Ontario passes ban on smoking in cars with kids under 16

Ontario became the latest province to ban adults from smoking in cars where children are present Monday after a government-backed bill passed in the legislature with support from all parties.

The province already bans smoking in workplaces and public areas, such as bars and restaurants. The new ban will also protect kids under the age of 16 who are being exposed to dangerous levels of second-hand smoke, said Health Promotion Minister Margarett Best.

"This is about protection of our most vulnerable citizens ? children who do not have a voice," Best told the legislature.

Premier Dalton McGuinty once dismissed a province-wide ban as a slippery slope that infringed too much on people's rights, but changed his tune in March and threw his government's support behind the private members' bill.

Offenders will also face much lighter fines than originally envisioned by Liberal backbencher David Orazietti, who championed the ban. Drivers and passengers who don't butt out in vehicles carrying children won't be fined more than $250 for each offence, rather than being penalized up to $1,000.

Nova Scotia and British Columbia have already outlawed the practice, which critics liken to child abuse. Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick are also considering a similar ban.

Police will be expected to enforce the law once it takes effect, but the province is counting on most people abiding by the law, said Best.

Ontario Provincial Police have said the ban won't make their job more onerous, as they are already inspecting for seatbelts and child car seats.

The province says kids are exposed to up to 27 times the toxins when they're in enclosed spaces like a car, which can worsen asthma and lead to other respiratory illnesses.

Mychoice.ca, a smokers' rights group financed in part by the tobacco industry, has raised concerns that the ban will eventually extend to private homes, but McGuinty said that's not under consideration.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/444120

I wonder how the hell any of us survived to this point - I still remember when Drinking and Driving meant Drinking AND Driving - as in how many beers are left and can you pass the scotch, son.

It's still OK to drink and drive, as long as you don't spill!

Ontario became the latest province to ban adults from smoking in cars where children are present Monday after a government-backed bill passed in the legislature with support from all parties.

The province already bans smoking in workplaces and public areas, such as bars and restaurants. The new ban will also protect kids under the age of 16 who are being exposed to dangerous levels of second-hand smoke, said Health Promotion Minister Margarett Best.

"This is about protection of our most vulnerable citizens ? children who do not have a voice," Best told the legislature.

Premier Dalton McGuinty once dismissed a province-wide ban as a slippery slope that infringed too much on people's rights, but changed his tune in March and threw his government's support behind the private members' bill.

Offenders will also face much lighter fines than originally envisioned by Liberal backbencher David Orazietti, who championed the ban. Drivers and passengers who don't butt out in vehicles carrying children won't be fined more than $250 for each offence, rather than being penalized up to $1,000.

Nova Scotia and British Columbia have already outlawed the practice, which critics liken to child abuse. Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick are also considering a similar ban.

Police will be expected to enforce the law once it takes effect, but the province is counting on most people abiding by the law, said Best.

Ontario Provincial Police have said the ban won't make their job more onerous, as they are already inspecting for seatbelts and child car seats.

The province says kids are exposed to up to 27 times the toxins when they're in enclosed spaces like a car, which can worsen asthma and lead to other respiratory illnesses.

Mychoice.ca, a smokers' rights group financed in part by the tobacco industry, has raised concerns that the ban will eventually extend to private homes, but McGuinty said that's not under consideration.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/444120

From what I read of this law is that the government perceives this to be a widespread practice of adult motorists are smoking with young children in vehicles. The majority of smokers that I know don't even smoke in their own homes but rather outside.

From what I read of this law is that the government perceives this to be a widespread practice of adult motorists are smoking with young children in vehicles. The majority of smokers that I know don't even smoke in their own homes but rather outside.

Kih,

Take a drive through Vanier, or sit on a bench on Montreal rd and Vaneir parkway, you will get the need for the law.

Kih,

Take a drive through Vanier, or sit on a bench on Montreal rd and Vaneir parkway, you will get the need for the law.

I guess they will be butting out now or stopping their vehicles on the side of the road getting out and having a smoke.

I guess they will be butting out now or stopping their vehicles on the side of the road getting out and having a smoke.

They will probably figure that if all the windows are down that the rule doesn't count, that's the mentality of this demographic. I am not talking about the smoking demographic as I know that there are smokers in all classes and social groups, however it is a significantly higher problem with low income types, probably a combination of miss information and low self esteem.

