Can't Remove OR Repair Itunes

I am using Win XP Pro, on a p 3 866. Thanks for the link, I will test that out today and let you know how it goes. I really wanted to blast my Metallica tunes this morning, but I couldn't:shock:

Additional Comments:

Tried that and still couldn't get it removed:shock:

Are you familiar with the Registry ?

Maybe your Itunes is infected.

I have found that the only way to really clean out a problem program (including virus) is to edit the registry, with a registry editor, run from a Boot Disk. Wipe out all references to its .exe .dll .sys etcetera.

Example: (short version)

My main PC had a Rootkit Trojan on it (probably for years). All virus and rootkit scanners I tried, missed it. Some scanners would alert to suspect files, but failed to delete them. Using Regedit.exe to delete these manually, I would get denied permission.

Solution: Burn a Boot CD loaded with system tools that allow you to do surgery on Windows while it is dormant ! http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Avira scanner then found the rootkit.

Regedit could then allow me to delete all suspect entries.

(Google the file name first)

I know this method is not for the novice, and I have been poking puters for decades. Maybe paid versions of AV Progs work better, but I wont pay. Wasted too much time trying them out, and proved to myself they fail. Rootkit trojans, becoming more common, can hide files from Scanners that run while in Windows. You could be somebodys BOT, and don't know it, or sending your info to Russia.

The tools I use now are the likes of HijackThis and GMER, to alert me of odd behaviour. Then I get out the Big Stick (BootCD)

Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes I delete a needed file in the program (always messing with my registry, when will I learn LOL) and I have to reinstall the program to get the missing file and just uninstall it again. Had this prob with Itunes. Couldn't get rid of apple updates.

IMO Itunes is just bloatware. You can use your ipod without resorting to itunes. I just use the ipod plugin for foobar. I'll never have itunes on a computer of mine again.