Am I expecting too much?

Having spent time scanning ads on CERB and on CL, I find myself wondering about the message being sent by the advertisers.

I know that two key goals of advertising are (1) getting the attention of the reader and (2) communicating a message.

So what is the message being sent when ads, particularly on CL, are full of spelling and grammar mistakes? Do they simply not care and does this extend to the service they claim to offer? Or, as the title asks, am I expecting too much?

Spelling is not important to me but the overall message is. Inner and outer beauties and gfe services rather than a degree in English literature fits more with my requirements lol .... however, that said, I think that some of the misspells are on purpose likely to make it more exotic or convey a particular message indirectly (i.e Cum and see me, instead of come and see me .... and many similar examples).

As Secret_Admirer said some "mistakes" are made on purpose like cum instead of come...but also if it is on CL you may need to think that some word are not allow, for example Greece or greek. even snow isn't allowed. So sometime you need to work around and make spelling mistakes to have your message past...also like me, some ladies don't have English as their first language and will do spelling mistakes and not even noticed it.

But some yeah you see that it's really butched and they don't care

• Like 1

Me, I wouldn't neccesarily read too much into it. I've read good writing from people with high school only, and horrible writing from those with university degrees. BTW don't read into that that I'm saying university educated are poor writers and high school only are good writers. Just it depends on the person

When I hobby, I'm looking for a lady to spend time with, not someone who can proofread my writing

My 2 cents

RG

I do try to convey in my web page my idea of erotics and favority types of sexualities and

i am sorry if i destroy your beautfull shakesperian language in the process, however.

English it is my third language, thus i am sure the grammar and spelling of my posts are full of mistakes. When i was in University we had spell check which would help us correct mistakes. As a result my spelling suffer.

Contrary to what my posts might indicate, i love language and i read voraciously, a good novel can be my companion for an entire summer.

To me there is nothing that turns me on more then a sophisticated rethoric. I get excited by just watching Charles Rose or The Agenda. Not excited as in sexual but i worship well spoken language speakers.

French is the language that turns dirt into romance. .

Sthephan King

Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about. .

Edited by Amanda Bella

I do no think it extends to the services they offer. Most sp's care about their clients and make sure they are pleased, so of course they would care. I do not think that you are expecting too much, the advertisment factor is there, which you might think that they are spelling wrong cause they do not care. If you noticed (like mentioned before, cum) was spelled different, it grabs your attention, and in point proves that this spelling worked for advertising purposes. Also 1 or 2 wrong hits on the keyboard shouldn't label a person for not caring. Hope this helped.

Having spent time scanning ads on CERB and on CL, I find myself wondering about the message being sent by the advertisers.

I know that two key goals of advertising are (1) getting the attention of the reader and (2) communicating a message.

So what is the message being sent when ads, particularly on CL, are full of spelling and grammar mistakes? Do they simply not care and does this extend to the service they claim to offer? Or, as the title asks, am I expecting too much?

My only concern in terms of advertising is how the provider in question is presented. I feel that some of the agencies advertise their providers in a way that is detrimental to the provider and may attract a type of clientele she doesn't want.

• Like 6

I'm curious, why is grammar and spelling a concern to you? Do you think that it is an indication of intelligence? Why on earth would you submit a post that points out spelling and grammar errors, who cares?

If you feel that the author of the ad is using spelling and grammar mistakes as part of her "style", then you likely should not have concerns. If it seems that the author simply cannot spell and has grammar mistakes that were not done on purpose, then that could be a clue to larger issues. Not a reason to skip a girl, but it is something that I would take note of, if I contacted her for further information.

I'm thinking it could be a lot of things already mentioned.

my computer has spell-as-you-write spellchecker and everyone I know has it too, I assume the holder of the ad would too.

Personally..if it were me...

If there are that many spelling mistakes, and after calling them I did not hear any accents that might indicate that English is not their first language..The only thing I can think of is that I would be tended to as poorly by the provider as she was careless in spell checking her ad.

Or.. It s personal style, I find a lot of people are speaking and spelling in their own direction and haven t realized the world may not follow the lingo that is not universal to all age groups.

Compare the spelling to this site, the younger one s lingo these days

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Guest High***d****an-Can***

It really all depends on what the hobbyist is looking for....

Yes - use of the word "cum" as opposed to "come" is generally recognized as a tool to gain more attention on CL posts and others

Yes - spelling mistakes and grammatical errors can be found from those posting with English as their second language.