In the late 80's I was a race car driver (I know the classic response "YOU were an athlete just look at you how can that be"). At that time the government was passing a bill that would ban cigarette companies from sponsoring sports in Canada. This was a huge blow to the tobacco industry because as we all know being a top performing athlete and smoking a pack a day go hand in hand! At the race track we had the Rothmans Porsche series the GM/ Players series and many individual cars sponsored by the tobacco companies, this was easy money for the events and drivers to grab and everyone was terrified that automobile racing in Canada would come to an end if this bill was passed, the tobacco companies essentially guaranteed that it would (man those guys are true visionaries!). Friends of mine who were running marathons to help keep up there conditioning to race cars were manning booths insisting that all passers by sign the petition to stop the legislation it was an absolutely shameful display of selling out and hypocrisy and made me sic to my stomach. The media machines at the tobacco companies are extremely good at hiding the facts and putting a compelling spin on there side of the story, this industry is one of the most sinister known to modern man, don't get sucked in, cigarettes rob you of so much that is important, they isolate you they ruin your health, there is no redeeming quality! I do understand that you may be addicted and have not found the inner strength to quite yet but please don't think at any time this is socially acceptable or adds any value to your life.

I close with this simple story if you went into a store and found a can of pet food that had on the label "this food taste great your pet will love it however it will kill your pet" would you feed it to your pet? - Of course not! because we love our pets -

Please give yourself the same respect as your pet, you are just as important. Life is truly a gift don't take it for granted.

Guest BarrieBoy

The town of Orillia is trying to pass a bylaw to ban smoking in parks where children play. I think this open-air ban goes too far.

The challenge with any ban is the ability to enforce it. Enforcing a ban on smoking outside is like try to enforce a ban on peeing in the pool.

Now, what if we hired half the population to watch the other half to enforce half the laws. The first half of watchers would then be watched by the other half, thus full enforcement. It is a voyeur legal system. I watch yours and you watch mine.

The town of Orillia is trying to pass a bylaw to ban smoking in parks where children play. I think this open-air ban goes too far.

There are some things that don't need to be enforced, it is legal to hammer nails through your body and I think smoking outside is only slightly more harmful to others than that, and certainly no worse than automotive emissions, so if they must smoke let em smoke! Of course I don't think anyone has died from self inflicted nail wound.

I would assume it would depend on the delivery of the nail, my Stanley B air nailer pointed in the wrong direction would leave one, at the least, comatose! A lot less messy to kill oneself with tobacco...

Catherine

What about convertibles?....

Very good point! Another would be motor boats out on a lake.

Well I can tell you that in both cases there are great ways to incorporate a bar, in a convertible you can usually easily make a door into the trunk and viola icebox bar! and most boats come with mini fridges!! So yes drink away! Just remember it's rude to spill even on the bumpiest roads or roughest waters.

Guest AVA

Yes very well said Dumpy. Being a child of the 70's that had parents smoking has given me such bad scaring on my lungs tissue. I think it is about time the goverment stepped in and did something about it.

Yes very well said Dumpy. Being a child of the 70's that had parents smoking has given me such bad scaring on my lungs tissue. I think it is about time the goverment stepped in and did something about it.

I wonder if the government would be so "keen" to introduce legislation that protected people for/from the things that are less politically convenient - such as safe injection sites, livable minimum wages, legalized marijuana, occupational rights and health standards for sex workers. The smoking issue is important and has caused harm in children over decades but the hypocrisy is just stunning.

I wonder if the government would be so "keen" to introduce legislation that protected people for/from the things that are less politically convenient - such as safe injection sites, livable minimum wages, legalized marijuana, occupational rights and health standards for sex workers. The smoking issue is important and has caused harm in children over decades but the hypocrisy is just stunning.

I do hear most of what you are saying however for the marijuana, I see it and other smoked drugs essentially the same as cigarettes, although of course tobacco has the highest physical dependency they all add serious amounts of carcinogens and pollutants to the air. As for sex workers I firmly believe that they should be given a place on the books as a legitimate occupation, if nothing else it would help the tax base! But the minimum wage thing I can't help myself with, cause I do believe that we make our own lot in life. Choose to not work and collect social assistance, or choose to work for minimum wage, or act to increase your worth and choose to work for as much as you think you are worth. I am definitely in position to speak on any of these things with any authority just my soap box rant. But the hole 4-20 thing is over done.

I tend to agree with most of what you are saying dummpy, but having been on both sides of the track more than once, I do differ with you on the issue of social assistance, wages and working a bit.

In my life I have been blessed with the ability to drag myself out of some very deep holes. But many people are not so fortunate and truthfully the last time I went down that hole I almost did not make it out. I was on social assistance for a while and it was the most demoralizing and degrading experience I have had to date. Whats worse is once you are in that position the system (contrary to general statements of our politicians) makes it dam near impossible to get back out on your own. I am definitely not advocating a welfare state the problem is that the system is seriously broken. In the end there is no simple magic pill that will fix all inequities but a helping hand can change a life and sometimes a world, I just ask that you keep that in mind that's all.

I compleatly agree with your sentiment that we make our own lot in life, and I know you probably can understand whrere I am coming from having made and lost careers and fortunes yourself. It is simply not all of us are even given a choice, like the children in cars with smokers as a small example. Sorry but I guess I needed to rant back a little.