Megan needs computer help :(

I have a MacBook Pro. I spilled soup on it. I unscrewed the back of the computer and dried it out. The computer is working fine but the battery is not. I need to have it plugged in 100% of the time for it to work.

I do not want to take it in to the Apple Store or have any technician look at it. Call me paranoid, but I don't want the potential of anyone seeing my CERB activities and whatnot. I want to fix this myself. Any suggestions?

Do you know of anyone that has a MacBook pro? If so, try their battery to see if it will work in yours....if it does, then all you need is a new battery. Good luck!

Not sounding glib Megan, but it just may be the battery is shot from being wet and it needs to be replaced. The good thing is your computer is still working, albeit plugged in.

Don't know if that helps

RG

it could be still wet around the battery try taking it out and drying it off i have to plug my laptop in all the time but i know the battery is done

Your battery is possibly hooped, but as stupid as it sounds, throw it in a bag of rice and leave it for a day or two. Suck out the moisture. Very common thing to do for cel phones when they get wet and seems to work sometimes.... and yes I know it sounds ridiculous ;)

A few people have told me to take out the battery and dry it, but here is a huge warning sticker 'do not remove battery' on it!! Why is that? What will happen if I break the tape and remove it?

Posted via Mobile Device

What will happen if I break the tape and remove it?

Posted via Mobile Device

Steve Jobs will be really sad?

Nah, shouldn't be a problem. Youtube here on macbook pro 17'', and many others...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qcvlftmcM

It should probably be said that doing any of this yourself will almost certainly invalidate the warranty on the laptop... but given that you don't want to take it in to Apple at all anyway, I assume this isn't a big issue.

Probably Apple has the warranty void sticker because they want customers to pay $$$ to Apple by bringing in their computers in to get a new battery replaced. Just a thought

RG

Have dealt with similar accidents before.

Drying it out is not good enough, should be flushed with clean water, (distilled even better). or electronic spray. Soup has lots of salt, residue can short tiny circuits. Not suggesting you soak the battery, but look closely at battery connections and circuits nearby, and anywhere the soup went. The battery is likely fried, but cleaning might fix a bad connection that makes it appear dead or wont charge.

Just like corrosion on a car battery terminals.

If you purchased it recently with a credit card, it may be covered by the card's warranty.

Worst case, your home insurance will cover it, but it may be less than the deductable.

Warning: The following statement will make some Apple "fan boys" mad: I can't think of any PC laptop that won't let you easily change the battery.

Have dealt with similar accidents before.

Drying it out is not good enough, should be flushed with clean water, (distilled even better). or electronic spray. Soup has lots of salt, residue can short tiny circuits. Not suggesting you soak the battery, but look closely at battery connections and circuits nearby, and anywhere the soup went. The battery is likely fried, but cleaning might fix a bad connection that makes it appear dead or wont charge.

Just like corrosion on a car battery terminals.

Rubbing alcohol can be used as a cleaning or flushing agent on electronics and evaporates quickly.

As a last resort, you can immerse the battery in rubbing alcohol for a day to try and disolve any buildup and then flush it out.

Probably Apple has the warranty void sticker because they want customers to pay $$$ to Apple by bringing in their computers in to get a new battery replaced. Just a thought

RG

That's excatly why they do it!