Sign in to follow this  

Edmonton - Bawdy House Charges

Guest W***ledi*Time
The [I]Edmonton Journal[/I] reports, 3 June 2011:

[url]http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/women+charged+with+running+Edmonton+brothels/4890559/story.html[/url]

[INDENT]EDMONTON - Edmonton police have charged two women with selling sex out of an apartment near 97th Avenue and 106th Street.

Two more homes, one of them an apartment, are still under investigation.

The investigation started when a city bylaw officer contacted police in December, said Det. Steve Crosby. Officers monitored the home, then raided it, seizing $1,700 in cash and large amounts of â??paraphernalia related to the sex trade.â?

The two women, Magdalena Beresinska, 24, and Alexandra Martinez, 23, have both been charged with keeping a common bawdy house, living off the avails of prostitution and proceeds of crime.

Both are scheduled to appear in court July 14. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Crosby said if neighbours notice single men between 35 and 50 are often stopping by a home and staying for only 30 to 60 minutes, that house is likely being used as a bawdy house. With evidence, police can often shut it down.[/INDENT]

Ryan Ellis adds for [I]Global News[/I]:

[url]http://www.globaltoronto.com/women+charged+bawdy+house+investigation/4889902/story.html[/url]

[INDENT]"A lot of times people aren't even aware that these are in their communities," said Det. Steve Crosby of the Edmonton Police Service. "But when they find out there is, it is more of an ethical issue with having this in their community. They sure like they get them out."[/INDENT]