I don't know if anyone on the board is American or not but i just wanted to say,"Canadian money comes out of cash machines." lmao.....what were you expecting?...hahahah...sorry no offence menat...i just thought it was funny that someone from the states thought he was going to get american money out of the machine in Canada...lol

kisses,

Emma

It absolutely doesn't surprise me. I lived in Germany for 4 years in the earely 80s and althought Canadians enjoyed a grteat reputation, lets just say it wasn't the case for Americans. This mostly came from the fact that Americans kind of expected the Germans to adaptr to then instead of vice versa. An example of this is American would by things at a small local store, try to pay in American dollars and then expect the change to be in American dollars.

Another situation I ran acroos was in Hawaii. They hire young girls to give out tourist info on street corners. I met this girl from Colorado. She asked me where I was form I answered Halifax (I was there then). The good thing, she knew it was in Canada but that was about it. Then she goes on to say how much she would enjoy coming to Canada to see snow all year round. Yes Halifasx some winters there is barely any snow.

I am not prejudice and have nothing against the Americans but many don't seem to know there is an entirely different world outside the USA.

I don't know if anyone on the board is American or not but i just wanted to say,"Canadian money comes out of cash machines." lmao.....what were you expecting?...hahahah...sorry no offence menat...i just thought it was funny that someone from the states thought he was going to get american money out of the machine in Canada...lol

kisses,

Emma

Try spending Canadian money in the USA (except at a border town). I accidentally mixed in a Canuck quarter in my change in San Diego and just about lost an eye when the teller threw it back at me.

For any Americans who may be viewing this, it's very simple, Canada is another country with it's own currency and laws. You don't have to come here or stay here, but if you do, try sampling the culture and actually observe what and how we do things. It is really not so bad and you might learn a little something about yourself. I can honestly say I learned more about be a Canadian from travelling around the world than I ever learned while at home.

Lately the heat from my computer has been melting a hole in the side of my igloo...anyone else have this problem?

Living in North Carolina for a couple of years make me truly appreciate our unique Canadian nature...even Screech:), so I came home!

Guest badguyS

I lived in US for 2 years and people are not very nice there. I found them to be quite rude with strangers. For sure they don't welcome the people from any other countries. I heard they are not very appreciated in other countries for their attitude as well. I even heard of a story of vandalist in a hotel in Italy. They tried to make them believe they were Canadian to put the shame on us.

For any Americans who may be viewing this, it's very simple, Canada is another country with it's own currency and laws. You don't have to come here or stay here, but if you do, try sampling the culture...

I must say there are exceptions. I know a few FS stip bars in Quebec South East of Montreal. All between 10 minutes to an hour from the US borders. I can tell you there are many americans showing up to sample the Canadian culture at those clubs. THey are usually big spenders.

i'm not saying anything bad about the Americans...i mean i have alot of American clients that i adore. I have a regular clientele in NYC. I'm just saying that its funny how some think the world revolves around them..lol. I tell my clients in nyc the same thing...they just laugh and agree with me. They still make fun of my saying aboat instead of their about . That said i do love my American clients and some actually know where Canada is...lol, maybe not Nova Scotia but Canada yes.

kisses,

Emma Alexandra

It must be tough being an American growing up. You have to learn over 50 States and Capitals (we only have to learn less than a dozen...I'm not even sure how many we have to be honest!). They have to count their money carefully, always showing it so there are no mistakes whereas we just glance at the colours and know what we're holding. The beer sucks. Y'all catch my drift?

i'm not saying anything bad about the Americans...i mean i have alot of American clients that i adore. I have a regular clientele in NYC. I'm just saying that its funny how some think the world revolves around them..lol. I tell my clients in nyc the same thing...they just laugh and agree with me. They still make fun of my saying aboat instead of their about . That said i do love my American clients and some actually know where Canada is...lol, maybe not Nova Scotia but Canada yes.

kisses,

Emma Alexandra

It is very true, the americans do think the world does revolve around them. Because of this attitude they are not well liked in Europe. I onced sat at a bar with a friend in Brussels. After a while we noticed the server was purpously avoiding us. When we finally kind of grabbed him we asked why he would not serve us. He said well you are americans. We said no we are canadians. He then says well that is the same. So we told him then you are the same as frenchmen. Belginas and France people hate each other. He got our poinrt and we got good service after.

That is one of many things I witness about the americans in Europe.

I have never seen so much generalizing as in this thread. In most of the posts we can add "just like here." People are the same all over the world. I have lived in the States, every province and many other places in the world and no matter where I stayed I found that 99.9 percent of the people are great. Canada has ignorant individuals also but they are rare.

Wonderful crowd everywhere as seen here in CERB.

leyley

It's true that it is very hard to generalize for a population exceeding 300millions individuals but I believe that yes, Americans tend to be a little bit self-centered.

But I can understand why: the USA is the most powerful country in the world and who wouldn't want to live the American Dream (I never heard of a Canadian Dream!?!)

One thought that comes through my mind to support this theory (nothing scientific here, we're just talking) is through Jeopardy.

Whenever there is a category related to canadian culture or canadian geography, just look at how many answers they provide correctly; that's right, they virtually never get a good answer.

For many, many Americans, Canada is just a country north of theirs but they only know the name.

I was in Chicago once and when I told the barman that I was from Canada, he said: 'isn't that the country where 90% of the population lives within 60miles of the States?'

I was impressed because I never saw it that way.