My rant about advertisement...

I know I'm not a client, but this bugs me as hell...

Am I the only one to feal it disrespectful when an ad is written in big red letters? We never see that in forums... Why should we tolerate it in ads?

Little bold and colors are always fun but too much is too much!

I think everyone should be free to advertise as they like. Effective ads draw people's attention so I can see why someone might use red as it is an eye-catching colour. I don't think using a certain colour or font could be deemed as disrespectful. If you're really that bothered by the appearance of someone's ad, then just don't look at it.

• Like 2

Colors,font sizes, what ever the lady wants to do is her right for advertising and it does not bother me at all :).

Guest W***ledi*Time

The only thing I've wondered about in ads is the unusual colours used in a few of them. Every once in a while I see an ad that I plain can't read as it is, due to the colour of the print (usually pastels or yellow, I think).

I'm colour-blind, so I've wondered whether the reason I can't read the print that uses these colours is because of my own "affliction"; or is it possibly because my monitor is calibrated differently than that of the poster; or just maybe it may be that the poster intentionally wants the reader to do a little "work" to be able to read her ad (hi-lighting the unreadable text with my mouse easily solves the mystery of what's been posted.)

Each lady will no doubt post as she wishes, and in the manner that she has found works for her!

WIT you are correct especially when they might use yellow yellow, see you can't see it.. so the darker the color the better.:mrgreen:

Guest W***ledi*Time
WIT you are correct especially when they might use yellow yellow, see you can't see it.. so the darker the color the better.:mrgreen:

You got it Pete! Guess it's not just me, then!

As a former transcriber and desktop publisher, I can tell you that you should not use too many different colours on one page. Because RED is a bold colour, I believe it should only be used for emphasis or contrast.

Not to hijack Sabrina's thread, the thing that many SPs don't realize is, if you type your ad using all upper case, or CAPTIAL LETTERS, you are not doing the reader any favours. The reader has to work harder to decipher your message as there is no contrast which is why CAPS are usually intended for emphasis, not an entire prose

An ad like this will "lose the reader". You'll exhaust them by the second line - they won't even read the whole thing.

USING ALL CAPS TO WRITE AN AD IS VERY DIFFICULT ON THE

READER BECAUSE IT IS HARD TO FOLLOW THE FLOW OF WHAT'S BEING

WRITTEN AND THOSE WHO LEAVE OUT PROPER PUNCTUATION MAKE IT

EVEN MORE DIFFICULT AND YOU WILL LOSE THE READER'S ATTENTION

Use the conventional form of writing which is to capitalize proper nouns, use punctuation, and writing text in upper and lower case letters like I'm doing here.

The most common mistakes I read in ads are: ALL CAPS, improper spelling and improper punctuation. Centering or italicizing all text - again using overusing elements intended for emphasis and too many colours and font sizes on one page.

You decide - which reads better:

DONT MISS MY AMAZING SPECIALS IM ONLY IN OTTAWA FOR A FEW DAYS AND IM ALREADY ALMOST FULLY BOOKED. I PROVIDE THE ULTIMATE GFE SERVICE AVAILABLE AND MY REVIEWS FULLY BACK MY PROMISE TO SATISFY

Don't miss my AMAZING specials. I'm only in Ottawa for a few days and I'm already almost fully booked. I provide the ultimate GFE service available and my reviews fully back my promise to satisfy.

DONT MISS MY AMAZING SPECIALS

IM ONY IN OTTAWA FOR A FEW DAYS AND IM ALREADY BOOKED

I PROVIDE THE ULTIMATE SERVICE AVAILABLE

AND MY REVIEWS FULLY BACK MY PROMISE TO SATISFY

BUT SOMETHING THAT IS IN BIG BOLD RED LETTERS ALL IN CAPITALS - YIKES!!!! I THINK THIS COULD SET OFF A MIGRAINE IN SOME PEOPLE:-(

• Like 3

Am I the only one to feal it disrespectful when an ad is written in big red letters? We never see that in forums... Why should we tolerate it in ads?

Hey Grass_Hopper,

Just out of curiousity, why do you feel it disrespectful??

xoxo

Latika

I share the views of many here. Ads can be quite nice, and some can be annoying. It all depends on the way the Sp wants to be perceived.

I would be on the side of letting people publish the way they want. At the end, it will be the results that will judge the efficiency of the ad.

I am sure that those who use colors, bold fonts, different sizes, animation, smillies, etc, and maintain that strategy, must get the results they want. If not, they will change, for sure.

But taste is the essence here. And a good ad is the one that will produce business, that will make a customer call and take an appt.

I read most of the ads for Ottawa, and the more I read the more I learn about the style of the providers. And I must say, that some ads are very efficient on me( I will not reveal my weaknesses, it will cost me too much !:wink:)

Guest S***e

I read most of the Ottawa area ads and in no way feel that I am being disrespected in the ad format you describe. They are tasteful and colourful so I really don't understand the point of your "rant." I'm not the type of person who is given to rant so I guess I tend to focus on things that seem to be of greater importance, but that's just me.

Posting ads is how we get attention, by using pictures, and text, and font colours is one way of doing it.

Some might not realize what colours they like in a dreamweaver program might not show well on everyones screen.

but as for using bold, and reds, blues and greens it's about standing out and getting attention and calls.

btw lakita that is a hot pic got my attention. who is your photographer.

As a former transcriber and desktop publisher, I can tell you that you should not use too many different colours on one page. Because RED is a bold colour, I believe it should only be used for emphasis or contrast.

Not to hijack Sabrina's thread, the thing that many SPs don't realize is, if you type your ad using all upper case, or CAPTIAL LETTERS, you are not doing the reader any favours. The reader has to work harder to decipher your message as there is no contrast which is why CAPS are usually intended for emphasis, not an entire prose

An ad like this will "lose the reader". You'll exhaust them by the second line - they won't even read the whole thing.

