When little things mean so much

I've been spending a lot of time in the Adult Psychiatric ward in one of the Hospitals in Montreal. {No not as a patient but a a visitor.} Tonight i receive a call from one of the patients asking if i could bring her a balloon and an iced cap tomorrow when i visit. This made me smile as i know she doesn't receive many visitors and she's a sweet lady. She will most certainly get her balloon and iced cap tomorrow. I only wish i could do the same for everyone there.

What things make you smile?

kisses,

Emma

Edited by Emma Alexandra
  • Like 7

What things make you smile?

Stories like this :) It's always nice to do the simplest things for some people when it means the world to them.

• Like 1

With kids having everything from ipods to their own computers, etc. I like when my 9 year old niece who isn't exactly a small child (she wears size 12 girls clothes) asks nothing but to just sit on my lap and cuddle like when she was a toddler. Nothing better than that and priceless.

Edited by Mature Angela
clarify what I wanted to say....

Not close to the same level as your kindness Emma, but just happened this morning.

Girls soccer team doing a fund raiser knock on the door for a bottle drive. I say sure. Over a years worth of bottles, cans and milk containers in the garage. 4 girls converged on my garage and the parent driving the mini-van. Young girls screaming with excitement was so much fun. They said it was the most they'ld seen. And I'm sure I helped as they had been raising funds for travel to tournaments. After my place the van was full and they headed off to the bottle depot.

I work at a large hospital...and the little thing do count.....

-helping people get around when you see them a little confused....offer to help...don't wait to be asked

-a simple smile...or offer of a coffe or water....does so much....

Emma....I admire you....pay it forward...

Guest tr*****e

When I go to a cemetery to look at the stones, and I see someone's that tells how much they loved and were loved back - I leave with a warm heart when I see that.

I visit a friend at a nursing home and I always see someone who is there with their loved one even tho it's obvious the loved one has lost the mental capacity to recognize the family member. They sit and hold hands, laugh and interact. Watching the love thats there regardless of what happens...

cat

That is a very nice story Emma. As for what I enjoy seeing, is similar stories f when people who don't need to do something or go out of their way but choose to do so anyway. My family owns property out of province and has built a cottage, while building we met some people. Including an 80 year old man and we were the only people who could speak french to him so we'd stop by his place every time we visite dour cottage and listen to some of his stories. Well, he went into the hospital a few years ago and while away his house burnt straight to the ground. He had no insurance and lost everything. His house wanst big but he basically had no furniture, pictures, not even any unwear left.

When the property owner where he lived informed us of this we( my family) approached everybody we could. At the end of our efforts we had: a truck to hall materials, wood, concrete, wiring, plombing, electrical matrials & furniture all donated from various companies around the ottawa & surrounding areas. We even maneged to get clothing & food donations or vouchers from companies. We showed up on the site of his new house and 40 other people showed up to help us build the house, the house was done in 2 weeks with the help of 40 locals who helped us. The local newspaper asked to interview us and we declined.

The old man knew his house had burnt down while he was in the hospital therefore he was depressed to return to nothing. Once he came out of the hospital, we informed him that he had a "new house" and we found his only living relatives, rented a hall and had invited all of his friends to a dinner/dancing night. It was great fun.You don't do things in life for recognition but for what it does for the person your doing it for and because you want to. The newspaper was so struck by the "actions" they witnessed they decided to run the article anyways and said...what the most amazing part of this story is...is that these people chose to help somebody whom they had just barely met just because he was in need of...love! ....A year after we built that house for him....the old man died...but died knowing that people cared for him!

• Like 4

This happened about 4 years ago, it is about the boy with autism. It is a 5 minute video, but every minute is worth it. It's something special. It makes me smile every time I see it, it never gets old.

about two years ago i was at walmart at south keys [ ottawa ] , lady was pushing her cart outside went over the door hump , i was standing there waiting for my niece . her wide open purse , the wallet fell out as she went over the automated door hump . so i grabbed the purse and ran after her . she pushed her cart aside and ran towards two cops parked and chatting in the corner near dennys .

cops jumped out pulled their guns on me , and went through the regular routine , hands on head , lay face first on ground , feel you you up with not even a reach around . than they figure it out .

the lady is strill blaming me for running at her . granted i am a big guy , and once everything is settled , she was still blaming the cops and me . i have no idea who would of had to take the abuse if someone actually stole from her .

She got the balloon and iced coffee...although they didn't have any Get Well Soon balloons..she did get a laugh at the Bonne Fete one..lol... nice to see her laugh.:)

The thing that I do that makes me feel the very best in the world is volunteer at a local Single Parents Center. I give two Reiki treatmets a week and I am always the one walking away with a lesson or something valuable from each person.

Most of the ladies that use the center have few resourses and would most likey not receive the benifits of Reiki. Some come with no expectation, they just know there is a program there and they can use it . Many times they are expecting something totally different than what I am offering and its often a challenge just to explain what I am doing there with them.

I have seen the benitits we have achieved with clients over months and years and its very special to me to be involved in another persons evolution even in a very small way.