Hello all,

Would like your advice.

I have been at my current job for small employer for the past 17 years since High school although the pay has always been low it has allowed me to work along side my father cutting grass and shoveling snow. My father is now cutting back on the amount of work He takes due to his age and some minor health (cannot stand the heat of the summer) problems.

My partner and supervisor left for another job last Friday 13 was his last day. We work for a contractor at a manufacturing plant, and no the plant is not hiring, we only staff enough people to cover one the person per shift 24/7. The person currently working in the supervisor's time slot is the Senior Shop Stewart. She has only been with the company for 2 years and wants the job really bad (power hungry). At first it looked like she was going to get either the supervisor's job or have a new position created for her. The new position would be of Lead hand which would allow her to stay in the union, but allow her to do more, and have no real power. My supervisor who just left recommend me for the job, because of my experience and he feels I can more than handle it and I was asking questions when he first told me that he would be leaving. He told me on his last day that he gave me the recommendation and that the owner of the company told him that the Senior Shop Stewart is not getting the position and was looking for a new Supervisor. She is starting to act like she has a lock on the position, contact this person formating a document to sending weekly report to the owner and want to post memos....... I am starting to get the feeling that she might just get the job. I am not totally happy at the job so I was going to go looking anyway but thought that If I could get the supervisors job for 6 months to 1 year it would be a nice way to end this career.

As far as the grass cutting and snow removal I have no problem doing it but if no snow falls or grass does not grow one had no money coming in.

Not sure what to do?

Should I send in a resume to the owner for the position?

OR should I look to add skills to my resume and apply and get out?

OR both?

OR.....................Damn I need a woman!

As I am sure you can tell I am a little scared, this in reality has been my only job other that odd jobs during school.

Any advice would be helpfully.

Thanks

Hello all,

Would like your advice.

I have been at my current job for small employer for the past 17 years since High school although the pay has always been low it has allowed me to work along side my father cutting grass and shoveling snow. My father is now cutting back on the amount of work He takes due to his age and some minor health (cannot stand the heat of the summer) problems.

My partner and supervisor left for another job last Friday 13 was his last day. We work for a contractor at a manufacturing plant, and no the plant is not hiring, we only staff enough people to cover one the person per shift 24/7. The person currently working in the supervisor's time slot is the Senior Shop Stewart. She has only been with the company for 2 years and wants the job really bad (power hungry). At first it looked like she was going to get either the supervisor's job or have a new position created for her. The new position would be of Lead hand which would allow her to stay in the union, but allow her to do more, and have no real power. My supervisor who just left recommend me for the job, because of my experience and he feels I can more than handle it and I was asking questions when he first told me that he would be leaving. He told me on his last day that he gave me the recommendation and that the owner of the company told him that the Senior Shop Stewart is not getting the position and was looking for a new Supervisor. She is starting to act like she has a lock on the position, contact this person formating a document to sending weekly report to the owner and want to post memos....... I am starting to get the feeling that she might just get the job. I am not totally happy at the job so I was going to go looking anyway but thought that If I could get the supervisors job for 6 months to 1 year it would be a nice way to end this career.

As far as the grass cutting and snow removal I have no problem doing it but if no snow falls or grass does not grow one had no money coming in.

Not sure what to do?

Should I send in a resume to the owner for the position?

OR should I look to add skills to my resume and apply and get out?

OR both?

OR.....................Damn I need a woman!

As I am sure you can tell I am a little scared, this in reality has been my only job other that odd jobs during school.

Any advice would be helpfully.

Thanks

If you want the position, definitely send in a resume. If your looking at other outside positions it also wouldn't hurt to apply. You can always turn down. By doing so, just gives you some additional future options.

I was in something similar a while ago........make an appointment to meet the owner. Hand him your resume personally.......tell him you want the job......be up front and honest and forward.

If you take the move to show you want it...then it shows them you are willing......if you sit back and let the other person look more aggressive..then they WILL hire her as she has shown she wants it.

Grab the brass ring man!......step up to the plate.

Do not let the referral from the previous person be your only hope......the other person does not have the referral like you do so they are making a stab at the position.......go for it.

The whole post seems kinda strange to me? In the phylosiphey of life we will have many careers and make and loose many fortunes in our life time, do what you do with passion and love your job, this will bring the most reward. The thing about working for a boss and in an environment where you are just a spoke in a wheel I guess that can comforting for some. At the end of the day just like grass and snow if there is no demand for what your company is doing your pay check with bounce anyway, you are just trusting the success of the company with someone else that you have more confidence in than yourself to sell products and services. I have never seen a lawn that did not need to be cut

Thanks for the advice too true comments, that what I was thinking but We have been with out a supervisor before and it was 9 months from hell. I will not go through that ever again, Which is part of the reason we now have a union. I guess the whole situation is just a flash back.

