Microsoft counts down to XP death

...or wait 3 years and see what's around at that point!

The real joke in that article is that the desktop gadget they suggest using to monitor the countdown to the end of XP support only runs on Win 7 and Vista... Now that's typical Micro$oft. :)

Guest S*rca****sid
...or wait 3 years and see what's around at that point!

The real joke in that article is that the desktop gadget they suggest using to monitor the countdown to the end of XP support only runs on Win 7 and Vista... Now that's typical Micro$oft. :)

Windows 8 is rumored to be released next year.

Guest jake_cdn

Ahh Bill Gates ... the greatest spin doctor the world has ever known. This is almost as good as the Year 2000 Millennium scare. Upgrade now or else ! LOL

I've hated windows 7 sice day one. I keep procrastinating about the inevitable - the switch to linux. windows 7 is a joke of an operating system.

Guest S*rca****sid
I've hated windows 7 sice day one. I keep procrastinating about the inevitable - the switch to linux. windows 7 is a joke of an operating system.

I would say to give Linux a try, you can run it from the cd without installing it to your Harddrive.

I think that mainstream OS (Including Linux) as a desktop OS is on the way out. The future is the web based and app based OS's. Like AppleOS (Ipad) and GoogleOS (Android+) with all the great apps being made and the speed and power increasing so quickly... it's just a matter of time.

If you all REALLY want to see the FUTURE... This is it and it will BLOW Your mind!!

(Watch the entire thing as it gets REALLY interesting 1/2 way in and the END when he gestures to move things in the PIE chart and from a piece of paper right into the computer by a hand gesture... it's amazing!

Best TED video so far in my books and this is ALL open Source (FREE) and it really shows where the world is going in regards to OS's and windows is in BIG trouble!

Windows launched the smart phone recently with NO CUT AND PASTE!!!! (WTF?) windows is all about cut and paste and working in WINDOWS... Who knows what they are thinking but they are WAY off course and google is going to rule the world.

This is too bad, I have a great workhorse XP desktop system that I push hard with applications and constantly pushing it for more, 8 years this system has served me well where my vista and Windows 7 systems have failed me. With my Ipad purchase last year I began to see the wonders of the MAC world and continue to with the recent investment in a macbook pro, and an Imac is likely in the near future as well. I remember being resistant to XP when it was first introduced, I mean how could it be better than Win 2000 ? :) now I shed a tear to what turned out to be a solid performer that saved my butt on more than one occasion!

+1 on Mod's comments about the death of the 'fat client'. The latest Gartner numbers I read said that by 2013 almost 25% of all end-user devices would be tablet-based (would not have a keyboard). Don't quote me on the numbers because I'm trying to find the Gartner report as I type this and I can't. The back-end will be running on an enterprise-grade Linux and the front-end will be all web-based.

For my part, I have a Linux laptop and just bought a BlackBerry PlayBook. The laptop will stay in the briofcase more and more and the PlayBook will be my 'go-to' device. Almost every back-end system I connect to (Amazon, Salesforce, Google) is web-based and running Linux. Heck, even CERB is running on Linux!! Note that there's no Windows anywhere in that equation.

Edited by P. Sherman
Correcting a couple of typo's

I think that mainstream OS (Including Linux) as a desktop OS is on the way out. The future is the web based and app based OS's.

I think more people should try using Google apps even as a self-experiment to show the power of web-based computing today.

I steer everyone i know in that direction and as long as they are comfortable with using Google for their document creations, why not ? its accessible everywhere, shareable, you can collaborate with others, etc ...

There will be a need for a pure Desktop OS ( or extended cloud OS ) for at least the next 6-10 years. There are things that people do that just cannot be accomplished not because the computing platform isnt fast enough, but because of the bandwidth requirements.

My fear lately is the profit taking by the people in control of the infrastructure is soaring to new heights and they are potentially stalling the ability of companies to sell serious cloud-based high performance web apps.

Most iOS/Android devices are truly used as 'Media Consumption' devices - there is absolutely no way i could accomplish my job on an iPad or playbook. Perfect for media consumption and interaction though - absolutely perfect

I know, not metal, and possibly locked, but I cant seem to find a damn link. If anyone would be so kind as to upload this magnificent piece of music somewhere, I shall be eternally grateful to them. :3

Cloud computing is very tempting. The speed alone is wonderful. I do a lot in the cloud, now, but I'm wary of it, too. Privacy issues abound and I don't trust "them" to keep my documents and personal info as safe as I think it should be.

Cloud computing is very tempting. The speed alone is wonderful. I do a lot in the cloud, now, but I'm wary of it, too. Privacy issues abound and I don't trust "them" to keep my documents and personal info as safe as I think it should be.

Absolutely. I won't use it at all, and I probably have a lot less to lose than you. Call me paranoid, but I simply don't trust large corporations at all; how many won't either lose your data, or accidentally allow access to it by someone else, or mine it for their own purposes?

Guest S*rca****sid
Absolutely. I won't use it at all, and I probably have a lot less to lose than you. Call me paranoid, but I simply don't trust large corporations at all; how many won't either lose your data, or accidentally allow access to it by someone else, or mine it for their own purposes?

If this is the future trend, makes me wonder what happens if you find yourself without access to the internet?

Not too big of a deal seeing as how it is simply going to be a discontinuation of service, it is not like the OS is going to become unusable, it simply will not get updated, something I have never done with XP as SP 2 & 3 tend to cause difficulties with many users and I have elected to not be one of them.

Not too big of a deal seeing as how it is simply going to be a discontinuation of service, it is not like the OS is going to become unusable, it simply will not get updated, something I have never done with XP as SP 2 & 3 tend to cause difficulties with many users and I have elected to not be one of them.

You are right, the Windows XP machines will continue happily humming along long after Microsoft stops supporting the OS.

I've had dozens of XP machines under my thumb all with the latest service packs and updates, with nary a problem - something else may be a foot with those user's you've heard of.

The service packs and updates (with very rare and quickly fixed glitches aside), are intended to make things more secure and stable, not less and should always be installed.

Upgrading from XP isn't really a question of if, but rather when - it could be tomorrow or years from now, but they will be upgraded at some point.

If you are planning on upgrading, Windows 7 is a very stable trouble free platform.

Guest S*rca****sid

The problem we're starting to see, is third party manufacturers will stop developing XP drivers for their products. Take that into consideration the next time you upgrade your smartphone.