Problems restoring sound in WinXP

So, the disk on one of my PCs decided to self destruct. Bummer - total loss of everything. Got a new disk, installed the O/S (WinXP) only to discover there is no sound. The Motherboard has an on-board sound processor, so I don't have any CD or other software or separate sound card.

In the Sound Tab I am unable to change the Volume. It's grayed out. Also, there is no speaker icon displayed on the tray (lower right side).

Tried updating the audio drivers & they're already up to date.

Has anyone experienced this or know how to resolve?

Guest S*rca****sid

Did you check to see if the on-board sound was physically enabled? There is a tiny pin that needs to be set.

Have you set the default settings on XP for the on-board sound?

Check the "device manager" and make sure nothing is expanded. You should see a list of all the hardware categorized but none of the TREE'S should be open. If the tree is open the device that is not functioning right will be displayed.

It should look like this.

device_manager.gif

and not this...

devmgr.png

• Like 1

9 times out of 10 this is the issues!

Step 1 of tech support "check your physical connections"

Step 2 Make sure there are no conflicts on device manager

Step 3 un-install and re-install drivers (even though drivers are up to date does not mean there is not a corrupt file)

Check the "device manager" and make sure nothing is expanded. You should see a list of all the hardware categorized but none of the TREE'S should be open. If the tree is open the device that is not functioning right will be displayed.

device_manager.gif

and not this...

devmgr.png

Guest S*rca****sid
9 times out of 10 this is the issues!

Step 1 of tech support "check your physical connections"

Step 2 Make sure there are no conflicts on device manager

Step 3 un-install and re-install drivers (even though drivers are up to date does not mean there is not a corrupt file)

You left out step 4...

Step 4 Switch from Windows....

Step 5 is kick it! PC's like to be kicked.

You know... I am the first person to tell someone to try linux or mac but if you could all see my desk and the computer I use the most you would all call me a hypocrite.

My office has a PC laptop, A quad core PC with two monitors (My main computer) that runs linux and windows7 (but I admit I am in windows7 most of the time for Photoshop as it does not run well in wine running linux)

I recently bought a 27inch imac with a quad core that I am SLOWLY moving my work to... (So far I use it for warcraft as I don't have a licensed copy of photoshop for it yet but man does it play warcraft well) it's running parallels with windows7 in coherence mode so I may just keep my photoshop license as a PC license and migrate it over to the new MAC.

Just for interest sake ... .on the floor unplugged is a MAC PRO G5 Dual, a MAC G4 Cube along and two Linux based Raq servers too! LOL... It's like a computer nightmare here!

What I am trying to say is... most people need windows for something and as much as society likes the idea of being windows free... for many it's not really a reality.

Mac's cost WAY more and most of us with a MAC are either dual booting it now with windows or using some sort of virtal/vm ware to run windows like I am running.

but.. if you are not trapped in the windows world and can afford a mac it is by far a HUGE improvement. My quad core Duo HP system running Windows7 64bit with 8 gigs of ram is fast... but... the windows I have running in a virtual box on the imac quad (that only has 4 gigs of ram at this time) is FASTER then the stand alone one on the PC too!! Seriously!!!

Mac's rule.

device_manager.gif

and not this...

devmgr.png

Unfortunately, the device manager shows the big ugly question marks (as shown in the 2nd pic.)

So I uninstalled the unknown devices, rebooted the PC. Got a message that new hardware was detected and was then prompted to install the drivers. Then got an error message saying that no drivers were detected. Opened the device manager again & those $#*king yellow question marks were there again!

WTF??

Guest S*rca****sid

Find out the make and model of the motherboard, go to the manufacturer website and download the drivers for the motherboard.

exactly! That is the normal protocol!

Find out the make and model of the motherboard, go to the manufacturer website and download the drivers for the motherboard.

Guest S*rca****sid
exactly! That is the normal protocol!

If you can't find the drivers, sometimes the manufacturer will stop supporting their components because they are older, you can probably install a separate soundcard on the motherboard. If you choose that option, make sure you physically disable the on-board sound.

Unfortunately, the device manager shows the big ugly question marks (as shown in the 2nd pic.)

So I uninstalled the unknown devices, rebooted the PC. Got a message that new hardware was detected and was then prompted to install the drivers. Then got an error message saying that no drivers were detected. Opened the device manager again & those $#*king yellow question marks were there again!

WTF??

Sarcasticsid gave you the EXACT correct next step. If you have a brand name computer this step is MUCH easier. (Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM, ACER, etc..) your system will have a Model number on it (Just go to that companies website and they will have a driver download area)

If you have a homebuilt/non-brand name PC then it's a little more difficult. You do need to open up the computer and look on the main motherboard for the model and make. They are all written somewhere and they pretty much all look similar to this.

motherboard1.jpg

Then once you have this simply go to google (if you don't know the website address of the MB manufacturer already and type "abit an9 32x" (Replace with your make and model) and you should find links to your drivers.

If you don't know what make and model of your MotherBoard is you can always use this utiltiy to show you what it is without having to open the case and try to find the model of the motherboard

SIW - System Information for Windows

http://www.gtopala.com/