Therefore, I feel it doesn't, or it shouldn't, have a negative effect when choosing an SP. However, I feel that the ad that is being posted does provide some insight as to the type of person she is. For example, if the ad is indistinct and there are avoidable spelling errors (ie: "amd" for and), if I were a hobbyist it shows me that the SP doesn't seem to take her business seriously. If I were looking for an SP who could cater to my need for professionalism, that ad would be skipped. As profesional and independent career women, it is important that we take all aspects of our business seriously; AND being women, we have the natural ability to make that look effortless . Essentially, we attract the same energy we exude.

It really all depends on what the hobbyist is looking for....

Yes - use of the word "cum" as opposed to "come" is generally recognized as a tool to gain more attention on CL posts and others

Yes - spelling mistakes and grammatical errors can be found from those posting with English as their second language.

Therefore, I feel it doesn't, or it shouldn't, have a negative effect when choosing an SP. However, I feel that the ad that is being posted does provide some insight as to the type of person she is. For example, if the ad is indistinct and there are avoidable spelling errors (ie: "amd" for and), if I were a hobbyist it shows me that the SP doesn't seem to take her business seriously. If I were looking for an SP who could cater to my need for professionalism, that ad would be skipped. As profesional and independent career women, it is important that we take all aspects of our business seriously; AND being women, we have the natural ability to make that look effortless . Essentially, we attract the same energy we exude.

Agree. However, I admit that I am a bit biased. Having worked as an executive assistant and transcriber most of my adult working life, bad spelling is one my pet peeves. I hate to sound judgmental, but I believe its says something about a person's character when they don't take that extra care to review the spelling or grammar in their ad.

If a person is disabled so to speak in this area, perhaps have another person look it over for them. When I do office work, I would never dream of submitting a report that was fraught with typos. I'd get fired!

I suppose most would-be clients don't care, but I have had some tell me they chose my ad because it was the only one on CL that morning they saw, that "didn't" have typos.

I think now days with a lot of younger people or people who's first language is not English, we are seeing more and more bad spelling and grammar. It's truly unfortunate, but reality.

My nieces for example, use short forms when texting and in chat, and their regular writing is horrible. They don't seem to care - just shrug it off as "oh well". I see far too many people rely on spell check when words can be taken out of context or have variations in spelling (e.g. there, they're and their).

Edited by Mature Angela
Only one person found my spelling mistake I put in there on purpose
  • Like 3

Sometimes the spelling errors are strategic, so cops with too much time on their hands don't do a simple keyword search and start targeting someone, just based on words in an ad.

Another possible strategic reason behind it could also be because of psychology. If you look at the horrid spelling of texting kids, you might be fooled into thinking that the one putting up the poorly-spelled ad is a very young person. And youth is a strong sell in this business, although I don't agree with it myself.

Guest S**a*Q
I'm curious, why is grammar and spelling a concern to you? Do you think that it is an indication of intelligence? Why on earth would you submit a post that points out spelling and grammar errors, who cares?

I care, spelling errors are a huge turn off for me. *(I'm not a stickler, but I mean more along the lines of "Hey how r u? Ur smokin. L8tr." Just not putting any effort whatsoever to check the red squiggly lines...)

I think that if the person takes the time to ensure that there are no mistakes *(Or few mistakes... I make random fast typing errors all the time) it just means that little bit more to me.

Just remember, that even if there are some mistakes, the effort is still there, I am French and I have a big problem with certain words that are similar in French and English.

For example, Bleu (French) and Blue (English) are difficult for me, and I never ever get them right without thinking about the beer.

If the spelling is such a big deal, I am sure that the person can send you an ad in her or his mother tongue and see how you do in your reply.

But I agree with people using abbreviations such as tlk 2 u l8er @ the Pb. I think this is only cool if you are texting. But in an add I think a little more effort can be done.

I know that my spelling and grammer is not the gratest, but that is why some poeple call me FB (Short for French Bastard!)

Just remember, that even if there are some mistakes, the effort is still there, I am French and I have a big problem with certain words that are similar in French and English.

For example, Bleu (French) and Blue (English) are difficult for me, and I never ever get them right without thinking about the beer.

If the spelling is such a big deal, I am sure that the person can send you an ad in her or his mother tongue and see how you do in your reply.

But I agree with people using abbreviations such as tlk 2 u l8er @ the Pb. I think this is only cool if you are texting. But in an add I think a little more effort can be done.

I know that my spelling and grammer is not the gratest, but that is why some poeple call me FB (Short for French Bastard!)

