Local Reaction to Ontario Court Decision

Guest W***ledi*Time

There are many SW's in Saint John. As a resident of the uptown area near Waterloo st., I see SW's at all times of the afternoon and night. Almost all have an addiction to crack or some other drug. With only (as far as I can tell) two established independent SP's in the city who sell their body and services by choice, not by need, I hope this ruling engages some further discussion on how to help these women get off the streets. I know there is a women's shelter in the area, but there isn't much out there. Poverty is a way of life for many in the port city.

You always see the Codiac RCMP arresting johns in Moncton all the time, yet there is never news from arrests of the pimps and drug dealers.

Guest W***ledi*Time
I've met Leslie and she's an amazing woman. I had no idea what sex work was like in the Maritimes until I met her.

I have a copy of her book "Sex Workers in the Maritimes Talk Back" (co-authored with Gayle MacDonald of STU). I highly recommend it, especially for anyone from the Maritimes. A bit more on the book:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18301

Very insightful!

Thanks for sharing this! xox

Additional Comments:

There are many SW's in Saint John. As a resident of the uptown area near Waterloo st., I see SW's at all times of the afternoon and night. Almost all have an addiction to crack or some other drug. With only (as far as I can tell) two established independent SP's in the city who sell their body and services by choice, not by need, I hope this ruling engages some further discussion on how to help these women get off the streets. I know there is a women's shelter in the area, but there isn't much out there. Poverty is a way of life for many in the port city.

You always see the Codiac RCMP arresting johns in Moncton all the time, yet there is never news from arrests of the pimps and drug dealers.

That certainley is a major problem in SJ. It would be very nice, if it could help them with their addiction!

Just saw this on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/10/06/bc-vancouver-bawdy-house-bust.html

What a waste of police resources. You'll never see this in Montreal or Toronto where there are hundreds of massage parlours operating at this moment!

Female owned and operated and sources on perb say that it was a very friendly and safe environment for the ladies working there. The police used unnecessary force and knocked down doors, confiscating personal belongings of the ladies.

This is the fourth massage parlour to be shut down or raided by LE/municipality in the past few months in greater Vancouver. Pretty soon it'll be like the Maritimes; Fredericton, Saint John, Moncton, Charlottetown, Halifax: ZERO brick and mortar massage parlours.

Guest **cely***r***ne

Yes Thank you! And I'm also agreeing with Carley...very insightful, I would like to read that book!