HOw does mobile wifi work?

I am a little confused about someting...

I am planning on bringing my IPAD2 with me to China. While there I would liek to use it

kep in touch famil etc via email. My IPAD 2 is 3G and wifi although raoming charges make using my telsu 3G account rather expensive.

I know most hotels have some sort of intrernet ( free or not ) and even wifi. I am thinkng more of like using it on a train or in remote areas.

While researching this I cam e accross something called mobile wifio or mifi.

an explanantion here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

it would use my HTC Desire as a modem.

Is this going to show up on my cell phone bill?

It seems to me that the MiFi would not help one bit, as the HTC Desire (and many other Android devices) will have to transmit something (as a modem or as a wifi), so where would be the gain?

The only cheap solution, it seems, is if the trip is long enough, then you could insert a card bought locally into your HTC and use it as your ipad wifi router.

I'll be curious to see what knowledgeable members will answer, as I share a similar setup (ipad 3G+htc desire) and would surely love to get ipad connection for nothing...

Best,

PS: I don't believe in magic!

Guest S*rca****sid

Why use the HTC as a modem? If your iPad is 3G then you should be able to get a sim card from a local Chinese provider. You may have to jailbreak the iPad if it is locked to a Canadian provider. Even if you wanted to use your HTC as a modem, you would have to Route (jailbreak for Android phones) it in order to use a different provider's sim card.

Don't get discouraged about jailbreaking or routing a phone. It as easy as downloading a program and running it on your mobile device.

Good Advise from Sarcasticsid. You will be able to purchase a SIM card (Actually you need a Micro SIM) with a non contract data plan right in the airport i bet.

Why use the HTC as a modem? If your iPad is 3G then you should be able to get a sim card from a local Chinese provider. You may have to jailbreak the iPad if it is locked to a Canadian provider. Even if you wanted to use your HTC as a modem, you would have to Route (jailbreak for Android phones) it in order to use a different provider's sim card.

Don't get discouraged about jailbreaking or routing a phone. It as easy as downloading a program and running it on your mobile device.

Rooting is rarely required for Android phones to use with another carriers SIM card, just unlocking.

Depending on the carrier, threy may unlock your phone for free or for a small charge.

Some phones, like the Google Nexus, come unlocked right out of the box.