For real! I have issues with verbe tense and pronounciation. I write English the same way I would write French! I know my sentences are backwards sometimes, but, as you do, I still pay attention. Proofreading is a mark of respect. Or maybe I could write my ads as: "Call me!". Would be way more easier...

I think most people can tell the difference between errors due to English/French translation vs. just poor spelling. As you say, in the case of english/french these are usually caused by using the french word or a french-style grammar. For example:

"Not tonight honey, I have a headache."

might get translated to:

"Not this evening honey, j' have an headache." :sm185:

Easy to tell these types of spelling apart from genuinely stupid people's spelling.

I think most people can tell the difference between errors due to English/French translation vs. just poor spelling. As you say, in the case of english/french these are usually caused by using the french word or a french-style grammar. For example:

"Not tonight honey, I have a headache."

might get translated to:

"Not this evening honey, j' have an headache." :sm185:

Easy to tell these types of spelling apart from genuinely stupid people's spelling.

A sp, irrespective of grammatical/spelling mistakes or perfect spelling and grammar would lose lots of customers fast, whether using "not tonight honey" or "not this evening honey"...

LOL

Sorry, saw the post, couldn't resist

RG

Guest Ou**or**n

I cannot for the life of me understand the whole posting style on CL. To me the goal of an ad is to attract a client. You would think most ladies would 'put their best foot forward' in their ads. However the opposite is true.

I know lots of guys use CL, there seems to be a mismatch between the clients and providers in terms of how the ladies choose to word their ads.

I find the majority of the ads to be turnoffs.

I cannot for the life of me understand the whole posting style on CL. To me the goal of an ad is to attract a client. You would think most ladies would 'put their best foot forward' in their ads. However the opposite is true.

I know lots of guys use CL, there seems to be a mismatch between the clients and providers in terms of how the ladies choose to word their ads.

I find the majority of the ads to be turnoffs.

I agree with your points. To me, outside of the "naughty" words which CL blocks (btw, naughty is one such word), there is no excuse for bad grammar, punctuation, use of ALL CAPS, and spelling errors. It is an advertisement, not a text message to friends after all, and the person posting it is running a business (her own or maybe it is an agency posting ads). There is no excuse good enough for a shabby presentation in advertisements, imo.

Because at the end of the day (seen here in this thread) for those it matters to it matters a GREAT deal, and for those it doesn't matter to it won't make much difference. But for the first group, they will not see such an sp. For the 2nd group, they will see an sp who spells correctly too. So the sp who spells correctly, takes the time to present herself professionally, will see guys from both groups. The sp who does not, will only see half of the potential clients.

So, an sp who does not take the time and care to write a proper ad is not taking her business seriously. An sp who does not take her biz seriously may be assumed to be an unprofessional and unconcerned sp in general in every aspect of that business, meaning she can be assumed to provide bad service.

Yes, a lot of assumptions, but what else does a reader have to go on other than that first advertisement, and what she has chosen to do and not do when posting the ad? The thing is, for the clients representing the first group, that is exactly what they assume. They will stick to the sps who advertise as Angela mentioned, and they will take the time to tell the sp exactly why they are contacting her. (I get the same comments all the time as well). So an sp can choose to be complimented and chosen based on the quality and care she takes with this initial presentation (the Ad), or she can sit around and wait for the guys from the 2nd group to check out her ad. 8)

• Like 1

My Dad, who's in his 90's, has beautiful handwriting, like an artist is doing caligraphy. I usually care about grammar and spelling but I'm noticing the younger generation couldn't care less, and I'm beginning to care less too. English is so screwed up to start with....it takes too much energy to get it right. Who really cares? All that is really important with a language is if the message is getting across. English is evolving, I want to evolve with it.

Another possible strategic reason behind it could also be because of psychology. If you look at the horrid spelling of texting kids, you might be fooled into thinking that the one putting up the poorly-spelled ad is a very young person.

"Come in to my parlor", said the spider to the fly.

I see this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm new and wasn't around when this discussion originally occurred and wanted to way in, because I completely agree with the poster - though completely agree with the responses that suggest everyone is different and this isn't a one solution fits all.

Style of expression is very important to me. The odd typo is acceptable; who doesn't have the odd typo? For me, intelligence is a huge factor in whether I am interested or not. Sentence structure, spelling and depth of expression are all fairly evident when reading a post and help me identify those suitable for me.

Excessive use of abbreviations and 'texting-speak' would have me moving on to someone else immediately. A thoughtful post that conveys intelligence - now that would hook me. Combine that with a cute picture and a bit of subtle seduction; simply irresistible.