A freind in BC told me pretty much the same thing that you guys have said.

Well since the owner of the company is 2 - 3 hours away and only get up here 2 or 3 time a year handing him my resuem in person is not possible. I emailed him my resume today with delivery and read receipts, the best I can do for now.

What I finally decided is this, I need to know what the chances for advancement are with in the company. 17 years experience has got to count for something I do have things to offer the company.

If there are no chances the owner has made a big mistake and is just using me and wasting my time, I will find another job quickly.

Any one need grass cut, Let see rate will cut grass for sex (with females only get your mind out of the gutter!!!!!!)

Thanks

Now that is something I can relate too! I had a buddy who started a lawn maintenance company with grass cutting and exterior painting and fence mending (he was rural) and he always dreamed that he could end up some hot kept sex goddesses toy boy while her rich sugar daddy was globe trotting or tied up at the office, used to always talk about it! He could have pulled it off he had the looks, just no takers.

I am from the sam basic school of thought as Dumpy. In life careeres come and go along with the fortunes. He is right that you should try and find what you love to do and do what it takes to make it happen. I know it sounds easier than it is but in the end if you don't try you could live a life full of regrets.

You are absolutely right about the fact that if they can't see the value of 17 years experience then it is time to move on. I am quite sure others will find that kind of dedication and loyalty very valuable.

Good Luck

Well since the owner of the company is 2 - 3 hours away and only get up here 2 or 3 time a year handing him my resuem in person is not possible. I emailed him my resume today with delivery and read receipts, the best I can do for now.

You want the job....you want to show him you REALLY want it and you mean it......take the time...I have gone hours out of my way to see jobs and interview...and beieve me....it goes a long way in a persons mind when they see people wanting something enough to go out of thier way to get it.

I am on the same page as antlerman with this one, I have driven to Montreal and Toronto to get jobs here in Ottawa, it was routine for me at one time. Make it informal, ask him if you can meet for coffee, tell him you will come and visit, it will not seem threatening to him if you offer to meet him at Tim's and buy him a coffee (he will probably insist on buying but either way it's a great gesture and suggest leadership) than what ever arrangements he suggests take. Bring your resume and you smile and your desire to help lead his business for another 17 years at least. Approach him as the student to the teacher and tell him that you have learned a lot and have so much more to learn and give. Be sure to tell you appreciate his loyalty to you, that will re-enforce your loyalty to him.

Some good points

I got a reply from my email.

I surprised him he that i would apply said he, tried to tell me that the position was offer to me once before and I was not interested then, and the this position was outside of the union and that I might want to consider it.

He stated that under the circumstances that he would be posting the position although he did not have to do so, because he did not want to over look any one who may wish to apply and that if I did reapplied that he would interview all who apply.

Of course I replied to the email.

Thanked him for his reply and stated that I had never been offered the position before and that he must be mistaking me for some one else.

and that the only other time the position was known to be available that I did apply but he hired outside the company for the position.

I thanked him again for his consideration and said that I looked forward to talking with him.

I may just drive up and hand in my resume to him in person with the written recommendation from the past supervisor along with it.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Way to go..see....you will feel great going after it......the rush you get is great....

Even if it does not work out for some strange reason.........you gave it a good try.....and there is nothing wrong with that.

Well no more replies no interview nothing.

The shop Stewart had been promoted to lead hand on temporary basses the memo says.

I will be getting some additional training for my resume and looking for other employment.

Well no more replies no interview nothing.

The shop Stewart had been promoted to lead hand on temporary basses the memo says.

I will be getting some additional training for my resume and looking for other employment.

jughead, you can hold your head high and be pleased with the effort. It takes courage to face your boss and you did it. Good for you, and now it looks as though you have decided to move on. Just remember you have a lot to offer when you start getting interviews, be confident in yourself and your skills a good interviewer can spot that very quickly.

Thanks Shypilot

Just the way I look at it.

By him not interviewing me told me that I have no place in the company

sad really after 17 years.

His loss!

Take a look at the shop steward's knees....bet they are dirty.......be proud you gave it your best.....

What about the Lawn Maintenance business? Thought you had a line on grass cutting and snow removal? Through in some interlock and fence building and you have 100K a year business plan easily. Don't focus on the snow removal, if you want to provide as a service to your summer clients so the don't jump ship to an all inclusive than go for it. Focus on the lawn care and interlock and fence building, then relax all winter, hell entertain a lady here every few days to make through the winter.

Focus on the lawn care and interlock and fence building, then relax all winter, hell entertain a lady here every few days to make through the winter.

Now that's the ticket, leave it to you dummpy to come up with the perfect plan.

I don't live or work in the city of Ottawa I live between 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours outside the city depending on destanation and traffic of course.

