Why some men cheat ? genetic link to relationship difficulties

What do you think about this?

Why some men cheat ? genetic link to relationship difficulties

http://www.gizmag.com/why-some-men-cheat--genetic-link-to-relationship-difficulties/9932/

September 4, 2008 Comedian Robin Williams once defined the key issue of fidelity as being that men had a brain and a penis and only enough blood to run one at a time. We all know some guys are faithful, and some are not, but until now, it all appeared random behaviour. Now new research suggests that men who carry a certain gene behave differently in relationship. The incidence of the gene has been statistically linked to the incidence of a marital or relational crisis in the past year ,how strongly the man felt he had bonded with his partner, and what their respective partners thought about their relationship. One wonders if perhaps one day we?ll see genetic screening for prospective partners?

Scientists at Karolinska Institutett.gif have found a link between a specific gene and the way men bond to their partners. The results, which are presented in the scientific journal PNASt.gif, can lead to a better understanding of such problems as autism and social phobia.

"There are, of course, many reasons why a person might have relationship problems, but this is the first time that a specific gene variant has been associated with how men bond to their partners," says Hasse Walum, postgraduate student at the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics.

He stresses, however, that the effect of this genetic variation is relatively modest, and it cannot be used to predict with any real accuracy how someone will behave in a future relationship.

Hasse Walum and his colleagues made use of data from The Twin and Offspring Studyt.gif in Sweden , which includes over 550 twins and their partners or spouses. The gene under study codes for one of the receptors for vasopressin, a hormone found in the brains of most mammals. The team found that men who carry one or two copies of a variant of the gene allele 334 often behave differently in relationships than men who lack this gene variant.

The incidence of allele 334 was statistically linked to how strong a bond a man felt he had with his partner. Men who had two copies of allele 334 were also twice as likely to have had a marital or relational crisis in the past year than those who lacked the gene variant. There was also a correlation between the men?s gene variant and what their respective partners thought about their relationship.

"Women married to men who carry one or two copies of allele 334 were, on average, less satisfied with their relationship than women married to men who didn t carry this allele", says Hasse Walum.

The same gene has been previously studied in voles, where it has been linked to monogamous behaviour in males.

"The fact that the corresponding gene has proved important for similar behaviour in voles makes our findings even more interesting, and suggests that the thoroughly studied brain mechanisms that we know give rise to strong bonds between individual voles can also be relevant to humans", Hasse Walum concludes.

The team hopes that greater knowledge of the effect of vasopressin on human relations will one day give science a better understanding of the causes of diseases characterised by problems with social interaction, such as autism.

It's an interesting angle, no doubt there. But I've long felt that the biological/biochemical angle only scratches the surface of a much wider range of reasons why partners cheat on their spouses.

For many, it comes as a result of a sexual imbalance in a relationship in which one partner's libido diminishes while the others doesn't....or worse...that partner's libido grows. Faced with that kind of situation, it's only natural and logical that a lot of people make the decision to do some step pin' out. But let's be clear...it's a choice. That's a distinction I make from something being supposedly genetic in which case you're compelled less by reason than by instincts or gut urges.

I'm not too sure about genetics, but given that just as many marriages fail as do succeed, there has to be something going on beyond just choices and genetics. Personally, I don't think humans are supposed to be monogamous. Let's look at other mammals in the animal kingdom, none of them are monogamous. And if you are going to tell me, but what about the emperor penguins? Emperor penguins, I'm quite sure, aren't lying in bed with one spouse going, "hey honey, let's fuck" and the other replies, "no, I have a headache." What happens then? Does the penguin go off to the local Antarctic bar to complain to the other penguins that his wife won't put out?

I say it's time for a sexual revolution. It's about emotional commitment, not sexual.

So a bunch of guys (or galls but probably not) with analytical brains trying to justify there positions at hoity toity institutions full of copious amount of BS's and faulted linear thinking. Just my opinion, thank fully these losers are stuck in a viciuos circle of pat each other backs so it is imortant that they back each others reaserch grants no matter how obviously stupid and flawed, and keep a cloak of deception and mystery so that the money keeps coming in (the emporer has not clothes!!!). And once in a while, a great long while, some usefull research is actualy acommplished usually by a junior who has not had the time to become corupted and of course the senior takes credit for the work. Who me a skeptic ;).

K cary on then.

Guest f***2f***

nice rant dummpy you go man!!! ha ha

Personal opinion is very like muff rancher's, that it's about libido matching. that is my experience in a marriage relationship.

In the early days my young, blond, ass-to-die-for bride was all over me.....we were on a canoe trip one day on our honeymoon and she had to pull over to the bank push me down on the ground and without further ado (pulled her bikini gusset aside) sank down on my throbbing member and fucked my brains out. Over the years she stopped initiating sex, let her body go and if I get a matrimonial fuck once a month now I'm a lucky man!

