New Massage Parlour

Was wondering if anyone was watching CTV winnipeg news about the new parlour opening in a month or less on higgins and main? I've heard of the guy from a friend of mine and wants to start a new business up in the area.

Don't know how he's going to get a license. I'ld expect LE to be all over him with regular raids, cause you know there isn't any other crimes going down in the city so may as well spend lots of time and money on the sex trade.

That new location certainly won't be getting any endorsements from the Youth For Christ church on the other side of Higgins. :-)

I say bring it on. Winnipeg is sorely lacking in MP options for pooners. We've had to just accept what's available for far too long becasue of all of the restrictions our city puts on new MP's.

A little more competition in the marketplace only benefits the consumer.

Was wondering if anyone was watching CTV winnipeg news about the new parlour opening in a month or less on higgins and main? I've heard of the guy from a friend of mine and wants to start a new business up in the area.

No, I didn't hear about it. What details are there?

Guest W***ledi*Time

Jen Skerritt reports for the Winnipeg Free Press, 25 Nov 2011:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/scrub-rub-parlour-city-urged-134482913.html

A core-area Christian youth centre plans to fight a city decision to allow a massage parlour to open nearby.

The City of Winnipeg recently gave Bliss Body Works the go-ahead to open a massage parlour at 328 King St., just steps away from the new, $13.5-million non-profit Youth for Christ centre, which offers recreation and counselling for young people.

Youth for Christ executive director John Courtney said "it seems a little crazy" the city would allow a massage parlour to move into the neighbourhood, as the youth centre's vision was to try to restore the area's bad reputation. In a letter to the city, Courtney said it appears the massage parlour is "much more related to the 'pleasure' aspects of massage."

He said he questions what kind of clientele the parlour, in close proximity to children at the outreach centre, will attract to the district.

The massage parlour's owner said it will not offer "explicit sexual services," but Courtney said he's already heard complaints from concerned parents.

Council's downtown development committee will review the Youth for Christ's appeal at a meeting Monday.

"My concern is what would give us the confidence that this is not a brothel in disguise," Courtney said.

"How many husbands are going to have a conversation with their wife (and say), 'I'm going for a massage at Higgins and Main?' "

The city regulates certain businesses such as massage parlours and pawn shops to prevent crime and protect the public's health and safety.

Massage parlours are only permitted inside the downtown area and employ "massagists," who are different than registered massage therapists, as they have not graduated from a recognized school of massage therapy or equivalent educational program. Currently, there are three licensed massage parlours in Winnipeg.

Bliss Body Works owner John MacKenzie said his plan is to establish a wellness centre that will also offer yoga and martial arts training.

MacKenzie said he will eventually hire a registered massage therapist and that none of his employees will offer sexual services.

"It's totally legitimate, clean massage," he said.

However, George Fraser, executive director of the Massage Therapy Association of Manitoba, said massage parlours give registered massage therapists a bad reputation, and he thinks the city should call them what they really are -- sex parlours.

"This is a level of prostitution that is permitted and allowed in the community," Fraser said.

"We don't like it being called massage; we would like it to be labelled as sex-trade parlours, and the people who work there be labelled sex-trade workers."

Fraser said the association deals with complaints every month from registered massage therapists who have been propositioned by a client who wants them to perform a sexual act they paid for at a massage parlour.

He said he has no doubt sexual favours are purchased in massage parlours.

Courtney said he has not consulted his membership about the massage parlour because he worries it will bring more attention to the problem and parents will not allow their children to visit the Christian youth centre.

"I don't understand the approval process, but I was very surprised to hear the city supports it," he said.

I don't know how well this approach is gonna work. I think he would have been better off just keeping his mouth shut and letting things blow over but he was in teh free press again saying how he's a victim of the city as there was no other category to license him under and that he's running some kind of new agey spa with martial arts training and other stuff. he's got the youth for christ guy saying he's satisfied this is a legit business in print when he finds out the truth he's going to be pretty upset and make a big fuss

Its about time we get a new parlour.....hopefully the owner does it up right , and it rivals EB/TO as far as decor and cleanliness , as we are sorely lacking in that department. I also hope that he can run the business the way it should be run , and that LE lets him run his business without all the hassels that could go with it. If the city has approved it, then it is a legal business , just like the other parlours in town , and should be viewed as such.

I always get a kick out of the perception of all the "unsavory characters" that this attracts ..........lol..most of these unsavory charchaters are the same people who drive this economy , and are high up in organizations that are making well over $60,000 - $100,000 a year.....and they are unsavory???.......lol.....what about the bumms that are in that area now!!.....in all likelihood there will be more affluent people in the area then bums /panhandlers once this buisness opens!!....

I look forward to its opening , and doen't anyone realize that people who will frequent this establishment will consist of businessmen , polaticians(all levels including MP's), policemen, firemen, pro hockey players (NHL), pro football players(CFL), semipro baseball players, executives, sports fans who can afford $175 seats and box offices, and just your average Joe. If anybody thinks any different they are kidding themselves!

Seems unlikely there was an ad a while back on BP looking for Tantric Masseuse trainess for a new parlor on Kings st opening soon. I can't see it being called Tantric if rubbing of the dingus isn't involved

I talked to the guy in person he was outside smoking a cig and told me this will be a good this for new people. He wouldn't tell me exactly what that meant cause this is a new place but said this. It will cut into EB/TO business. That tells me one thing new place in town. He wouldnt come out with a statement like that. He's got it so it makes it look like a sports fitness place in which he has done his work on this business and makes it look alot better.

Whether it's legit or not, I likely won't be going there just yet. It'll be under a lot of scrutiny to start off with, and I don't like the idea of that much attention.

Also - only 3 licensed parlours? I'm guessing those would be EB, B'ways and Nevada. What about Moonlight? How are they still in business?

It's on the TV and papers,the town council approved of the opening of the business license as a massage parlor. The owner wants the business under massage therapy.But only female staff is hired.Keep your eyes peel in January.

Alot of unfavourable conditions were met before the town council gave the green light. eg.No hours of operation allowed after 7pm(who gets the need in the day?)Everyone therapists needs to be licensed.(as if a few months of so called training considered when a real mt takes 2 years)

I can't see myself visiting there you'll be under surveliance for a very long time.

well for me Im going first day it opens so I can be on ctv news or global news getting out of my car and going back in my car just in under 20 minutes :)

Wasn't Mary Magdelin (sp?) an SP? Just like old times for the Christians!

I'm sure there were no shortage of sps back then but the Bible never describes Mary Magdelin as one Pope Gregory labelled her that in 591 AD

Actually, when Mary Magdalene is introduced by Luke and Jesus casts out seven demons that plagued her, which is given as evidence of sexual misconduct and prostitution. And, Jesus's words "Her sins are many, but they are forgiven, because she loved me much" are taken to again indicate that she was known as a prostitute (her many "sins").

In fact, the practice of prostitution in biblical times went through a number of changes in acceptance and censure. You have to remember, the old temple practices that still existed while Christianity was coming into prominence were at odds with "new" thinking about the sinfullness of sex. So, you still had temple prostitutes as part of a more pagan tradition, and you had Christian thinking. Generally, even Christian thought was that prostitution was acceptable under certain circumstances. For instance, Saint Augustine was a firm believer that if you git rid of prostitution, you were putting people's souls at risk because of the central tension between the body (and lust) and the spirit; remove the sexual outlet, and uncontrolled lust would damage the soul.

That's enough thinking for one Saturday. My brain hurts.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk