"Selling Sex in Heaven" documentary

There is an interesting and eye-opening documentary on the sex trade in the Philippines. Seeing this might make some of you that do sex junkets to these poor countries to rethink your next sex vacation.

This is a must-see show!

It is on channel 15, CBC Newsworld - The Lens

Saturday, January 20, 2007, 10:00 p.m. (This is airing a couple of times on Saturday so check your local tv listings)

Selling Sex in Heaven

Sex Tourism in the Philippines seen through a bar called Heaven - narrated by Kiefer Sutherland.

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/program_160107.html

SELLING SEX IN HEAVEN

Tuesday January 16, 2007 & Saturday January 20, 2007 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld

Mila works at Heaven, a little bar located in "blowjob alley", a notorious magnet for sex tourists in the Philippines. Like many young women forced into prostitution, Mila hopes that she'll be rescued from Heaven and taken to America for a better life. Narrated by actor Kiefer Sutherland, Selling Sex in Heaven is a heartbreaking documentary that examines the sex trade industry in the Philippines and how this nasty but lucrative business traps many young women.

Selling Sex in Heaven visits the social hygiene clinic where hundreds of young women line up daily for health checks. Following these visits, the women are issued passes certifying their good health. They wear badges around their necks or on their bikinis while dancing for Western men. In a more sobering scene, the film captures a dramatic rescue of 17 young girls (some as young as 10 years old) from a local brothel.

Told through the eyes of two female Canadian students and a male university professor from Nova Scotia now living in the Philippines, Selling Sex in Heaven captures two years of Mila's life and the people who befriend her. Witness the complexity of prostitution and the conflicting attitudes of people affected by this demeaning industry, including prostitutes, community workers and even clients.

Selling Sex in Heaven was produced and directed by Meredith Ralston of Ralston Productions (Halifax).

This is an eye-opening show. The women are "screened" weekly for STDs but only for some STDs, not all. The "screening" consists of just a visual inspection for visible signs of disease. There are no swabs taken, no blood tests, no urine tests and they are not tested for HIV/AIDS yet they are given a clean bill of health and sent on their way. Condoms are hard to come by and their customers are not screened at all. Two of the girls both wound up pregnant by "johns" and both wound up with HIV and one died from AIDS only 2 months after she was first diagnosed.

Are some of you squirming in your seat yet? You will be after watching this show!

Hope in Heaven (AKA: Selling Sex in Heaven)

Visit the official website to read more about this film.

http://www.hopeinheavenfilm.com/

Human Rights Watch

Read reports about sex workers in the Philippines.

http://hrw.org/doc/?t=asia&c=philip

Guest butterflyinac

Well since I got back from that vary area and had a hotel literally on Santos Street, but $100 a night I can say that documentary is so one-sided its barely worth the value of the video for information. More like a micheal moore equivalent but done on the sex trade. Done by semi-religious dogooders.

Now they never showed the other bars on the inside, the main ones on feilds, where the girls party like crazy. Not that its all good anywhere but they picked the worse case scenario and ran with it.

Santos street is the most run down area, and for the most part the worse case scenario for the people... and of course a few months and it wont exist. The whole street is becoming condos and hotels.

A closer to real view would be the red light district documentary on the sex channel for angeles city.

Guest sexyndnwoman

I have seen this documentary and it thoroughly sickeneed me. I pray that those woman will find a better way in life, and those perpitrators will get caught.

Guest Jfl

I do not have any considerations for that kind of perpitrators. Prison is the only place for them. Fortunately there is a better situation here in Canada for the ladies, but we can still hear some pretty sad stories in the news. I also hope those women will find a better way in life.