trouble installing xp update

Guest ***t***iv***

I have been trying to install this update for sometime now, but to no avail:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2481109)

All it says when I try is 'the following updates could not be installed:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2481109)

I 'looked around' online but my skills are limited to layman's terms and the Google search and so, I found nothing that I could use to help me.

If anyone who is 'tech savvy' can help me figure out how to successfully install this update and translate into layman's for me, I would really appreciate the assistance.

thank you in advance, this site is great and this corner was an excellent :icon_idea:

Guest S*rca****sid

The Microsoft website says that you require service pack 3 installed prior to installing that update. Have you checked to see if you have service pack 3?

Guest ***t***iv***

I am trying that now. DLing it, that is. I already looked and doesn't seem like I have it. Thank you, I think it's going to work.

Additional Comments:

So, I tried but couldn't download service pack 3, I already have it installed. :oops:

Anyone know what other problem I could be having with installing a security update?

Guest S*rca****sid

Did you run your anti-virus program? Sometimes if there is a virus or some other malicious software installed, it won't let you install security updates.

Additional Comments:

Also, you may want to think about upgrading your Operating Software, microsoft will stop supporting XP soon. There are many great alternatives to windows, especially for older computers/laptops.

Guest ***t***iv***

I have anti virus scans automatically run themselves, haven't got any virus'.

I manually scanned it. Could be your right, maybe my systems age is the issue. I was trying to avoid dragging my friend over to fix this, but it's probably important to get the security updates from windows.

That's really too bad about XP though, primarily since I am completely clueless about any other OS. Any idea how long I have left with my old PC?

**I see you are an advocate for mac products. As much as I want to argue for windows, (love a good argument and I love windows) I have to admit I'm dying for a sleek new notebook. Plus they sure know how to make those apples look delicious, don't they? :p ;-)

WinXP is no longer supported by Microsoft for non-commercial customers.

For commercial customers WinXP support will be halted in 2014.

You could put Linux (Ubuntu) on your old PC and stretch out its live. Unless you are a big Excel/Word user Linux has all the necessary applications for your day to day. Plus its free.

I have an iMac (personal) and a MacBook (work) and enjoy both. You can get a decent new MacBook for under 1200$. For students back-to-school sales are around the corner and past years had included an iPod Touch with a MacBook purchase. You can run the latest Win 7 on the Mac either using Bootcamp or in a virtual machine, VirtualBox.

Guest S*rca****sid
WinXP is no longer supported by Microsoft for non-commercial customers.

For commercial customers WinXP support will be halted in 2014.

You could put Linux (Ubuntu) on your old PC and stretch out its live. Unless you are a big Excel/Word user Linux has all the necessary applications for your day to day. Plus its free.

I have an iMac (personal) and a MacBook (work) and enjoy both. You can get a decent new MacBook for under 1200$. For students back-to-school sales are around the corner and past years had included an iPod Touch with a MacBook purchase. You can run the latest Win 7 on the Mac either using Bootcamp or in a virtual machine, VirtualBox.

I second that. Give Linux a try, you might be surprised at how fast your laptop is and how easy it is to use. If you have the money, go for a Mac. Like etasman said, you can get student discounts if you are still in school. In fact, most schools have a small computer store that will probably sell them.

How old is your laptop? What kind is it?

Guest ***t***iv***

Both my laptop and my PC are pretty old. I don't know exactly how old but I only really use my PC and I got it in '07 custom made, so theres no one 'make'. like Sony or w.e.

I do loooove the way those macbooks look, very sleek and sexy. Plan on getting myself one when I can. In the meantime tho, can't I just update my version of Windows or something?

I would suggest running the Upgrade Advisor to determine if your laptop & PC can handle Win 7.

Another consideration is a new Win 7 cost 250$ (likely unable to upgrade from WinXP). I'm willing to bet you would need to upgrade your RAM at minimum to run Win 7. Add to the cost and you are looking at likely 300$ extra just to run on old hardware which could go towards the new MacBook.

Both my laptop and my PC are pretty old. I don't know exactly how old but I only really use my PC and I got it in '07 custom made, so theres no one 'make'. like Sony or w.e.

I do loooove the way those macbooks look, very sleek and sexy. Plan on getting myself one when I can. In the meantime tho, can't I just update my version of Windows or something?

Just yesterday I reinstalled windowsXP pro in a system that runs a old COM port controlled plotter. It installed and updated to SP3 online without a problem but I needed to install and run WGA Validation Tool (Windows genuine advantage) before the service packs and I had to update the bios on the old machine as well.

If your copy of windows is legit (Not a copy or pirated version) you should not have a problem but a lot of computers have XP running that are not legit.

1) Make sure you have the sticker on the machine (The windows hologram sticker)

2) Make sure it is running WGA validation

3) allow it to download fully without turning your laptop off

4) when you reboot it can take a LONG time to shut off as it is installing large updates. Don't force a shut down, make sure it's plugged in or a full battery and let it shut down and restart on it's own. If you interrupt it you can cause some BAD things to happen (Corrupt system files) and require a full reinstall.

Guest ***t***iv***

well, I'm technically illiterate.

I gather there is a way to update my windows XP I just didn't understand what I have to do.

I am confident my copy is legit. I had a friend install it for me but he had an extra copy so I don't really know. I don't even know how to check and find out. Something about properties, somewhere.. IDK lol

I had hoped there was a simple solution I could find with help on here but I guess not. :frown: I suppose I will have to try to get someone computer savvy to come take a look for me.

Thanks to all who replied!

Guest W***ledi*Time
... I don't even know how to check and find out. Something about properties, somewhere...

I'm a luddite, but I think it's:

control panel

system properties

general

Guest k**tyl****r

I've had the same error msg in the past. I would suggest ignore it till you're ready to get a new computer. To go to Win7 from XP, it's best to go to Vista first, otherwise you have to back up your data, restore all programs after, assuming you have the application s/w still ;( Yep, a royal pain in the ass!

Guest ***t***iv***

Ahhh, Kitty... finally someone who understands my tech-simple mind! lol

:bowdown:

That is exactly what I shall do... Vista it up until I get a new comp!

Hooray!

There are several microsoft threads concerning this update failing to install. The most common solution is to install the latest version of 'remote desktop' http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084 . the 1109 security update is for RDP 6 and if you load RDP 7 it will stop bugging you to install this hotfix.

Ive had to resolve several 'Failed to update' issues at my job with respect to XP SP3 updates.