Annoying IE9 PopUp

I'm using Firefox4.0 as my browser because it's not a space hog & it doesn't set up complex tracking index files as does IE.

So, here's my problem - my OS detects that I'm not using IE and I keep getting a download IE9 window popping up every now and then. It ticks me off, because my OS considers it a critical update so it bogs my system down until it displays the download prompt.

I've tried enabling my pop-up blocker, but the bastards at MS bypass that. Is there any way to stop this F%$#ing IE9 download prompt?

This may help you. If you go into the 'Windows Update' section, you have the option for Important and Optional Updates. In the Important Updates, scrion, UNCHECK the IE 9 Update. Then, 'Right-Click' on the IE9 Update and select 'Hide Update'. This should remove it from the install list and from the reminder list. From this point on, you 'should' not be reminded further.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I agree with Phaedrus... Just download it and don't use it. I am SHOCKED how many people still use IE.

Stats for cerb say...

msie.pngMS Internet Explorer 46.9 %

firefox.pngFirefox 33.6 %

chrome.pngGoogle Chrome 8.3 %

safari.pngSafari 8.1 %

The 46.9 % of you who still use IE... You should really stop doing that! Switch to Firefox (Same with Safari users - Firefox is the better choice on the mac too. Was the first thing I downloaded on my new mac)

IE is the NUMBER ONE targeted browser by the hackers/malware/etc... and they find exploits all the time.

DON'T CLICK THE BIG BLUE 'e' (This thing msie.png switch to http://www.firefox.com it's free, is faster, has LESS issues on cerb then other browsers and it has a much nicer interface too)

Thanks all for the suggestions! I went with Bucken's solution. IE9 takes up about 49M & I didn't want to give MS the satisfaction of knowing another (Happy?) client downloaded their piece of crap browser (do I sound bitter?).

Rats!

Didn't work. :tresmauvaisehumeur:

I guess I'll have to download IE9.

Rats!