iPhone email notification

I have probably the most prehistoric iphone there is and am somewhat illiterate in the terminology but here goes:

I have a 3G (?) iphone and the email notification is very quiet, and delayed. I have it set to push every 15 minutes but I find that I often miss emails!

this.is.so.frustrating.

Is there anything I can do for the notification tone? Other than jailbreaking? Or at this point in it's age in history, should I just jailbreak it anyway consider the Apple store told me they have no record of my warranty anyway?

Please & Thank-you,

zoe

Guest S*rca****sid

The purpose of jailbreaking an iPhone is to install apps that are not approved by Apple itself. If you have no intention of installing an app, then why go through the process?

The reason why Apple may not have a record of warranty is you probably bought your device through your cell phone carrier and the warranty would be through them. Check with your carrier, also because you have the 3G version, you may be entitled to an upgrade to the 4G version.

As for why your phone is missing some emails, if the problem is not with the phone, it could be something with your email service. Double check to see if the settings on your email are correct. Your cellphone carrier will be able to assist you as essentially it is their system that is connecting to your email.

Check out the Apple Lovers social group.

Guest Ou**or**n

Use a gmail account and set it up as an Exchange account on your iPhone. Google has instructions. When setup that way your notifications will be as near instantaneous as a Blackberry (there is reason they are losing market share).

In terms of loudness - if the volume is up all the way then there isn't much you can do. It may be a hardware issue.

Is you phone a 3G or a 3GS? if it's the S then you might want to do the IOS5 update, it takes a while but it fixed a lot of problems when I did it for my 3GS phone, As for the sound just pick a louder one in the settings. If it's just a 3G then your pretty much out of luck!

Ya, I'm outta luck, my notification cannot be changed for email on my phone. That is the main issue. I compared today on the delay for emails from my hotmail synched to my phone. The problem is I just can't always hear the email notifications, unless I have the phone right by me, and even then...

Oh well, time for a new phone I guess!

Thanks for all your help!

Use a gmail account and set it up as an Exchange account on your iPhone. Google has instructions. When setup that way your notifications will be as near instantaneous as a Blackberry (there is reason they are losing market share). In terms of loudness - if the volume is up all the way then there isn't much you can do. It may be a hardware issue.

Actually why not pay $5/month (a small price to pay) and have access to Google Apps. Some of the advantages (to many to mention them all):

25 GB of storage (even if you are a heavy email user you can keep everything) and have the power of Google search on all your email no matter how old or disorganized.

If you have your own domain, it can be pointed at Gmail/Google Apps so messages come from and to your domain (not gmail.com) and you can even upload all your existing messages if using Outlook now.

Works perfectly with Blackberry, iPhone and of course Android. A little trickier to set up right on Blackberry (contact me for details if you are interested) but then you have all the advantages of a corporate implementation of Blackberry without the costs (email, calendar and contact sync) so when you read or delete a message (on your mobile) it shows up in Gmail as read/deleted. Also send items is sync'd, wow, a permanent record of everything.

Accessible from anywhere, it's also the most secure... you can set up two factor authentication with Google Authenticator. So every time you use a random computer to check your email no worries about key stroke loggers or anything else as the password will be unique for that session only (asks to re authenticate only once every 30 days on your own computer if you tell it to).

For an SP that wants security and the ability to see everything in a millisecond that might have been exchanged with a client in the past, I can't imagine a better or more versatile email solution.

And then there is the calendar and contacts sync. Just put an appointment in your gmail calendar and it magically shows up on your mobile device.

PM me with any specific questions, I'm a convert for sure.