Sign in to follow this  

Legalize prostitution (In the news again)

Legalize prostitution

I know these stories are everywhere right now, but I found this very well written and it points a finger at the people who find this profession morally wrong. This story was written by law professor ALAN YOUNG and can be found in full on the globe and mail site at this link at the bottom of this post...

Here are some quotes from the story...

We call prostitution the world's oldest profession for good reason. Prostitution flourished in biblical times. When Jesus reprimanded the priestly caste for wanting to stone a prostitute, it should have signalled the end of the punitive approach to this social dilemma. Jesus said only those without sin should cast the first stone; somehow, over the ages, this has been transformed into a licence for a multitude of petty sinners to cast many stones in the direction of hookers. Last I looked, we have been casting 6,000 to 10,000 criminal charges a year, but the business continues to thrive.

and I especially like his closing line...

With a shift in legal perspective and the removal of legal obstacles standing in the way of safe sex work, we may be able to save lives. In any moral school of thought, the sanctity of life trumps sexual morality.

Full story here

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070119.wxcopros19/BNStory/specialComment/home