I'm not saying it's all her fault but most of us horny toads need more than that...I tried the old faithful trick for a hell of alot of years and in the past few have had to get out there and get the job done. It's not a gene!! I'm fucking horny!! That's normal!!

Brother... Igotaboner...you are correct its not in my gene's, IT IS IN my jeans or pant suit and boxer briefs..it just wants some play time. ;)

I'm f****** horny just like the next man creeping into their late 40's...it is normal now a days :)

Edited by PistolPete
I'm really trying to stop the f-bombs,Capitalman, should win the award

So a bunch of guys (or galls but probably not) with analytical brains trying to justify there positions at hoity toity institutions full of copious amount of BS's and faulted linear thinking. Just my opinion, thank fully these losers are stuck in a viciuos circle of pat each other backs so it is imortant that they back each others reaserch grants no matter how obviously stupid and flawed, and keep a cloak of deception and mystery so that the money keeps coming in (the emporer has not clothes!!!). And once in a while, a great long while, some usefull research is actualy acommplished usually by a junior who has not had the time to become corupted and of course the senior takes credit for the work. Who me a skeptic ;).

K cary on then.

There's a big fat "Centre of Excellence" grant here - any co-investigators want to join me on submitting a proposal?

I'm not sure if is all just sexual....i think perhaps that men need some TLC as well. they need to feel wanted and appreciated.

kisses,

Emma A

Absolutely correct! You're wise.

Ya that's what I said :grin: Just in a long winded round about and cynical way! They won't let me have the money I have not donated enough time and money to the club yet!! Now you UT have an opportunity my friend and I am jealous!!

There's a big fat "Centre of Excellence" grant here - any co-investigators want to join me on submitting a proposal?

This is a bit of a rant, more conceptual than anything. It might sound lofty to some and a little too intellectual for our forum, but having spent the morning on the phone with my sister who is facing a divorce from a man who closely resembles many men I know, I needed to just get this out there because she just didn't get it.

I realize that everyone likes to put things into little boxes...this is this and that is that. It's bullshit, plain and simple. We are all here having this life experience to learn, to grow and to evolve. Interactions with other human beings are an integral part of our evolution as people. Our society drills the idea of monagamy into us from an early age and whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant. We percieve our ability to have a successful relationship with a S.O. to be measured against what society is dictating to us.

Why? When a relationship ends it is viewed as a failure when in reality it has run its course and it is time for change, because with change comes growth. This entire existence is dependent on change, the growth and destruction is inevitable. Nothing remains the same, and we should not be expected to behave in ways that contradict our evolution. We seek what we need instinctively, for some it simply a change in the routine of intimacies at home, for others its a connection that validates their being. As long as the doctrine of right and wrong in relationships is adhered to, we will live with a self imposed struggle. Acceptance of who we are unconditionally is the only way to allow our growth to continue.

Why do men cheat....Why do we call it cheating? Why did ownership and control become an accepted part of marriage? How can we possibly believe we have the right to dicate anothers behavior? How do we know what someone needs to do to become who they're destined to become? And why do we take it so personally when someone interacts with another instead of us? It's unnecessary drama and just plain bullshit. Just my 2 cents...

Catherine

Edited by cat
more bad grammar!

Cat - I love it when you get hot and bothered. Could we get together and discuss my latest work on systems thinking, emergence, and limits of conceptual management. I promise I will let my nerd run wild all over your hypotheses.sighUT

Cheating related to Genes?

heh... i thought it was more about "Jeans" and how easily they come off. Get a tighter belt. :-D

no tlc or attention in a one sided relationship benefiting the other person... along with not being sexually compatable (sex drives of both partners not on the same page) seem to be the 2 biggest reasons why people cheat. That whole yakkity yak about genetic relevance seems to be a lot of b.s. IMO

Cheating related to Genes?

heh... i thought it was more about "Jeans" and how easily they come off. Get a tighter belt. :-D

no tlc or attention in a one sided relationship benefiting the other person... along with not being sexually compatable (sex drives of both partners not on the same page) seem to be the 2 biggest reasons why people cheat. That whole yakkity yak about genetic relevance seems to be a lot of b.s. IMO

yeah but yakkity yak is a great way to research grants and how else can you get all those hot assistants into the lab - nerds need love too

yeah but yakkity yak is a great way to research grants and how else can you get all those hot assistants into the lab - nerds need love too

Darling ulixestrojan,

As any provider on here and I am sure she will back me up when I say...

"WE LOVE NERDS!"

Catherine

we sure do....the nerdier the better....it's very titillating!

kisses,

Emma

Darling ulixestrojan,

As any provider on here and I am sure she will back me up when I say...

"WE LOVE NERDS!"

Catherine