I know this has little to do with the reason most of us are here, but:

What is the board consensus on Energy Marketers like Direct Energy and a few others. I was ambushed at the door by a salesman who succeeded in getting a signature from me, supposedly to sigh that I had received the information package, but then I noticed that I had also agreed to purchase gas from these guys. (must read the fine print closer)

My question is: Are these guys worth it? I think it is much the same as fixed mortgage versus variable rate mortgage. These guys are slicing a little off the top to pay themselves or they wouldn't be in business. That comes from my pocket. If I can afford the fluctuations in gas prices over a year, I should, theoretically come out ahead.

Your thoughts?

I'm locked into a 5 year contract with direct Energy at a higher rate per cubic metre. However, I noticed the Enbridge was and has been selling gas supply at their cost. They make nothing. In hindsight if I had to redo, I would of stuck with Enbridge rather than the marketer!

DON'T SIGN IT and DON'T SHOW THEM YOUR BILL

Even if you show them your bill they immediately record your account number and sign you up (Many without a signature). Worst thing is the rate may be lower or locked in but the fine print may hide some monthly fee's and a period of 90 days to cancel.

My book keeper thought she was doing us a favor and showed the sales guy our bill one day when he showed up at the office (when I was not in)... He calculated a savings of a few thousand hundred a year and she fell for it... the guy signed us up (without my signature) and two months later we got a surprise! A 180.00 extra fee showed up on the bill. I immediately called the utility company and they said "Did you sign up with another reseller or show them your bill?" I said no and the utility company said I would need to contact them and gave me the contact information.

I demanded that they remove this from my bill and they said that they can not remove it, only the company listed can remove it (even though I pay these guys for the bill)? Yes .. fu@ked up eh!?

My book keeper then fessed up and admitted to showing the bill to the sales guy and I told her she had to deal with it. It took her about 10 calls over about 6 months, she was hung up on about 4 times after being on hold for long periods of time (all to annoy you and to make canceling even harder) they promised to cancel it a number of times during that period and never did ... and it was well over 800.00+ in extra charges. She never did get it canceled we just happen to be moving offices and was able to cancel the utility bill. I think the company way called ontario energy savings or something like that.

My tip if you signed up with any of these guys and are now locked in... cancel your utility bill and put it in your wife/best friend/parents/uncles/etc... name (someone with a different last name) and tell them you moved... it's next to impossible to get out of these things.

I personally would have never signed or even shown the guy the bill.

I had a visit last year from a salesman from a reseller utility. He gave the same BS lines & wanted to see the gas/electric bills. I showed them to him but I didn't sign as I said I wanted to evaluate it. I found that everyone I spoke with, that switched, wished they didn't. The reseller called continually to try to get me to switch. They even sent out rebate cheques which, had I cashed, would have constituted a contract. I finally told them to fuck off & leave me alone. I haven't heard from them since.

I haven't had my first bill yet, so they haven't seen it. As I look through the fine print. I haven't actually signed a contract yet, just an "application". They still have to provide me a contract which I must sign and then reaffirm by phone before the rate plan takes effect. Also, section 88.9 of OEB Act gives me an out as well.

I guess after all these years, one still gets the odd reminder to "READ THE FINE PRINT". Searching the net doesn't give me a good feeling about these guys either, Direct Energy seems to also have a higher proportion of complaints as well, but that could be because they are one of the larger companies.

Enbridge owns the lines. Thats where they make their money. They buy the gas at the same place the marketers buy the gas.

Enbridge passes the supply of gas charge off to the customer at cost. Sure the cost varies every few month's but it beats locking into a 5 year contract which is significantly higher than the going rate.

Another marketer to watch out for is a company the goes by the name of UNION. They recently tried to hustle me for not only natural gas supply by hydro as well. Apparently the guy made a trip all the way from Toronto to sign me up! lol