Blackberry & Wi-Fi

Well, I got a deal on some Blackberry phones from Wind Mobile, so I went for it. I never used BB's before, so everything is a bit new to me. I would like to use Wi-Fi network connections whenever I'm in a place with a Wi-Fi network, like at home. I've set up the Wi-Fi network properly, and I see that it's connected by the icons, but I still get the feeling it's using the cellular data plan instead, because it's so slow.

Also I was reading some faqs that said various BB functions no longer work if you're not using the Rim data plan. Is this true?

I don't know about whether or not functions are disabled on your plan (dumb question, but did you get a data plan?), but if you want to check to see if you are connected to a wi-fi network, go to options -> status. You should see an IP address. Your internet browser will also show you to which kind of network you are attached in the top right hand corner.

Hope this helps.

I've set up the Wi-Fi network properly, and I see that it's connected by the icons, but I still get the feeling it's using the cellular data plan instead, because it's so slow.

If the wi-fi tag is on you are very certainly using wi-fi. And yes the biggest and common complain is BB's wifi is slow, actually the browser is slow.

RIM is suppose to address this issue with its latest and greatest devices.

If the wi-fi tag is on you are very certainly using wi-fi. And yes the biggest and common complain is BB's wifi is slow, actually the browser is slow.

RIM is suppose to address this issue with its latest and greatest devices.

Ah! Okay, well that makes me feel a little better, knowing I'm not alone. But the browser's speed seems to be the same whether I'm using the Internet over the Wi-Fi or the 3G network.

Additional Comments:

I don't know about whether or not functions are disabled on your plan (dumb question, but did you get a data plan?), but if you want to check to see if you are connected to a wi-fi network, go to options -> status. You should see an IP address. Your internet browser will also show you to which kind of network you are attached in the top right hand corner.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I have a data plan. I was reading the following FAQ which said that certain programs don't work unless you have the BB Internet Service:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_use_BlackBerry_on_Generic_Data_Plan

I'm just a little disappointed in its speed though, for example it is 1/6th the speed of my home broadband/Wi-Fi. I was hoping to originally use this BB in a tethering mode with my laptop, but it looks like as if it's going to be a little too slow for that purpose, except as an emergency. They said I should be ideally getting 4-7 Mbps, but I'm seeing only less than 1 Mbps.

Caveat: This might be old information and incorrect for the latest devices.

Another reason it is slow browsing is because all your browser connections go thru RIM. It might use your Wi-Fi to head out but it passes thru RIM's server. This is to allow it to compress and streamline the web page to fit the BB's browser.

I've only tethered my iPhone, no experience with BB tethering.

Caveat: This might be old information and incorrect for the latest devices.

Another reason it is slow browsing is because all your browser connections go thru RIM. It might use your Wi-Fi to head out but it passes thru RIM's server. This is to allow it to compress and streamline the web page to fit the BB's browser.

Yeah, I finally downloaded the Opera mini, already see a difference.

Posted via Mobile Device