Two Supreme Court Justices Retiring Early

Guest W***ledi*Time

When the Conservatives were recently voted into a majority government this is exactly what I feared most. I find no matter who is in power for the middle class taxes remain relatively the same give or take a couple hundred dollars. But when it comes to certain freedoms and the law there can be a world of difference and there most likely will be one for those whose livelihood is sex work.

Everything done by Stephen Harper is very calculated. We need to wait and see the results since in all circumstances one must 'consider the source'.

As an example (and I'm not an NDP voter): Jack Layton would never have imagined referring to: 'The Layton Opposition' whereas the the Canadian Government has now been renamed 'The Harper Government'.

I long for the days of the Canadian Government.:exagerefesses:

J

WIT's post above worries me.

I have no confidence in our Conservative majority (whom most Canadians did not vote for!) to make any decisions in the best interests of Canada.

As an addendum to my post above: We can all rest assured (despite its' unlikelyhood!) that Jack Layton would have ever referred to his party, being in power, as the 'Layton Government'

Thank you WIT for providing the articles you've posted.

J

While I have no desire to emulate our Southern cousins, I would have liked a little more discussion/public awareness of the HUGE importance of a balanced SCC.

A young appointee could have 20 years or so there influencing day to day life more than a lot of people realise.

CB

I agree with you, CB. At the same time, it's interesting to note when judges who are assumed to be of some political bent or other don't make the judgments we might expect.

There was a feature in G&M recently on these appointments. It suggested the appointees did abandon partisan views after assuming the Bench. Maybe I underestimate them after all?

CB

It's hard to say, CB. Chief Justice Beverly McLachlin was considered to be a conservative when she was appointed, but she hasn't always functioned that way. For example, she's the author of the Moge decision that had a major impact on the way that spousal support is evaluated and awarded. And then, last week, she was the author for the unanimous decision in favour of the Insite supervised injection site in Vancouver. McLachlin practiced law and was a judge in Vancouver before going to the SCC. Maybe that helped her understand the realities of addiction in the Downtown Eastside. Certainly the decision to keep Insite open isn't one that makes the Harper government happy!

Edited by SamanthaEvans
typos!

In the end only time will answer how they behave .

The media appears seized with the process now. I wouldn't want to see a Thomas-style circus, but the whole matter of the appointment of these two, while more open than before, does seem a little understated.

CB