IPad review

Ok, so I splurged and got one after all...

I have not put it down except to sleep for a few hours.

Less than 24hours with it and it's got 4pages of apps installed and I am not bored of it yet but I do have a few issues with it where i could see some improvements being made in future updates.

It is very responsive and impressive at how fast it is! I have not tested the 3G yet (just the wifi version) but I can say the wifi connection is strong and quick!

It does not do multitasking but you can switch back and forth between apps and most hold your spot. You can play music and use apps at the same and you can copy and paste from app to app. It is pretty much the same as switching between windows on a pc as most apps they hold your spot and load very fast so it's a lot like having windows / tabs running.

Almost everything feels normal (as in how it feels when using a desktop) the only thing I am really missing so far is the cursor keys and touching instead us using a mouse in some cases is a little odd but the multitouch abilities are very well thought out...will just take some time to get use to it.

The keyboard is large and accurate.... But the slippery round back of the device makes it hard to set down to type with both hands. On a hard surface (table) with a very light touch you can type really fast accurately. Takes a bit to get use to but after a few hours of us you will probably be like me and not even Really think about it anymore. It does have a few quarks but it is first generation so they can improve on it!

I even got the flash chat room to work on it!! A app exists called cloud browse that streams flash to the iPad and actually works very well for the chat room ... The app however is made for the iphone and not the iPad so the screen does not enlarge to the full iPad screen and stay crisp... Maybe they will make a iPad version. Plus I do not know how secure it is as you are going thru another computer to process the flash so if the third party wanted to they could record and monitor your keystrokes including you username and cerb password.

The photo system is the most impressive thing on the device out of the box... A desktop pc does not touch the capabilities of the iPad when it comes to looking at photos!

The system has push technology that allows websites to push data to iPad/iPhone like msn messages, Facebook notifications and such (like most smart phones have) it even has a free app from dragon (voice recognition) that let's you dictate to the device and it converts to text. It worked very well for me.

So... I will hunt about to find a work around for the missing cursor keys as that is my biggest complaint right now. I use them a lot (especially when I do any code writing work)

I have not tried the tapatalk plug in yet either... I like the full screen view of the site on the iPad so I doubt it would be an improvement on the iPad but on a smaller screen it would for sure.

Final words... Don't pick up the iPad to play with it!!! If you do you will want one!!! And none of the sores have the cheaper 16gig unit... Only the 32 and the 64 gig versions so be prepared to spend over 800 on it... A little pricey I must admit.

Ok, so I splurged and got one after all...

I have not put it down except to sleep for a few hours.

Less than 24hours with it and it's got 4pages of apps installed and I am not bored of it yet but I do have a few issues with it where i could see some improvements being made in future updates.

It is very responsive and impressive at how fast it is! I have not tested the 3G yet (just the wifi version) but I can say the wifi connection is strong and quick!

It does not do multitasking but you can switch back and forth between apps and most hold your spot. You can play music and use apps at the same and you can copy and paste from app to app. It is pretty much the same as switching between windows on a pc as most apps they hold your spot and load very fast so it's a lot like having windows / tabs running.

Almost everything feels normal (as in how it feels when using a desktop) the only thing I am really missing so far is the cursor keys and touching instead us using a mouse in some cases is a little odd but the multitouch abilities are very well thought out...will just take some time to get use to it.

The keyboard is large and accurate.... But the slippery round back of the device makes it hard to set down to type with both hands. On a hard surface (table) with a very light touch you can type really fast accurately. Takes a bit to get use to but after a few hours of us you will probably be like me and not even Really think about it anymore. It does have a few quarks but it is first generation so they can improve on it!

I even got the flash chat room to work on it!! A app exists called cloud browse that streams flash to the iPad and actually works very well for the chat room ... The app however is made for the iphone and not the iPad so the screen does not enlarge to the full iPad screen and stay crisp... Maybe they will make a iPad version. Plus I do not know how secure it is as you are going thru another computer to process the flash so if the third party wanted to they could record and monitor your keystrokes including you username and cerb password.

The photo system is the most impressive thing on the device out of the box... A desktop pc does not touch the capabilities of the iPad when it comes to looking at photos!

The system has push technology that allows websites to push data to iPad/iPhone like msn messages, Facebook notifications and such (like most smart phones have) it even has a free app from dragon (voice recognition) that let's you dictate to the device and it converts to text. It worked very well for me.

