Anti-Virus Advice

My subscription to McAfee runs out in a day or two. Should I renew it or are there better anti-virus/spyware programs out there

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

RG

Guest S*rca****sid

You can find free anti-virus that works just as well. If you use windows, they have their own anti-virus that has had some good reviews.

Check out AVG, Avira, Avast... to name a few.

You may want to look at Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. I have used it and the previous versions over the last few years and have had no problems.

Kaspersky has "lab personnel" that deal with finding solutions to the latest malware, spyware, viruses, trojans and other issues. With your subscription, you receive constant updates to your protection data base.

A lot of financial institutes that deal with money transfers are recommending it as well. I have found no "slow down" in operating speed and you can also change levels of protection as well....

Rodehard

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid

A firewall is there to allow what you want in.... I'm not sure I would want that feature in a condom, watertight is fine with me.

Guest G***f******

I wanna second the recommendation for Karspersky. Been using it for 3 years now and have had 0 problems with any of the PCs I've put it on since.

I saw an ad in the Staples flyer the other day that it was on sale there.

I don't mean this as a hijack to the thread. I've used several anti-virus suites in the past and was always frustrated.

I don't know if anyone has any recommendations on how to assist with overcoming these problems, but here are some of the common issues I have with anti-virus suites:

- Use one package, no virus found. Try one or two others and it's hit and miss between if they find something or not.

- Each suite seems to have different names for a virus. I run one program it comes up finding virus x, and another software package finds virus y. It's the same virus.

- A number of packages I find are a little to aggressive. Especially for the unsaavy computer user. I had one package tell me that remote desktop is a trojan. I knew better, but the same prompt came up for my elderly parents and they thought someone hacked their computer.

I think if you have had a good experience with with what you've got, stay with it. I've used the Norton suite for years and had a few problems, but it's now very stable. The one thing that's annoying is their prssure to renew the subscription.

Can your AV detect and remove Stealth MBR Rootkits ?

IMO, Your PC isn't clean until you know this.

None of the free versions I have tried could do it.

Is there any paid versions that can do it.

I won't pay for a program that , maybe, will do it.

Meanwhile, I use GMER to look for Rootkits.

Btw, Mic Sec Ess spotted a trojan on my system only after copying a suspect file in System32/drivers, to another directory.

MSE may protect you from new infection, but don't count on it to cure one !

Edited by Suzirider
changed MBT to MBR

As a service provider in the IT industry, I have used Microsoft Security Essential as realtime protection for myself and clients since its inception(Windows Live OneCare before). All Anti-Viral solutions suffer from the Cat and Mouse game. New viruses are release daily and if you hit the link in an email or go to the wrong website before your flavour of AV releases and updates the definition to combat a specific virus, you catch it, like a flu vaccine.

I usually install Malwarebytes as a cleaner. If that virus gets though, then Malwarebytes (in safe mode) works very effectively as a removal solution.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps,

MA

Guest Kr****er09

Currently I use MSE for everything, previously I have had great success with Kaspersky Internet Security and fully recommend it. I plan to pick it up again soon.

For what it's worth we have just switched our corporate antivirus to McAfee but when i asked our IT guy what he uses at home he quietly told me that MSE along with Malwarebytes is all you really need. Works for me.

It's like anything in this world: you get what you pay for.

Sure there are many free anti-virus downloadable software out there but, they are good to a certain point.

True that for the common users, this will satisfy all their needs 99% of the time.

But if a malicious new virus or trojan comes out, it might not detect it.

At work, we also use Kaspersky and it's good, very good I shall say.

ith a subscription, you get an updated database every 2 days or so.

Because it's paid and they make revenues, they have some manpower to develop the software to improve it continuously.

I used to have Kaspersky but now use ESETNOD32 and never looked back, it is updated everyday and does not slow down my computer at all.

Hey RG,

I'm a journeyman tool pusher only and have switched over to Kapersky after years with AVG and Mac. I'm sticking with K as they are seamless, easy to use and totally efective.

Musings from a tech challenged but seasoned business person...

I use ESET smart security

Good AV program plus firewall ( nice to know what programs are talking from your computer too! )

Plus I run malwarebytes about once a month for safety reasons