Dummpy

There is nothing wrong with cutting grass, shoveling snow (odd jobs) I have been doing that since 1985. The only problem is that it is not steady work every year. Some year you have to look at more work and more work means more equipment and more equipment means more work. Other years, kind of like this ones is starting out, the grass does not stop growing and if you take to much work the no time off. This job I currently have provides me with a steady income regardless of what the odd jobs does or does not do and is the only employment since high school. I am tired of working 2 jobs 16 to 20 hours day 6 days a week. The last 3 year I have enjoyed time to my self, time for fishing, spending some time friends go for a beer with the boys. I have had this job way to long and need to get out to clear my head, I am tired of playing the game, tired of all the bs.

Antlerman

Never thought of that one, the boss sure does like her and called her when the past supervisor gave his notice, he wants to keep her in the mix.

So where in the Ottawa area or on the internet can i get training. I am looking for Forklift, Fall arrest, WHIMS. Any other suggestions as to what training would help my marketability.

Here is what I have found

Forklift

-Greater Ottawa Truck Training

-Ideal Forklift Training

Fall Arrest

- Multi Trek

WHIMS

- Virtual Whims

- Norcat

- National Safety Council

Do you know of any place else to get this training or one stop shopping for it all.

I have First Aid CPR & AED already

Thanks

guys

well...I would say you are on the right track....you are getting your ducks all in order...it may take a bit of time...and cost a bit of money to get training you want...but it looks good.

I would take a walk into the employment office and see what they offer for trainin and courses.....you may be surprised what is offered for free

There is doing research on the web with the ontario government website that might help also...

http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/.cmd/cs/.ce/7_0_A/.s/7_0_252/_s.7_0_A/7_0_252/_l/en?docid=004476

I have been through alot of courses and training....it is worth it in the end

Thanks antlerman never though of the free stuff from the employment office.

Additional though that my accountant advised me of year ago.

Since I have a full time job that provides me with my income which I live off of. If i had a hobby (cutting grass shoveling snow) that is tax freee income that I do not have to claim.

The odd job that I do is just a distraction from my job and play money and a backup if I were to quit in a fit of madness or get laid off.

it is steady income no matter what the odd jobs do. I want a steady income it certainly helps with the bank with loans and such. Where self employement does not look as good to them any way.

Thanks guy

have a good weekend.

Additional though that my accountant advised me of year ago.

Since I have a full time job that provides me with my income which I live off of. If i had a hobby (cutting grass shoveling snow) that is tax freee income that I do not have to claim.

Was your accountant nudging and winking when he told you that? I'm pretty sure that CRA would not agree that "hobby" income is tax free. However unless you tell them about it how they would know about cash transactions on the side is another question... The risk of being caught, even if audited, is probably very low.

My full time job pays my bills and I do get a t4 slip from them.

The grass cutting only something to do a couple of hours a week.

I live off of that and pay my bill off of that, I am not buying brand new hummers and new houses paying cash saying that I saved the money.

The odd jobs I do are only a couple of hours a week just enought to put alittle gas in the vehicle or buy some beer with. I am not trying to buy a hummer and pay cash for it, those people get caught. I know a few that have and gotten caught.

I talking earning maybe 20 to 30 extra a week. A hobby!

Well the interview list came out Tuesday and my name was not on it. Well I figured that I'm gone.

Shock Thursday I get a call from the owner and he wanted to meet with me.

I arrived at the selected location early we talked of just over an hours.

I surprised him and he learned a lot.

I officially have a 1 in 3 changes. Either way I just want to know This waiting needs to be over, I have had the waiting.

I will let you know what happens, thanks for the support guys.

I'm just getting caught up, after an exciting week of kibbitzing in Ottawa.

Jughead - I was so glad to hear you were given consideration for this position. As someone with advanced human resource training, I'd been reading this thread with an increasing sense of outrage at the way you're being treated by your employer. It was a relief to hear that you have been seen and given the opportunity to apply and be considered. That was shaping into a very unfair situation.

In the event you are not the successful candidate, my advice would be to move on. Seventeen years in the same job is too long unless you have a career path mapped out with your employer to enable you to move forward and progress. If you would like some guidance on formulating a new resume and strategy, I would be happy to help you. It's what I am trained to do - human resources and career transition services. We can map your next steps, repackage you on paper - a good resume - then off you go.

You will also want to brush up on a thing called the "behavioural descriptive interview". This is the interview model a lot of employers are using these days. Since you haven't needed to go to an interview in awhile, you'll want to prepare so that you can compete on a level footing with the other people out there who are used to this process.

Hope you get the job; it you don't then rest assured that the enormous exit from the work force by the babyboomers who are retiring in droves should guarantee you some options.

Good luck!

Edited by Joyful_Jillian
typo

well...for the owner to call and meet you personaly is a great thing.

Now....follow up with a small email to him thanking him for taking the time to meet you...

Dear Mr (boss name)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to meet me on (day you met).

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Thank you

(your name)