Right Wing model which was successful in getting George Bush elected twice despite losing the popular vote once, and barely squeaking by the second time.

The strategy involves developing "wedge" issues that appeal to your base, pushing them to the forefront, and motivating your base to turn out based on the creation of an atmosphere of divisive and heated debate. It may be good politics but it is unhealthy for our social contract.

Hence the decades old peaceful accomodation on abortion in Canada is now at risk, we face the unwanted "imposition" of a US style "war on drugs" (I don't use myself, but the war on drugs has been an unmitigated failure and social disaster in the US) through the move towards mandatory sentencing for even minor possesion.

You can bet that sooner or later "prostitution" and a promise to revise the legal code to make it completely illegal (probably presented under the guise of protecting exploited women) will be offered as yet another "sop" to the increasingly powerful and influential religious right.

I'm not going to join the loon's and make hysterical claims of a coming theocracy but its not hard to see the trend that is developing, and our prostitution laws are likely to come under increasing scrutiny.