USING ALL CAPS TO WRITE AN AD IS VERY DIFFICULT ON THE

READER BECAUSE IT IS HARD TO FOLLOW THE FLOW OF WHAT'S BEING

WRITTEN AND THOSE WHO LEAVE OUT PROPER PUNCTUATION MAKE IT

EVEN MORE DIFFICULT AND YOU WILL LOSE THE READER'S ATTENTION

Use the conventional form of writing which is to capitalize proper nouns, use punctuation, and writing text in upper and lower case letters like I'm doing here.

The most common mistakes I read in ads are: ALL CAPS, improper spelling and improper punctuation. Centering or italicizing all text - again using overusing elements intended for emphasis and too many colours and font sizes on one page.

You decide - which reads better:

DONT MISS MY AMAZING SPECIALS IM ONLY IN OTTAWA FOR A FEW DAYS AND IM ALREADY ALMOST FULLY BOOKED. I PROVIDE THE ULTIMATE GFE SERVICE AVAILABLE AND MY REVIEWS FULLY BACK MY PROMISE TO SATISFY

Don't miss my AMAZING specials. I'm only in Ottawa for a few days and I'm already almost fully booked. I provide the ultimate GFE service available and my reviews fully back my promise to satisfy.

DONT MISS MY AMAZING SPECIALS

IM ONY IN OTTAWA FOR A FEW DAYS AND IM ALREADY BOOKED

I PROVIDE THE ULTIMATE SERVICE AVAILABLE

AND MY REVIEWS FULLY BACK MY PROMISE TO SATISFY

BUT SOMETHING THAT IS IN BIG BOLD RED LETTERS ALL IN CAPITALS - YIKES!!!! I THINK THIS COULD SET OFF A MIGRAINE IN SOME PEOPLE:-(

As a person who uses an audible screen reader due to a visual impairment, those postings sounded identical, even though i assume they were written in upper and lower case. Lol. I do, however, agree with you. What personally makes my life somewhat tedious is when people overuse symbols such as _, . and ^, just to name a few. I don't know how visually appealing that makes an ad, but it sure does nothing for me. Peace.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

i meant to include the symbol .. My apologies for the sloppy typing.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

hmmm..the symbol i am unsuccessfully trying to convey is the little wavy line positioned left of the number one on the keyboard. Sorry again for butchering this nice thread.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

Very interesting post Angela, thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

There's certain code to follow...

For me, as a lot of people capital letters means screaming, and red is agressive.

Also, there's a certain way to set up an ad... Did you took the time to edit your signature? In your ads, are you paying attention to what is written and how it's done? Seeing your pic and signature, I think so...

For me, this is a sign of desesperation, and piss me off...

Hey Grass_Hopper,

Just out of curiousity, why do you feel it disrespectful??

xoxo

Latika

There's certain code to follow...

For me, as a lot of people capital letters means screaming, and red is agressive.

Also, there's a certain way to set up an ad... Did you took the time to edit your signature? In your ads, are you paying attention to what is written and how it's done? Seeing your pic and signature, I think so...

For me, this is a sign of desesperation, and piss me off...

There is no "ad code" as far as I know. Everyone is entitled to to advertise as they please. Yes, capital letters indicate "shouting" but using red as a colour for your font is far from aggressive. Also, I hate to sound nit-picky, but as Angela mentioned earlier, grammar and spelling play a big part in how one's ad appears to others. Please do not judge others for their use of fonts and colours as well as their signatures, style etc. until you, yourself, are sure that your ads are "perfect".

• Like 1

Guest S***e

Bang on Ava...pardon the pun. For the most part, I find the text ads quite well done. I like good grammar and spelling as well. For trash ads CL is ripe with them and CERB is not in my opinion.

There is no "ad code" as far as I know. Everyone is entitled to to advertise as they please. Yes, capital letters indicate "shouting" but using red as a colour for your font is far from aggressive. Also, I hate to sound nit-picky, but as Angela mentioned earlier, grammar and spelling play a big part in how one's ad appears to others. Please do not judge others for their use of fonts and colours as well as their signatures, style etc. until you, yourself, are sure that your ads are "perfect".

Guest f***2f***

Well I agree that anyone should be free to advertise in any way they see fit. I must admit that I dislike ads that are not well done i.e. bad grammer, mis-spelled words, inappropriate use of adjectives etc. Angela is right the all caps thing is a little harder to read believe it or not.

However a hot picture of the real lady usually makes me forget all that as blood rushes out of my brain...Latika you look fine by the way!!:mrgreen:

Guest S***e

She's super-fine Boner! :mrgreen:

Latika you look fine by the way!!:mrgreen:

We all have our own opinions, regarding the services we provide & just how we advertise them. The positive & logical solution I can come up with is for you to not read other sp ads....that is something that can be easily done on your part to avoid frustration....:rolleyes:

BTW, Just to give you the heads up, I love to use all sorts or colors, pics, & different fonts in my ad.. so be sure not to look at mine, they may put you in a rage!!:ablow: LOL just a little joke for ya!!! :-D Trying to keep this pleasant!!:-P

I did'nt say not to use colors or different fonts... It's nice to see when someone is putting a lot of effort in there advertisement... Little bit of blue, red or green talks for you about you. It reflects your personnality... Some girls are spending hours just to set up a proper ad...

What I meant was the whole ad to be butchy, all capitals, red, agressive, with a lot of wrong spelling...

What's the matter about taking 5 minutes to proof-read your ad, and do some touch-ups? You don't have the time?? BTW, I think about a specific person, which I won't name, but I think it's sad to be so desperate...