Monogamy unnatural for our sexy species

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Christopher Ryan: True nature of our sexuality silenced by religious authorities, society
  • For 95 percent of our evolution, men and women shared partners, children, Ryan says
  • Ryan: Advent of agriculture brought idea of private property, women as possessions
  • Nonpossessive sexuality is natural, but we can opt to be monogamous, he writes

Seismic cultural shifts about 10,000 years ago rendered the true story of human sexuality so subversive and threatening that for centuries, it has been silenced by religious authorities, pathologized by physicians, studiously ignored by scientists and covered up by moralizing therapists.

In recent decades, the debate over human sexual evolution has entertained only two options: Humans evolved to be either monogamists or polygamists. This tired debate generally devolves into an antagonistic stalemate where women are said to have evolved to seek male-provisioned domesticity while every man secretly yearns for his own harem. The battle between the sexes, we're told, is bred into our blood and bones.

Continue reading the original article.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/07/27/ryan.promiscuity.normal/index.html?iref=NS1

I'm not surprised. Even aminals we formerly thought to mate for life have been seen "cheating". Monogamy is a human concept, and like all human concepts, it's a great idea, but it is flawed. I'm not for polygamy or polyamory, but I'm also realistic about the probabilities of true monogamy. Which is why I love my work. I can have fun and not have to worry about a bf cramping my style, be it sexually or otherwise.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Aminals.... *hanging head in shame* I hate misspelling stuff!

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Aminals.... *hanging head in shame* I hate misspelling stuff!

Posted via Mobile Device

Ahh, but that's why Mod invented the "edit" button... now we can all be perfect spellers!

I want to read this book! Dan Savage has been writing/talking about Sex At Dawn, and I'm so interested.... Especially the idea that women are truly horny creatures too, but that that desire has been distorted and dampened by shame and social control.

I'm in charge of my sexuality, I enjoy it immensley, and I wish all women could and would!! That would be bad for business, of course, but I'm a generous soul.

Yep, want to read more... this stuff fascinates me.