Need help to bypass my PC case start switch

I need to bypass my PC start switch. Not the one on the power supply above the power cord, but the one on the front of the case. I've tried unplugging it from the motherboard and touching the jumpers with a screwdriver and that works fine, but I need a permanent solution.

I want to be able to cut the electrical power to the PC at will, and when I restore electrical power, have the computer come on without the need to push the switch or jumper the pins with a screwdriver. I tried a jumper across the pins but the computer just comes on then shuts off, I guess the computer requires a momentary switch.

Any ideas? Is there a way? I tried unplugging the power supply switch and plugging it into the case switch location too, didn't work.

Maybe there's some kind of momentary switch jumper out there? There's got to be a way! My old 486 didn't have this problem....you pushed the on button and if you killed the electricity then restored it, the PC would come back on. So why do newer computers have this failsafe thing now?

Oh ya, there is no option in the BIOS for 'Last State' or anything after AC loss. :(

If there aren't any options in the BIOS then unfortunately there isn't a permanent solution to your problem, especially with the newer computers. The only way is to keep shortening out the connectors.

The setting is in your BIOS... I have yet to see a computer that does not have this in the last 10 years. Go into the bios and find a page with power settings (You will find something that related to this and choose to power on when power fails) - better yet just go buy a UPS battery backup (Every computer should have one of these).

I think the problem, especially with Windows is that you're not doing an orderly shut down. So, when you repower the machine it's not going to start normally and it will need to have you intervene to possible do a restore or start normally.

This machine is strictly running DOS. I have tried every setting in the BIOS under the Power Management area so I don't know what is up....

I'm using this machine in a MAME cabinet with an auxillary switch that powers on the monitor, computer, speakers and marquee flourescent light. If all else fails I'll have to run a wire from the switch contacts to a small button on the top or side of the MAME cabinet which sucks but......

If this setting is not in the motherboards bios a bios update is probably available (or possibly a jumper on the motherboard has this setting or a DIP switch located on the MB but that is really old school if that is the case). What is the MODEL and MAKE of the motherboard?

Well thanks for the suggestions, I will review them when I have a bit more time. For now I had to get this thing up and running so I ended up with an old keyed switch from an old computer that I ran to the front of the box and plugged that in where the case switch goes. So now with a turn of a key, on then off, the pc boots up. This is a good security thing too so little curious people don't play the game when they're not supposed to be! :)

Does your case also have a reset switch on the front?

In cases like this, with a broken power switch I usually conect the wire from the reset swithch to the MB power connector (jumper) ...

Does your case also have a reset switch on the front?

In cases like this, with a broken power switch I usually conect the wire from the reset swithch to the MB power connector (jumper) ...

Great workaround, but in this case the switch is ok, but the BIOS doesn't support automatic power-on after a power interuption.

That's where the gizmo I suggested comes in, it is a piece of hardware that connects to the power switch and external power; after a power interuption it "pushes" the power button turning the machine on.