Sad News

Dennis Ritchie has died.

"Who was he?", I hear you ask. He was a key architect of the C programming language (40 years old, which is an eternity in the world of high-tech, and still used for a great many performance-critical applications). He was also a key player in the development of the UNIX operating system, which still runs a great many systems today. Its better-known modern variants include Linux, Android, and Apple's iOS and OS X and their successors. And most of us couldn't live without our smartphones.

He's probably had more impact on our lives than Steve Jobs; but since what he worked on was the unglamorous guts of the machine rather than the bit you can see and touch, he'll never get the public recognition he deserves. But he probably wouldn't really have wanted it; like most people of his caliber, what really mattered to him was the respect of his peers rather than public adulation.

#include <eulogy.h>

• Like 8

Dennis Ritchie has died.

"Who was he?", ........like most people of his caliber, what really mattered to him was the respect of his peers rather than public adulation.

Great post:

The respect of one's peers carries a value greater than money.

Thanks

CB

void Reply()

{

char szMessage[] = "

Thanks for posting!

I learned how to program in C with Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan book "The C Programming Language" way back when.

Phaedrus is right, he had/has a huge impact on our lives everyday, and will for the foreseeable future.

Not only is the C language (and it's superset C++) used to write all the operating systems for every platform be it PC, Mac, or whatever, but it is used for virtually every cell phone as well.

The languages are also used in the controllers the run your cars, your watches, TV, microwave, dishwasher, and almost anything that has a micro-controller in it."
;

}

• Like 1

Sorry to be the bummer here but it had to be said

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/chavallz1/298356_10150847376055543_774495542_21062764_1731942376_n.jpg

It's true , this wasn't called for..I just couldn't help it.

Edited by JuliasUndies
  • Like 1