Question About Multiple Accounts

Just wondering, if I log into my account from a different computer does that flag as multiple account.

The second computer has no CERB accounts on it whatsoever, and is used by me when I'm away from home

Just wondering, thats all

RG

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure that it's multiple people (accounts) sharing the same computer that get flagged.

Totally correct. I have used computers while away that did not have CERB accounts on them, and never had an issue.

Guest G***f******
Totally correct. I have used computers while away that did not have CERB accounts on them, and never had an issue.

Even at home, I have logged in from my laptop, desktop, iPad and MacBook without issue.

I think what sets off alarms is if they see two separate accounts (login IDs) getting onto the system while presenting the same IP address.

Worst case scenerio

Imagine if your SO decided to become a SP without your knowledge.

That would be a interesting conversation after both CERB accounts were suspended.

LOL.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... I think what sets off alarms is if they see two separate accounts (login IDs) getting onto the system while presenting the same IP address.

No, it's not the IP that generates a warning, it's using the same computer:

Shared IP's are fine.... This system is 100% accurate. If it gives us a warning those two accounts have been accessed on cerb using the very same EXACT computer ...

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthr...42post136642

No, it's not the IP that generates a warning, it's using the same computer:

That's right.

With NAT (Network Address Translations), potentially thousands of computers, say at a large university or business, could share the same external IP address (the one that the world sees).

That is correct. It is the same computer... hopefully everyone is SMART enough to delete history and temporary internet files so that no one else in your HOuSE decides to see what you are up to and comes and makes an account.

Always delete browsing history/temp internet files etc after every use when using the other computer, and do it weekly on my own computer (no one else has access to it)

Thanks for the info

RG

For those using Firefox, the BetterPrivacy add-on is very good for this - it cleans quite a lot of stuff up when you exit the browser. Very useful.

You DO NOT need a PLUG IN for firefox for this.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+P and this opens a PRIVACY WINDOW

You DO NOT need a PLUG IN for firefox for this.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+P and this opens a PRIVACY WINDOW

Hmmm - doesn't open up anything for me.

Besides, I thought Firefox didn't track anything once you close down the browser.

Guest W***ledi*Time
Hmmm - doesn't open up anything for me..

I think that means you were already browsing privately. Check Firefox's title window, it should say "Mozilla Firefox (Private Browsing)". If you CTRL+SHIFT+P while Private Browsing, it switches you out of Private Browsing and the title window changes to just ""Mozilla Firefox". CTRL+SHIFT+P switches you back and forth between the two browsing modes, but only opens the Privacy Window when switching to Private Browsing from regular mode.

Plus you only get a pop up if it was not selected "do not show this again".

If someone has selected that, the ctrl shift p will just switch back and forth with no notification.

So as WIT said check the top of the window to verify you are browsing private or not.

I think that means you were already browsing privately. Check Firefox's title window, it should say "Mozilla Firefox (Private Browsing)". If you CTRL+SHIFT+P while Private Browsing, it switches you out of Private Browsing and the title window changes to just ""Mozilla Firefox". CTRL+SHIFT+P switches you back and forth between the two browsing modes, but only opens the Privacy Window when switching to Private Browsing from regular mode.

Nope - oddly, none of the above.

I clicked on Tools from the topline menu & it shows that key combination as: "Stop Private Browsing". But it is grayed-out. When I tried to enable/disable private browsing nothing happens. I wonder if I have to download the plugin like Phaedrus suggested?

Try clicking on "Tools" then click on "Options", a window will open. Along the top row are some icons, Click on "Privacy".

I think this is what you are looking for...

Nope - oddly, none of the above.

I clicked on Tools from the topline menu & it shows that key combination as: "Stop Private Browsing". But it is grayed-out. When I tried to enable/disable private browsing nothing happens. I wonder if I have to download the plugin like Phaedrus suggested?

Or else you are running an older version of FF, and need to download a newer version!

Try clicking on "Tools" then click on "Options", a window will open. Along the top row are some icons, Click on "Privacy".

I think this is what you are looking for...

Yep - the Privacy setting for me is "Never Remember History".

Mystery solved!

Now, what were we talking about?

Besides, I thought Firefox didn't track anything once you close down the browser.

Firefox does track everything unless you are in privacy mode. Make sure you are running Firefox version 3.6.13 (or the new beta but it's buggy still so you should stick to 3.6.13)