Your iPhone is tracking you...

It's best to explore the Settings and disable the location tracking in some of the apps. It is a hassle, but they make it our responsibility to turn certain features off.

An excellent article and the steps to view the data is wonderful. I question however if shutting location services off completely will actually stop the phone from logging the data or if that will just prevents apps from using the gathered data?

That being said, just using the device with any social media, mapping or GPS/Geocaching app with out location services being enabled is useless.

None-the-less an interesting read...

I hate to burst your bubble, but all the mobile phone service providers do this too.

Oh, yes. I'm well aware of this - have a look at this, for example, in which a German politician's movements were tracked over several months (although I believe it took some legal action to get Deutsche Telekom to release the data).

What makes it worse with the iPhone is that it's being sync'd to other devices too - and the more different places information end up in, the harder it is to stop it falling into the wrong hands...

Additional Comments:

I question however if shutting location services off completely will actually stop the phone from logging the data or if that will just prevents apps from using the gathered data?

I think it'd just stop the apps getting it. Which may or may not be a problem, depending on which apps you use and what you use them for.

Your phone is *always* in contact with the service provider's transmitters, and triangulating between these means they can usually determine your location, although the margin of error may vary from a few miles to quite a lot less. The only way you can prevent this is to turn the phone off entirely. And as Sarcasticsid said, this applies to all phones.

Guest S*rca****sid
Oh, yes. I'm well aware of this - have a look at this, for example, in which a German politician's movements were tracked over several months (although I believe it took some legal action to get Deutsche Telekom to release the data).

What makes it worse with the iPhone is that it's being sync'd to other devices too - and the more different places information end up in, the harder it is to stop it falling into the wrong hands...

Additional Comments:

I think it'd just stop the apps getting it. Which may or may not be a problem, depending on which apps you use and what you use them for.

Your phone is *always* in contact with the service provider's transmitters, and triangulating between these means they can usually determine your location, although the margin of error may vary from a few miles to quite a lot less. The only way you can prevent this is to turn the phone off entirely. And as Sarcasticsid said, this applies to all phones.

I'm well aware of that article... It's all about the balance between convenience and privacy. These apps look for such info so that the person who has it will know where the closest store, coffee shop, bank...etc. And one has to think why these apps are free or relatively cheap? It's because advertisers are interested in such info so that they can get stats on the consumers such as... Where are you located? Where do you like to shop? How much you spend? How far do you drive to specific places? What brand are you loyal to? The list goes on...and on... Remember the movie the Minority Report? In the movie, everywhere there were sensors reading people as they went by and would individualize the advertising towards them.

Don't you just love technology?

It's because advertisers are interested in such info so that they can get stats on the consumers such as... Where are you located? Where do you like to shop? How much you spend? How far do you drive to specific places? What brand are you loyal to?

Absolutely. And this is why I'm somewhat of a paranoid Luddite on these things... I really don't trust large corporations further than I can spit, and I don't want them to know where I am, or what I'm doing, or how I'm spending my money. And so I don't have a smartphone with funky apps, and I think twice about what I post on Facebook, and I don't use my credit card for absolutely everything.

Don't you just love technology?

Yes... but it scares the crap out of me at times.

Guest S*rca****sid
Absolutely. And this is why I'm somewhat of a paranoid Luddite on these things... I really don't trust large corporations further than I can spit, and I don't want them to know where I am, or what I'm doing, or how I'm spending my money. And so I don't have a smartphone with funky apps, and I think twice about what I post on Facebook, and I don't use my credit card for absolutely everything.

Yes... but it scares the crap out of me at times.

Here is something for you to ask for next christmas...

http://www.faraday-bags.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5&lang=en

And go to along with that, check out this article...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

Actually I understand that the tin foil crown prefers a certain product that my company sells as an important insulator accessory. however, I dont think that's a big enough market to go after (smile).

Guest S*rca****sid

I posted a link in the Apple social group for those who want an app for their phone that will stop it from tracking them.

Guest S*rca****sid

iOS 4.3.3 Update is out, it will address the tracking issue for those who have an iPhone.

Additional Comments:

iOS 4.3.3 is jailbroken, check out the details in the Apple social group.

Join today!