So... I will hunt about to find a work around for the missing cursor keys as that is my biggest complaint right now. I use them a lot (especially when I do any code writing work)

I have not tried the tapatalk plug in yet either... I like the full screen view of the site on the iPad so I doubt it would be an improvement on the iPad but on a smaller screen it would for sure.

Final words... Don't pick up the iPad to play with it!!! If you do you will want one!!! And none of the sores have the cheaper 16gig unit... Only the 32 and the 64 gig versions so be prepared to spend over 800 on it... A little pricey I must admit.

Good review mod! What is an IPAD like VS say a laptop? I some how just can't get my mind around a large touch pad, vs sitting at at desk and using a computer (which is what I do on a daily basis)

I guess it would be good for people who want wifi and and access the net when they want, I still prefer the laptop/desktop feel of things8)

Mod, I'm green with envy.

Some of the Apple rumour sites say that iPhone OS 4 will be released at WWDC tomorrow afternoon, fixing the multitasking shortcoming. Can't wait to see what else Steve parades out.

Good review mod! What is an IPAD like VS say a laptop? I some how just can't get my mind around a large touch pad, vs sitting at at desk and using a computer (which is what I do on a daily basis)

I guess it would be good for people who want wifi and and access the net when they want, I still prefer the laptop/desktop feel of things8)

Much like a net book (laptop) and way better than trying to surf the web on a cell phone screen (even a Iphone) but you can not run desktop software so you should not consider this as a replacement for a desktop or laptop... That is not what it is made for. It is a convienence tool...

Great for email, web surfing, reading (ebooks), music and video sharing, podcasts, YouTube, etc.. Basically a net book... Not a laptop (big difference) and way smaller than a laptop. With software like logmein.com you can also remote login to your pc.

Instead of pulling out a laptop and booting it up (waiting...) you simply take this out and it is online right when you need it.... No slow boot up time....same as your cellphone. Makes email, msn, moderating cerb, and checking news feeds convenient and easy.

As for os4... Hopefully they put some cursor buttons in this thing. I still plan to buy an android powered tablet when they are up to par with this iPad. Maybe one that will run windows7 or android.

I will let you know if I am still as happy with it in a weeks time

I still plan to buy an android powered tablet when they are up to par with this iPad. Maybe one that will run windows7 or android.

It's believed that HP bought Palm for WebOS, so they could get in the tablet game, too. It's an underdog, but being Linux based, it's pretty solid little operating system. Interesting time to be a consumer...

Yeah I bought one as well and it's pretty neat for sure. I too have not been able to put it down, much more practical and functional than my net book. I even found a great wordpress app so I can edit the diary on the go as spend a lot of time at coffee houses and away from the ranch.

Mod is right the photos tool is impressive and very intuitive. I recently upgraded my graphics system to an HP something or other and invested in a new graphics tablet the wacom bamboo pen and touch, so now I never use a mouse to navigate, multitouch navigation is very cool.

Back to the IPAD the battery life is most impressive compared to that of my net book or my HP laptop. It's quite the conversation starter at the coffee shop too. It's much more practical and functional than I expected reading the newspaper on it is quite the experience.

The lack of flash support has it's drawbacks for sure, I can't listen to my favorite radio station at the coffee house as their player is flash based but I can load up the ipod function full of my favorite tunes. The ibook function is neat but for now they are unable to sell titles in Canada I understand that will be changing shortly, no problem kobo books has great ibook reader app and a great online selection of books for about 10.00 each.

If you have a net book you'll want one of these babies for both the cool factor and the practical applications it can serve.

MOD I bought a ifrogz skin which makes it less slippery and easier to prop up on the edge of a table without sliding all over the place. http://ifrogz.com/proddetail.php?prod=IPAD-SG

Thanks for the link CK! I was looking at case options online myself as it is a slippery sucker!

Check out http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cloud-browse/id346618309?mt=8 for your radio station. It's free and it works with the flash in the chat room (Including the audio) but I suspect the stream may be a little choppy as it's going through a converter obviously.

I think I will hold off jailbreaking it. The multitasking would be nice but the OS4 has multitasking and will be out in no time...

bthoash have you tried a external keyboard? They have one that docs to it and you can use the bluetooth one as well (Both seam to have a CTRL key) and in a pinch that could come in handy. I am thinking of getting one as I miss the cursor keys a lot on it and it would still me better to have a keyboard you could pull out when your typing something long.

Check out TouchTerm SSH http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/touchterm-ssh/id286623227?mt=8# it has full ssh support for your terminal needs and it includes Ctrl, Esc, Tab, arrow, and Fn keys as part of the app!!