Sign in to follow this  

New Scam?

Hi everyone. Happy Friday!

Okay, so it's now the second time I've heard this today. Someone in Ottawa is calling around to people telling them their computer is infected with a virus and offering their services to fix. Not sure if it's a new scam, but it's the first I've heard of it. I also heard through a local ISP that they have received calls from their customers as well stating the same thing.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Satin

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid
Hi everyone. Happy Friday!

Okay, so it's now the second time I've heard this today. Someone in Ottawa is calling around to people telling them their computer is infected with a virus and offering their services to fix. Not sure if it's a new scam, but it's the first I've heard of it. I also heard through a local ISP that they have received calls from their customers as well stating the same thing.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Satin

It's a scam, similar to those malicious on-line virus scanners that will tell you you have a virus and to download their program to remove it. When in reality, the program is actually the virus/trojan.

Had the same call a couple of times. Last time I decided to play dumb and strung the idiot on for about five minutes asking him questions like:

Should I see a doctor?

Can I get an antibiotic for my computer?

He finally got tired and hung up on me. How rude!! Hopefully he took me off his call back list.

Guest S*rca****sid
Had the same call a couple of times. Last time I decided to play dumb and strung the idiot on for about five minutes asking him questions like:

Should I see a doctor?

Can I get an antibiotic for my computer?

He finally got tired and hung up on me. How rude!! Hopefully he took me off his call back list.

Do you know what the phone number was? It might be useful to post it so that others will know to avoid it.

I don't have call display so I didn't get the number. Also, while in "dumb" mode I didn't think to *69 to find out the number (that and I'm too cheap to spend the money to find the number, must be the Scotsman in me :icon_smile:).