Can't and won't keep up with technology...

As consumers, why can?t we wait for the next generation that can fulfill our needs for at least three years? Is it simply human nature?

Consider this: the big rush to buy the first generation (of any tech device). It always has lower memory, storage, fewer mega pixels (camera), slower conductivity - usually in basic black or silver. We are playing into the hands of the big market tech developers: Apple, RIM, Sony, Google, to name a few. I am sure they have unwritten agreements to launch new tech devices with limited capability. This way they can reel in all the public to buy the first generation, knowing full well they have the capability to launch with more at the beginning and for the same price. The expectation is that we will all trade up in a year or so to get more capability - and therefore spend more money and discard old devices to the landfill or top drawer in the bedroom.

I was in the Apple store yesterday looking at buying the ipod touch (4th generation - already - what over a year or so?) for a Chrismas present. It has almost the same functionality as the iphone (less phone and gps) but includes options like a camera, more storage and better browser speed. Problem is my friend allready has a phone with some of the ipad functionality - so now she might have to carry around will two devices (more to lose or misplace).

I am making due with a three year old Blackberry and a heavy old classic black ipod (4 years old) waiting, until an all singing, all dancing device is available that has , phone (video/voice), browser, GPS, e-reader, multi-media storage capability and compatible with a PC and iMac.

Humm...what abot that RIM Playbook (tablet) that is due to be launched after Christmas.....?

All the tech companies are doing tablets next year. Rim, HP, Samsung, Etc... It will be interesting to see what OS is the best. Currently I prefer the macOS over Android but with FLASH and stuff not being an issue on the Android/MS and RIM devices I can see a lot of people jumping ship on apple.

The apple tablet is restrictive, no camera, no SD card reader and no flash... so plenty of room for the other guys to come in and steal some of the market!! The RIM device looks pretty cool from what I have seen and with RIM dumping money into the private app developers markets they may actually really pull ahead.

I love my iPad... I use it for HOURS a day. I often hit the 10% battery warning by the end of the day so it really gets a work out. It is a little big to carry around at times and the RIM looks a lot more like a device you could easily carry with you. I am looking forward to trying one first hand.

That's the thing I don't get: I just got a reformed 3rd gen iPod touch. Yeah, it's got the problem with flash, but not a big deal. No mic or cam either--but for the amount paid, it offers a lot of functionality.

The best thing about it, though, is it fits in my pocket. If I must have something bigger and clumsier, it will be full featured like my netbook

I have a second gen ipod myself ... works great. Runs everything the 4th gen does that I need... and you can pick them up for 150.00 or less now refurbished so I agree if your looking for a ipod no need to spend the money on the newest (Not a big enough difference really)

I don't think there's any grand conspiracy here... the constant parade of new and shiny stuff is just a reflection of the pace of development and improvements in what's there already.

The thing to remember is that just because yet another new and shiny toy came out this week, there's not necessarily any reason to buy it - and the fact that something's already considered obsolete doesn't mean that it'll suddenly stop doing what it's done perfectly well up to now. Like Reddog, I'm also happy with my stone-age iPod, and I've never had a smartphone of any kind. I *like* not being able to read emails 24/7/365 :)

Guest ***nsut***jr

If you look at Apples products you can easily tell that they are setting up the market to require upgrades and upsells. Its just good business. Put yourself in their position. They went through some really hard times when they were committed to selling high quality products for a premium price.

That was bad business. Now the products are only upper mid range but more affordable. Microsoft and PC makers have been selling crap for years making a ton of cash and now Apple has hit a sweet spot. Remember we are in bad times economically and they have done a great job with their business.

Personally I buy whatever has a feature(s) that I need to be productive. I don't care what the upgrade cycle is as long as new features improve my life. If not, I will hang onto what works for as long as it lasts.

Buy what you need when you need it. Buy early and often if you have to. If you can wait chances are you don't have a use for it to begin with.

JMO

J

Guest ***nsut***jr

If you look at Apples products you can easily tell that they are setting up the market to require upgrades and upsells. Its just good business. Put yourself in their position. They went through some really hard times when they were committed to selling high quality products for a premium price.

That was bad business. Now the products are only upper mid range but more affordable. Microsoft and PC makers have been selling crap for years making a ton of cash and now Apple has hit a sweet spot. Remember we are in bad times economically and they have done a great job with their business.

Personally I buy whatever has a feature(s) that I need to be productive. I don't care what the upgrade cycle is as long as new features improve my life. If not, I will hang onto what works for as long as it lasts.

Buy what you need when you need it. Buy early and often if you have to. If you can wait chances are you don't have a use for it to begin with.

JMO

J